Borderlands 3

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by scaredchimp, Mar 27, 2019.

1. MarkyG

MarkyG Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4070Ti
  2. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I guess the smart thing to do would be to wait for the complete game of the year edition or whatever it's called to get all of the game together in one piece.

3. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Yeah.
    Considering how much DLC and such they added to BL2 and the Pre-Sequel, just seems that waiting for a "Game of the Year Edition" or such makes more sense.

4. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Yong is pretty quick....

5. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    Just Randy being Randy .. the POS that he is ..

Kolt likes this.
  6. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Imagine having to put up with this manchild at the office everyday!

I watched some of the bl3 gameplay video and it was was more of the same as expected but have they changed claptrap's voice? Something's off.

Kolt likes this.
  7. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I started to watch the gameplay reveal, but when the audience starting cheering like crazy because they added the ability to slide and mantel... I... kind of decided that was enough.

I mean, yeah they are good gameplay features. But, they didn't innovate BL3... they just added stuff that's been in the genre for years.
    But, with it just looking like BL2 HD... I can easily wait for a sale.

That, and the writing/humor in the reveal was... just... awful.

Kolt likes this.
  8. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    I've never been able to finish a Borderlands game in the past because I've always felt like they were kind of mediocre and repetitive/boring. Going by the trailers and leaked footage I have to agree with you here.. I don't think there is enough here to really interest me too much and it doesn't look like there was much of an improvement overall. Hopefully there is more to this game, as these "loot" based games just don't appeal to me that much.. I want them too, and I want to enjoy something like Borderlands.. but there needs to be compelling enough game play and not just the loot to chase. I feel like a lot of these games just go for that constant dopamine hit when loot drops as opposed to chasing real innovative game play that is just fun to play.. I don't think my enjoyment in games can be that simple as I feel that I need more from a game..

9. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    The first BL was a chore to finish.
    While I really enjoyed it at first, the more I played the harder and harder it got to continue. I did finish it, but, in the end I kept starting... playing for a bit, and stopping. Then coming back after a few weeks (months) and playing.

BL2, the improvements to the gameplay made it much easier to play. They didn't innovate it so much as smooth of the rough edges.
    And while I love the art style, and liked the combat, the one thing with BL2 that kept pushing me away was the tone. The overly loud "EVERYONE HAS TO YELL EVERYTHING TO BE FUNNY!!!!" style of pop culture humor is just grating.
    I did finish it, but when the DLC followed, I didn't finish a single piece.

And the Pre-Sequel, I got maybe 3 hours in... and never went back.
    It's level design is atrocious, and the writing and humor is even worse then BL2.

Kolt likes this.
  10. MarkyG

MarkyG Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4070Ti
    There were so many cringe moments in yesterday's reveal. The way certain features/comments from GBX were obviously meant to invoke a rapturous reaction from the audience, just fell abysmally flat. That said, BL3 can't come soon enough for me. Loved the first 2 games.

11. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    Currently playing BL2 solo and I’m near the ending. I like the story and the characters, even though it is nothing special, looting and shooting is good too. My biggest problem with it, is that it does not scale well for solo play at times. The missions are super long and tedious, you constantly run out of bullets, and if you quit, you will be sent back a looong way and would have to start the grind again.

As for BL3 – looks like more of the same, so I’m not in a rush to get it. Steam GOTY on heavy discount is where it is for me.

12. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I'm not too excited anymore either.

I only every played BL2, which i enjoyed. But as said above it's just more of the same. And as mentioned, the scaling was an issue for me as well. i remember i spend 3-4 hours in some kind of castle dungeon where no checkpoints showed up, it was rather frustrating.

Last week i casually replayed through Half-Life 2 + Episodes (Been 10+ years ago) and going to do Half-Life + Expansions next. This has changed my mood/taste, and i'm now looking forward to the Masterchief Collection instead :)

Kolt and KissSh0t like this.
  13. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    It's not worth opening an account on EGS for this. I'll just leave it at that. ;)

14. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Robot voice YongYea is back.
    The guy could do all the effort in the world into his contest, his voice compressor with bass amplified is just freaking ridiculus and sounds like a robot.

15. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    I found this interesting..

https://twitter.com/davideddings/status/1123970727395373057?s=19

"No. For the first time, I insisted on getting paid for my performance and all of a sudden they couldn't afford me. Now I'm not telling them how to run their business but maybe next time they should put the $12M payment from 2K in the Gearbox bank account instead. Just sayin'..."

So the voice actor for Claptrap apparently did the previous ones for free, as he worked at Gearbox in another capacity and did it for fun. Now he is no longer a part of Gearbox and was asking for compensation, to which Gearbox declined apparently due to him being too expensive.

This is of course after Randy said that Troy Baker refused to do his role again which was not true... what is wrong with Gearbox/Randy?

https://twitter.com/duvalmagic/status/1115943285007290368?lang=en

lucidus likes this.

16. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    The absence of the og voice actor of claptrap was felt in that gameplay video. They went overboard with the character's presence as it is and the replacement was trying his best to copy the original performance, it wasn't enjoyable to listen to. They would've been better off with a new character with a similar appearance instead.

I played the Tales game so it's a shame that Rhys' v/a is also not being brought back. Those guys managed to make a fantastic game without employing anything actually associated with borderlands gameplay!

Anyway, whatever. Nothing unusual from Pitchford and Co.

17. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Well that's what I don't understand. Are they that strapped for cash making this game, or is this just another instance of Randy lining his pockets (which was - tin foil hat time - basically conspired to have happened many times in the past with his previous titles. I don't know for sure, just saying though). If Borderlands is Gearbox's big hitter you would think they would stick with the OG actors that seem to be willing to do it. I know voice actors aren't going to exactly make or break a game.. but it just makes sense to try to keep what people love in the game. This whole thing is just fishy. I have a feeling BL3 is going to be very lame and heartless. This all really reminds me of Colonial Marines where even Michael Biehn (voice actor of Hicks) said it was very soulless and not a fun project at all.
    https://www.pcgamer.com/michael-biehn-voicing-hicks-in-aliens-colonial-marines-wasnt-fun-at-all/

"As Biehn explained in an interview with Game Informer, Aliens: Colonial Marines "seemed kind of passionless. I think in movies, television, and the gaming world, you get some people that are really, really passionate, and some people that are just going through the paces. They think that because they have a brand name they're going to get a hit game or hit movie out of it. That certainly was the situation on [Colonial Marines].""

lucidus likes this.
  18. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
  19. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 12GB
    This sucks major hard horse balls.

A change in voice actor for an established character, while keeping the same character is almost always a mistake in my opinion (there's rare exceptions); even if the new voice actor tries his/her best to 'mimic' the original. It's never the same. Sure, it can be argued that - sometimes (very rarely) - the new VA is actually better than the original. But specifically in the case of Claptrap there's zero possibility of that ever happening. He's too recognizable and memorable. That would be like hearing Yoda speak with a new voice. It will be even worse if the writing for Claptrap in BL3 itself tries to overextend his presence to force the new VA's performance down our throat; or rather our ears.

Anyway, I watched some of BL3's gameplay reveal and while I do appreciate what I'm seeing gameplay wise I do notice the difference with Claptrap's voice. It's not "bad", per se. But yeah, the difference is there. It might not bother most players though, as Borderlands' main strength is found in its gameplay. But for me BL2 was a great amalgamation of nearly everything in a game done right, from music to graphics, from animations to dialogue (writing), from gameplay to story, and actually one of the major points for me in BL2 were the voice actors and actresses whom pretty much all did a superb job. I legit didn't dislike a single one of the VAs in that game, be it random bandit banters to non-playable NPCs or even generic quest givers.

Some of them did stand out in the crowd, namely Handsome Jack's, Claptrap's, Tiny Tina's (especially in her DLC, her VA was fantastic in that one) and Lilith's VAs.

20. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1