Mozilla Firefox, new releases, Add-Ons, tips for customisation Part 2

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by vbetts, Sep 24, 2018.

1. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Recently have an issue with Firefox (stable/official/nightly) and flash player. Anything flash player based will crash as soon as it's loaded. Other browsers work fine (Opera, Chrome) etc. Reinstalled, etc, all the usual stuff. Even GPU drivers in case it was hardware acceleration causing it. Anyone got some ideas?

2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    hmm i dont even think flash is enable in my FF anymore, I do know the TDR crash that Mozilla had the good sense to contain with in Firefox window have started again

Firefox is only thing that causes TDR issue on my system

I think the backed of Firefox is just buggy or unstable, guess it depend on who you choose to look at it, I mean there people with issue in regard to HW acceleration in Firefox still to this day

3. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I have another system running Firefox and flash fine, it started crashing only recently, it might push me to another browser such as Opera :eek:

[​IMG]

4. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    The 32-bit version is fine so it's something to do with the built in Flash in the 64-bit versions. I'll use that for now.`

5. Susahamat

Susahamat Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060ti
    [​IMG]

such a rare issue isn't it ?

6. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    This happened to me all my extensions were disabled.
    I should have checked google for other users, but I removed extensions, but then couldn't add them (firefox said to check my connection).
    The fix after an hr or so changed date/time in win10, then I was able to add the extensions back, then check/enable the auto time in the clock.
    restart FF, all is still good, hope it doesn't break again as I even tried a new profile but that didn't help.

7. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    If they don't fix it, it will break again within 24 hours because the extension certificate expiration date seems to be checked once a day.

But I think they'll probably fix it within 24 hours.

8. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    About:Debugging and then load temporary add-on and set it to the Appdata\Roaming\Firefox\ and profile folder here and extensions folder and the XPI's from here.
    Only lasts for the current session, nightly build users can also disable the signature setting but this does nothing for the release and beta versions. :)

Other than that? It's being investigated but who forgot to check the certification expiration date because that's kinda important.

https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/bkhtv8/heres_whats_going_on_with_your_addons_being/

https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/co...addons_got_disabled_and_they_are_all/emggvbx/

EDIT:

:D

: D

Oh.

About : Debugging sans spacing.

9. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    And here I thought I had gone and broke my browser again (none of my plugin works), but good to know it's a known issue. However this is a big duck up on their part and I'm disappointed.

10. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    You're probably right but like an idiot, I removed them so I had to reset uBlock origin all over again.
    It is working this morning fine but we will see, I will just leave it this time.

11. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    An easier method is to go to "about:config" and set "devtools.chrome.enabled" to true (you do that by just double-clicking it.) After that, open a new tab, then press Ctrl+Shift+J. (New tab because the Guru3D forums is hijacking your keyboard shortcuts.) In the window that pops up, paste this:

Code:
    // Re-enable *all* extensions

async function set_addons_as_signed() {
        Components.utils.import("resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIDatabase.jsm");
        Components.utils.import("resource://gre/modules/AddonManager.jsm");
        let addons = await XPIDatabase.getAddonList(a => true);

for (let addon of addons) {
            // The add-on might have vanished, we'll catch that on the next startup
            if (!addon._sourceBundle.exists())
                continue;

if( addon.signedState != AddonManager.SIGNEDSTATE_UNKNOWN )
                continue;

addon.signedState = AddonManager.SIGNEDSTATE_NOT_REQUIRED;
            AddonManagerPrivate.callAddonListeners("onPropertyChanged",
                                                    addon.wrapper,
                                                    ["signedState"]);

await XPIDatabase.updateAddonDisabledState(addon);

}
        XPIDatabase.saveChanges();
    }

set_addons_as_signed();

Press enter. Your extensions will be valid for another 24 hours. By that time, Mozilla will probably have fixed the issue. If not, then simply repeat the above.

(Script taken from https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=19824410)

12. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Ok, thanks did it, would this work after extensions got disabled to?

13. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    You only need to do this if your extensions got disabled. If they are not disabled, you don't need this.

14. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Installed nightly and OK for now. Hope it gets fixed soon.

386SX likes this.
  15. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    I installed Firefox Developer Edition and have no issues with addons anymore. In addition I set this entry they write about to run unsigned addons.
    Then I ran it once and closed it again, then went to APPDATA/LOCAL and /ROAMING, went to each Mozilla/Firefox/profile folder and renamed the old Firefox folder to the name of the Developer Firefox one (after copying its name and deleting it).
    Ran Dev Firefox again and have all bookmarks, passwords, etc.

16. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
  17. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I also use Comodo's IceDragon, a FF based browser that is usually a couple versions behind FF. Am finding it more reliable (and secure of course, being from Comodo). Since all FF extensions compatible with it, beginning to see no point in FF anymore. Also since a couple versions behind (v64), it sort of shields you from FF devs cock-ups if or when they occur on latest FF builds.

https://www.comodo.com/home/browsers-toolbars/icedragon-browser.php

18. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    I was going to ask for an update, but apparently they've closed the comment section on their blog.

19. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    None of my extensions have been disabled (yet). I would've lost it if they were though. I abandoned vivaldi for firefox just a few days ago lol.

20. Dimitrios1983

Dimitrios1983 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580
    FIREFOX add-ons are down with my pc as well and it SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I visited a few sites and wow the garbage! Taking the day off to two till this $hit gets fixed. I hate adds so much I'm willing to stay away from the internet. This $hit sucks and it's annoying.