Review: AMD Athlon 220GE and 240GE processors

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 3, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Are you on the lookout for an affordable processor that will cover all your browsing or media center needs including an integrated graphics unit?, hey, AMD might just have the perfect value proc avail...

Review: AMD Athlon 220GE and 240GE processors

Embra and chispy like this.
  2. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    you can OC it as well on Asrock motherboard :)
    I agree with you with the fact that even a 200GE is enough as once OC you will get the same result than the most expensive one.
    It is an ultra cool CPU for HTPC, even OCed it can be cooled passively... for this use it's gold.

3. FrostNixon

FrostNixon Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    At this price those CPUs seem really nice, definitely a better pick than the pentium.

4. Vananovion

Vananovion Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 16GB
    I am quite impressed at how well the ZEN and Vega archs scale (though Vega only down). Also, while these products aren't something I would buy for myself, it's good to know they are out there and how they perform in case someone asks me to build them a low-budget PC.

5. boerenlater

boerenlater Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 610 silent
    What about oc'ing the igpu?

6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Review focus was on the cpu's. Anyway, its the same vega11 chip thats on 200ge, 1500mhz is the ceiling.

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    uh... what year is this?

8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    @Hilbert Hagedoorn , I have a suggestion:
    For low-end products like this, of course it's fun to see where you can push them to overclock, but I think it's actually more interesting and useful to know what it takes to make it passively cooled, or perhaps making it fit in the smallest possible chassis you can get.
    So, for example, you could have some pretty interesting content regarding performance and stability while undervolting under 100% load (including iGPU), with and without passive cooling. I think some people might even care about seeing how low you can set the power draw, since that could allow people to use something like a PicoPSU.

The only reason why any Guru3D readers would care about getting an Athlon (or a Pentium or Celeron) is for specialized environments. Since these products are highly affordable, I think people might actually have an increased interest in seeing what these products are capable of in ways they don't normally approach.

9. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I didn't think memory increase would help considering the 2 cores are on the same substrate though?
    Not sure what you're getting at? Are you saying this because of the performance of the CPU?

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    This CPU was released in 2018, so I think he's implying that this review seems late. But... this CPU is a bit technologically dated, too (and so is the name).

11. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    True but with faster memory now at least. Really though, for super budget cpu that's open to be upgraded on a platform can't really expect a lot.

12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    No, i thought this was a review of an old Athlon processor lol, totallly slipped my mind that the Athlon brand had been revived for these 2 parts.

I feel these parts should have been kept off the consumer market and made available only to OEM's selling office pc's. the 2200G is more likely to be the lowest anyone building an aio htpc will want to go.

typhon6657 and vbetts like this.
  13. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA

;) Announced Dec 2018, AMD shipped them Q1 2019.

14. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    igpu cannot be overclock it is hardware locked but with the Ram overclocking capabilities it does perform better the higher the Ram is overclock.

@Hilbert Hagedoorn great review , it is indeed lots of fun to tweak this tiny 2 cores cpus.

15. TLD LARS

TLD LARS Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Ryzen 2200G cost a fair bit more then the 220G, here in Denmark and the 220G is almost half the TDP.
    The 220G would be a perfect replacement for my old passively cooled AM1 2Ghz Quadcore 25W TDP.

16. horrih

horrih Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6Go
    Great review !

I would have liked a comparison with intel's offering (I3 and pentium G4560).
    A chart with synthetic performance of CPUs (and another one for ther iGPU if they have one), sorted by price would be an awesome addition : that's what i needed 6 months ago when I built a budget home computer for my inlaws

17. Celcius

Celcius Master Guru

GPU:
    Orchid Pro Designer
    I've been running a 200GE for a few months. (I already had a spare B350 motherboard and 2666MHz RAM.) Even at 3.2GHz, using the IGP, it had no trouble doing all the usual day-to-day tasks, including full-screen HD video. When the unlock became available with a BIOS update, I easily reached 3.9GHz, using a stock FX-8350 HSF, and never exceeded 1.38V. Temperatures are quite good, too. (About 52°C max under load.) Curiously, that heatsink and fan never seemed remotely as quiet on an AM3+ system as it is now. I've no plans to replace it.

Teamed it up with an idle 16CU RX560 and an ancient Dell 1600x900 monitor, and it was more than enough to get me to an enjoyable Level 24 on yet another playthrough of the very bipolar-performing Fallout 4.

I'm not suggesting this would be a wonderful Assassin's Creed: Odyssey CPU, but, on the other hand, the Athlon set me back just $50 USD; less than the retail price of that game. Since I already had the motherboard and RAM, this was a fun, low-cost, low-risk experiment. While it wouldn't make much sense to build a system from scratch around this processor, there is also the reality that such a system would have a fairly robust upgrade option in terms of available CPUs.

chispy likes this.
  18. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    @Celcius heh yeah the sky is the limit ! Most likely if you feel like it you can pop up to a r7 3700 in it with any gpu you wish and turn it into a little monster! Although for your use case it seems that the more interesting releases would be a potential 3xxGE or 4xxGE ! If or when those come out!

19. JethroTu11

JethroTu11 Member

GPU:
    GTX 1050ti
    Hilbert, thanks for humbling yourself to test such a "crappy" apu.

It's nice to see the RAM running above 2667 mhz. I wish these had been released when the first R3s were. I'd have bought a 200GE instead of a R3 1200. For $50, it looks like a great apu. My biggest interest would have been to have an early and inexpensive look at AM4 that would do many of things I regularly do. That's the exact reason I bought a 1200.

Thanks AMD for making building a simple computer so inexpensive.

20. vestibule

vestibule Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    It would have been good if you had reported on the play back quality of Blu ray.
    But TY.