AMD: 7nm Navi and Epyc 2 launch in third quarter

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 1, 2019.

1. GamerNerves

GamerNerves Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Nitro+
    As a reminder, the vast majority don't want to spend anything more than about 300 € on a GPU. Navi will give these people now a decent upgrade path, unlike current Nvidia's offerings. Is there any major setback to be faced? Power consumption is the setback, but not on a 300 € Navi, rather the high end. In today's climate about the world's climate, going green is extending to home electronics, like it has in the past too, but now more than ever. I'm certainly happy that I bought GTX 1070 instead of RX 480 back in 2016 - the amount of power I have saved in comparison with my amount of gaming is big.

Now, Navi is likely a power efficient chip which may sound surprising, but it's that because it is designed first and foremost to be one. It can scale for sure, but the debate is how far and with what cost? I fully expect Navi to reach RTX 2070 level of performance and more, but the power consumption is going to suck I assume. Over 200 W in today's climate is bad for any graphic card. The upcoming consoles will likely suck under 200 W total, which is one major selling point that can be advertised, thanks to Navi of course.

Just like Vega is computationally and as an integrated piece an excellent product, so is Navi going to be excellent for console level of performance and for the mainstream market, better than Polaris was at the time. The problem is that nerds here and elsewhere are going to be disappointed unless power consumption is no issue. My expection is a relatively bad power consumption over GTX 1080 level of performance, where the consumption seriously spikes up and ruins the day.

Last edited: May 3, 2019
    AuerX likes this.
  2. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    There are plenty of nvidia geforce graphics cards that are under 300 that are a good upgrade path. Where AMD is currently besting nvidia is 180 and lower.

Sure, you're talking about navi, but there's no reason to expect AMDs offerings will be any better then what nvidia is doing at the 200-300 price range.

And again, sure, we can "hope", but you stated "Navi will give these people now a decent upgrade path, unlike current Nvidia's offerings." and we don't know that, at all. All we can expect is that they will match their performance and dollar amount since the pricing of the 1660 and 1660 ti are already pretty similar when it comes to graphics cards (not much room between 219-279)

Maddness likes this.
  3. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    cc
    I fully agree.
    Navi will have a really good perf/watt up to a point, like Vega, but the top Navi will probably be 25% over that in perf, for an extra 50% power, or more.
    Seriously limits any overclocking headroom too...

GamerNerves likes this.
  4. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt

Denial said it all

5. mockingbird1

mockingbird1 Guest

GPU:
    8 GB
    That already exist today.

It's called the Radeon RX Vega 56/64

6. mockingbird1

mockingbird1 Guest

GPU:
    8 GB
    ...based on what?

AdoredTV's hoax?

7. MaxBlade

MaxBlade Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti/970/390/+ more
    Man lol how sad... all those people that just bought a VII .. wow good luck trying to sell it.. so sad..

8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Adored says exactly opposite for some time.

9. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    No matter how power hungry they turn out to be, i just want them to compete with gtx 2070 @,a significantly smaller die area. That is what matters most to AMD for keeping the asking price low which also will ensure better yields and good supply from the start.

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    It will be the first launch of Xe....and their 3rd attempt at a discrete GPU. Their second attempt ended up being released as an accelerator card instead.

11. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    Ahh, just jesting.

I remember the i740 launch and reviews at the time.
    It was terrible.

I think they'll get it right this time though.
    I was just reading a thing about Xe possibly using AVX for some compute loads.
    Using the CPU's AVX (probably only Intels AVX implementation, or optimized for it at the very least.)
    That would tie Xe GPUs to Intel CPUs for the best performance.

Whats to stop AMD doing the same thing ?
    Making their GPUs best performance on an AMD platform ?
    In both cases, you tightly tie the GPU to the CPU, leveraging the benefits.

Nvidia could be left out in the cold, unless another Desktop CPU vendor appears...
    This could happen in the Server Space too, effectively pushing Nvidia out of the market.
    Food for thought.

edit : They never actually launched Larrabee as a GPU though, so I dont count it as a failed launch or product. It found its niche. :)

12. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    The most you can fail at a launch is no launch at all.

13. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    Nah, the worst launch is having a big live show, a blue screen with your brand new operating system basically telling everyone, "hey, you're gonna be getting a lot of these.".
    lol :)

14. Richard Nutman

Richard Nutman Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7800XT