1080 Ti SC Black Edition locks 90c

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by IceVip, Apr 21, 2019.

1. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    Two days ago I bought a second hand 1080 Ti that looked brand new. It was pretty much an eyes closed purchase because i didn't test the thing. It is looking brand new, however, when i fired it up in windows,
    idle temps were hovering around 48c and when i launched Forza Horizon 4, it pretty much skyrocketed
    to 90c. Fans were at 100%, 3600RPM, couldn't hear my thoughts, it was throttling its core clock, and on top of everything i tried to set back the clock at -400 from afterburner, which lands at 1450mhz and the thing still doesn't move from 90c..

If i open my case however, it drops down to 84c and clocks go back up to 1900+ mhz. What the hell? I'm not sure if the card was.. i don't even know, fkd up when it came out of the factory or the guy before me mined the hell out of it or what? My case flow is pretty bad, and right now i think i'll just buy EK Fluid Gaming A360G because i don't really mind going water, gonna swap the cpu with zen 2 later this year anyways, do ya'll think its a good idea to get the kit? Will it fix the temps?

Case; TT View 27
    Cpu; r7 1700
    Cpu aio; Riing 240

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  2. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Maybe they had it under water and just threw the stock cooler back on to sell it and didn't do a good job of it.

3. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    I was thinking the same thing, guy said he never opened the card but humans often throw a lie here n there.
    Read some online reviews of this particular model and i do find people that suffer the same thing, Jayztwocents slapped an EK A240G on a 1080 FE and it went from 84c to 45.. by this logic if i slap a
    A360G, that has a full push-pull config, should i encounter a similar result? Because my finger is on the trigger right now and i might as well just get the kit.

4. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Try to remove the cooler to check if everything is okay, clean the card and/or the cooler in case there´s dust on it, then reapply some (good) thermal paste and mount the cooler properly to see if it helps. Also try to improve the airflow of your case.

Hope this helps.

5. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

I would suspect as first case airflow because if you are opened case temperatures drops to 80's

Good TIM can help as well with better temperatures but this depends how bad stock or supplied TIM is bad or is not dried already which is possible, Noctua NT-H1 or Kryonaut are my recommendations for TIM, I use mostly these two TIM on GPUs

Going with EK A360G I wouldn't, you are limited by aluminium blocks, radiators and fittings, if you are planning to upgrade in future etc you will be limited by future upgrades

Building own loop can be lot cheaper as this A360G, you need 6-8 fittings(£3-4 each) if you want cool CPU and GPU as well, CPU block from £25-£60, GPU block (£65-£100),pump (£21-£30),reservoir (£30-£45),radiator (£35-£55)

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

6. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    Oddly enough building custom loops, here in bulgaria at least, is way more expensive than just buying this kit. The cheapest custom loop i could build with parts here in stores lands me around 700 euro. And this kit
    would cost me just 300 with delivery.. Only downside i see is aluminium blocks because i can't use thermal grizzly.

7. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

I would suggest have look on Aliexpress, I'm buying watercooling parts from there and no issues, fittings like Barrow or Bykski are nice fittings for money, CPU block from Barrow or Bykski are good one, using one on friend 8086k, GPU block as well have one from Bykski or Barrow and they're within 2-3 °C from EK and radiators same applies there, pump and reservoir combo from Barrow can be bought for £45

Yes sadly in other parts of the world can be very expensive to build own loop if you want to use EK or other well known products and companies due this I recommend buying stuff from Aliexpress

On aluminium block you can use any TIM just not liquid metal like is Conductant

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

8. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    IceVip, Did you by any chance Re-Seat the heatsink properly and securely along with fresh thermal paste applied properly??

If not, try using at Least AS5 or Thermal Grizzly Kyronaut then report back, make sure its properly seated.

I know one of my aio 1080ti with xoc bios, at one time, it was hovering low 60c and that is very hot for an aio.

After re-seating the waterblock properly and securely along with new thermal paste, after break in time, my gpu went from low 60 to very low 40c easy.

I would strongly recommend at this point to re-seat the heatsink, apply new paste then report back asap.

One thing I want to mention here, When I got a second hand gtx 970 for my 4 way testing which I am currently doing now, I usually even if gpu is bought new, I take out the heatsink and always re-apply thermal grizzly kyronaut.

At one time, I was playing mass effect 1, My gpu temp's went so f'in high, it was well over 90c and it reached there very quickly so I had to stop the program asap.

So what I did next, re-seat the heatsink, re-applied new paste, guess what, temps went from 90's to low 50c, Single gpu speaking, not sli.

Judging how incredibly fast the gpu temps sped up on that video of yours, I strongly believe re-seating the heatsink will fix your issue, hopefully nothing else is the factor here.

Believe me, re-seating the heatsink makes Absolutely big difference in the world, not only that, make sure that you have the proper mm thermal pad for memory, cause if its to big, guess what??? the distance between the heatsink and the gpu die itself, gap widens, thus meaning the gpu wont secure properly with the heatsink so make absolutely sure you got the right mm for the memory thermal pads, AIO hybrids can an make an absolutely big difference here, especially the evga hybrids, my god, HUGE difference, cause I know I did that one time, wanted to go thicker memory thermal pad, totally unaware of the fact that the gpu wasn't making contact properly with the heatsink because the memory thermal pad mm was to thick, so Be absolutely careful about this first and foremost, if you don't know the mm thermal pad for your card, Stock, look it up.

Not just memory, Vrm heatsink thickness have to be correct to, if not, they wont make proper contact, that and the gpu and the heatsink will not make proper contact due to thickness issue.

My gtx 970 vrm is on the left side of the card, and if I make it to thick, there will be huge problems in the end.

Hopefully the thermal pads for the memory wasn't changed, the card you bought, if it is, revert back to stock thickness.

Artic cooling makes some decent thermal pads for memory:

Here's some 1mm pads, very good for the money, again make sure what your thickness is before buying anything, this is just a link to show what the 1mm artic cooling looks like, I use their 1mm and 1.5mm, good stuff.

https://www.amazon.ca/Arctic-Therma...-+thermal+pad&qid=1556045302&s=gateway&sr=8-2

Hope this help, thanks.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  9. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    I really don't understand this fascination with Arctic Silver 5. It's a very thin compound and requires both the die and the heatsink to be perfect to work well, which hardly ever happens unless you lap both. Plus it's conductive.

There are far better performing, easier to set up, and safer thermal pastes to use.

10. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    I never had a problem with AS5, one thing I love about them is that it does NOT spread out, leaving open gaps inbetween.

Kyronaut is the only one I ever use for all my gpu setups.

Only problem with Kyronaut, you have to use that extra piece that comes with it to spread it out evenly, otherwise you will have problems spreading it out evenly, AS5 don't have this issue.

I use AS5 on both of my cpu's, since its an Xeon cpu, Very mild OC, stock voltage, no need for anything more, so far works Excellent, and besides you can only use the bclock to OC anyways, but since its xeon, can't oc much at all, well aware of it anyways.

Doesn't matter though, They way I play my games, ALL IQ, 4k-8k, Cpu speed at this point doesn't really mean much at all, same thing goes for ram speed, The effect on performance is like nil, cause at this point its basically gpu bound not cpu.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019

11. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    The card has that "warranty void if broken" sticker, so I'm guessing it was never opened.

12. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    EVGA has 3 years even with a used GPU and no receipt as long as the GPU is not physically damaged. Given your description it really sounds like a crappy TIM application. It happens even from the factory. They have no issues with you taking the GPU apart and, that is NOT a warranty sticker. It IS a tamper sticker so they do know if the card has been opened.

13. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    I just bought a thermal grizzly kryonaut, applied it and launched unigine, it runs for 5 seconds with artifacts and then the videodriver stops. Its not like my first time to apply thermal paste to something, not sure whats going on.

Idle degrees dropped to ~32c which means its definitely working, but when i launch something it goes into artifacts.

14. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    - Alright so i think i rushed a bit, saw a breakdown of how to open a SC2 and I obviously did something unnecessary, i removed the backplate.. And i guess the contact is not as good now, because i see the gpu's temps(if it doesn't crash) go up to 70c which is great, from 90c.. but it does give me artifacts, freezes, then black screen so I'm guessing the contact with the VRM/RAM is messed up aaaaand i don't wanna overtighten anything..

15. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    Check the BIOS Version from GPUZ ( should be Version: 86.02.39.00.90)
    -----------------------
    In case you have installed PRECISION X, try to remove it.
    -----------------------
    Re-consider adding new thermal paste.

16. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    It's the backplate, when i tried to screw it in even more it extended the time to reach artifacts. I broke 3 screwdrivers and 2 knives. I just don't have anything for such small screws. I guess tomorrow is shopping day.

17. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    Yeah i just bought some pretty strong cross screwdriver and screwed the backplate as tight as it would let me aaaaaaand, overclocked memory to 12gbps, works with no artifacts..
    Which leads me to the conclusion that a lot of people wasted their time sending it back to EVGA because this particular card is full of ppl whining how it artifacts then crashes. But ey, can't really know
    what the problem is until you actually cause it yourself. Anywho, thank you all.

P.S

Idle > 51c down to 38c
    Load > 91c down to 76c (Clocks are above 1950 and do not drop anymore)
    Fan > 100% down to 75% (Can kind of hear my thoughts now)

A M D BugBear and jura11 like this.
  18. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli

So what I said previously changed world of difference correct? About re-seating the gpu and the memory pads properly?? Told you so.

Also remember one thing everyone, if you screw down the gpu to tight, guess what, it may damage the gpu, thus making it totally inoperable...

So make sure never to over-tighten the mounting screws, always use your hand(along with the screwdriver) to tighten it down, and enough to secure it properly, NEVER over tighten it, lol, learned my lesson awhile back ago.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    IceVip likes this.
  19. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    I over tightened the back plate, it does not push on the gpu chip, only on everything else.

20. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Very good friend. Just saying for future reference on the gpu mounting itself, be careful, If I remembered correctly, it cost me a 1080ti one time, I over tighten it so much that next time I turned on, nothing, luckily they gave me another one(replacement), so be very careful.