Borderlands 3

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by scaredchimp, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I trust Randy Pitchford about as far as I can throw him.

Eddings essentially played a major part in creating the mascot for the series, and is a major selling point for many people. Given all the information I've seen regarding this game so far, coupled with the ranting and raving of Pitchford, I'll wait for a deep sale on Steam at best.

Kolt likes this.
  2. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Let's clarify this, mascot yes, selling point for the game 100% not even close to being a selling point for the game. No one is buying this game because it has Claptrap in it. You clearly think the same way the VA does that he is far more important than he actually is. Will it be distracting that Claptrap may sound a bit different.... honestly I'll be shocked if I even notice it and if I do it will last as long as the first few interactions last and then it will be forgotten. Will it stop me from buying the game, nope not even a chance.

Just watched the game play footage for BL3 and claptrap sounds enough like he did that I wouldn't care, chances are if it wasn't for this post I wouldn't have even noticed.

3. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I hate to break it to you but I know at least two people who bought Borderlands 2 and the Prequel in large due to Claptrap, and I've been told first hand by one of those people that they'll not be buying Borderlands 3 due to this change. So that's your assertion out the window completely. If you think Claptrap isn't a major selling point to many you're naive, he's the face of Borderlands and did a hell of a lot to sell and define the series. Eddings was a large part of that, and asking to be paid what you're worth is not expecting too much. I'm sure the game will still sell very well (although given the back hander from Epic that's less of a concern for them), but to claim "nobody" is that invested in Claptrap or Eddings is asinine, people aren't a collective and you are not their representative.

If you believe Pitchford is honest in his claims that Eddings was offered a fair contract I'll direct you to every gross exaggeration and flat out lie he's spewed in the past.

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    Stone Gargoyle and lucidus like this.
  4. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    But this time round they were not using money from Atari funded A:CM that was being syphoned into BL2, so this time they had to pay the guy out of their own pocket. lol

5. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I bought presequel because of claptrap :p I wouldn't have bothered otherwise. I wanted handsome jack too but I wasn't interested in paying more.

Darkest likes this.
  6. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    when ubisoft replaced Michael Ironside with Eric Johnson
    when Konami replaced David Hayter with Kiefer Sutherland
    when Bungie replaced Peter Dinklage with Nolan North and there was one less wizard from the moon well mebbe not lol

point bein ask any one of the voice actors who has been attached to any one character for a long time what they think about voicing any fan fav and the one thing they will do is look you in the eye and say well I dont just voice that character I AM THAT CHARACTER

We’ve all been through the horror of our favourite character being replaced by a new actor. But how many times has that happened in video games and resulted in the character becoming worse in the process? There are plenty of extraneous factors involved but let’s take a look at 13 voice actor replacements in video games that managed to make their characters a less appealing.

https://gamingbolt.com/13-unpopular-voice-actor-replacements-in-video-games

so yer pls dont say like it makes no difference to some when it actually means everything to many

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  7. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    I always felt that Claptrap was annoying personally. Almost like they tried too hard to make a likable character.. but I know a lot of people who like him so it must have worked :p

8. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I loved the guy. I even played poker with him :D

Kolt likes this.
  9. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    I loved those poker games! (1 and 2)

They need to make another one..

10. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Claptrap is still in the game - the only thing that's changed is the voice actor. Not that it makes a difference anyway - I've watched the pre-release gameplay video and the voice is very similar (so much so that I would assume it was the same actor if this wasn't making the rounds). Not using the original actor certainly sucks, but this in no way breaks the appeal of Claptrap or the game (voice actor <> game character). As long as he has a similar personality, voice and look, what does it matter?

This is like someone refusing to play Johnny Cage in Mortal Kombat 11 because they didn't use the same voice actor as in X. It's about the most trivial thing imaginable.

metagamer likes this.

11. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    I'm intrigued. Do elaborate. Not flaming, just curious why you're writing the game off when it's not even close to release date.

12. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    The thing is, we have no idea about the whole thing. Claptrap voice actor possibly asked for too much money? Also, he doesn't work for the company any more and we have no idea why. Maybe they ended their relationship on a sour note?

Either way, for all we know, the Claptrap voice actor got sacked for under performing and now he's all open about how he's not doing it for free. Look, I'm not saying this is exactly what is happening, but the matter of the fact is, we just don't know.

So... I'll happily ignore the flame war between the two sides because we have no insight into what is actually going on.

13. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    I don't think that's what Pitchford is aiming at. I think Pithford is on about the fact that Eddings was being paid good money at the time he voiced Claptrap.

I'm not fussed either way. If the game is a solid looter shooter, I'm in. That's all that matters to me. Eddings or not, he's not the selling point to me, not even close.

This drama is funny to watch though, from both sides. I love you man :p

14. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Yes, as a VP at Gearbox, it goes without saying that he was making good money for the job he was doing.
    But, he did an additional task... and saved the company money by doing Claptrap's voice himself. He saved them having to pay another voice actor, plus the time and money it takes to find the right actor for the part.

It's not unreasonable for him to now want to be paid for the work, since he no longer works for GBX.
    And, considering what has happened with Troy Baker, I find it hard to take anything Randy says seriously. Specially with how upset and pissy he gets on twitter.
    I mean, it does kind of say something that in Randy's post he refers to him as "Mr. Eddings", a very cold, formal and distant way of referencing someone. Not exactly how you would refer to a former co-worker you liked and got along with.

Kolt and Darkest like this.
  15. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Really you hate to break it to me, I bet you could barely wait to jump in to tell me that YOU know someone who won't buy the game because of the new VA because of course YOU know someone but given that YOU claim it is such a huge thing and lynch pin that sold a game series, not the unique art style, game play, gun mechanics, looter shooter, world of Pandora, the enemies or the other characters I would be safe in assuming that places like the Youtube comments and Steam reviews would be alive with the masses screaming about this so called game defining change and how they won't be buying it now because new Claptrap VA means it's not the same game anymore.

So why am I not shocked to find that no one is talking about it and the four comments I found about it in the Gameplay Reveal video didn't have a single person saying they won't buy the game because of the new VA. So yes of course YOU know someone so yes you're right. 100% not a selling point is wrong so I'll change that to take in to account your mate Sir Made Up On The Spot. 99.999999999999998% not a selling point.

Well done you managed to find the one person on the planet who actually was stupid enough to say they won't buy a game because they changed the VA and expects anyone to take anything they say seriously in the future. I have to assume that YOU managed to find the only person because I looked for other people saying the same thing or in fact showing any sort of level of outrage at what you claim to be a game selling factor and the general opinion seemed to be a massive... well nothing. Almost like Clap trap and specifically his VA were never a selling point for the game, but hey what do I know YOU know someone so all these folk showing no outrage at all about it must be wrong.

16. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    here we go again lol

Kolt likes this.
  17. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Let me remind you of what you said:

You were wrong.

People I know prove you wrong, people in this thread prove you wrong. You seem to have a tendency to look for information that confirms your opinion, rather than try to understand that others want different things. There are articles all over the net regarding Eddings not voicing Claptrap in BL3 with no small amount of outrage in the comment sections. As for calling someone an idiot for having principles regarding how the industry acts, and a love for a specific character, I think that says a lot more about you than it does the other guy.

I'll reiterate: You were wrong.

Get over it and grow up.

Kolt likes this.
  18. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Try to not argue with one another.

Kolt, Stone Gargoyle and Darkest like this.
  19. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Agreed.
    Could we not do this.

Darkest and Kolt like this.
  20. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    *sigh*

Well done 4 people in a group of 15million, you found them you're right I am wrong.