AMD X570 chipset gets PCI Express 4.0 and USB 3.1 gen2

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    chispy, Undying, Embra and 1 other person like this.
  2. olymind1

olymind1 Member Guru

GPU:
    RX6700 10 GB
    In title say USB 3.1 gen2, but in the article: USB 3.2 Gen 1, USB 3.2 Gen 2, USB 3.2 Gen 2x2

Hmm, at the moment i don't see any reason why sould i buy a B550 board over a B450, though not much details are known.

3. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    3.1 Gen2 and 3.2 Gen2 are the same thing. They keep increasing the version number, but everything else remains the same. Basically, read it from the back to easily recognize what it is. Gen1/Gen2 is the important part, not USB 3.1 or 3.2. :)

A PCIe Gen4 uplink to the chipset sounds like a good deal. I hope the chipsets PCIe hub is smart enough to fully make use of that bandwidth when eg. a Gen3 PCIe SSD is connected to the chipset.

chispy likes this.
  4. Stairmand

Stairmand Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 Aorus Maste
    40 lanes of PCIe 4? That seems an awful lot for a consumer level chipset. Increasing M.2 to 4x PCIe4 would give us some serious bandwidth for future NVME drives.

chispy and schmidtbag like this.

5. TalentX

TalentX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX4090 AIO
    If the leaks are true, you could run two GPUs at 16 lanes each, plus one M.2 PCI SSD at 4 lanes, that alone would sum 36 lanes already, which you can have on consumer level chipset. That's actually quite neat I'd say.

chispy likes this.
  6. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    So... what do we get PCIe 4.0 for? Are there devices out already that I missed?

Since they probably won't support this mainboard longer than a year /Zen2+ / Rzen 4xxx), when they will probably switch on to DDR5, thus making a new IMC needed with the CPUs, I don't see me needing PCIe4.0 right now.
    Just saying this because there's rumors circulating saying PCIe 4.0 is giving manufacturers trouble... well, just leave it be for now, and give us stable BIOS and hardware, thanks dear manufacturers.

chispy and airbud7 like this.
  7. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    40 lanes of PCIe is just about perfect. many gamers forget about content creation and super high speed memory, given the number of cores this is about just right when you factor in pcie drives, gpu's, and M.2's.
    DDR5 would have been a nice touch (esp with up to 256 Gb), but the folks at AMD do not want to waste the hard earned goodwill of the consumers with too many incompatible mobos. a la Intel.

Yakk and chispy like this.
  8. Stairmand

Stairmand Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 Aorus Maste
    True, but thats what Threadrippr platform is for (64 lanes).

Even the 2080ti wouldnt come close to saturating 8xPCIe 4 let alone 16. PCIe switches are a perfectly good soloution for most uses too and splitting multi GPU to 8x8 is perfectly good for very much for the lifespan of this chipset.

Not complaining though, more the merrier!

chispy likes this.
  9. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Does a 2080ti saturate a x8 PCIe 3? i know it didn't with a 1080ti, PCIe 4 either way should be nice specially if systems only allow say x16 overall, means having x4 or x8 or something won't matter as much.

chispy likes this.
  10. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    NVME SSD perhaps and additions of more M.2 ports and the like, no need for splitting the bandwidth or lanes or other workarounds though even in this mode it seems to be capable of delivering around 1 to 1.5 GB/s of data which should be plenty for most activities.

GPU I doubt would be a problem, maybe multi-GPU but yeah the driver situation and low-level API support situation for those are less than ideal currently though it's not quite dead either.

EDIT: But yeah 8x is probably not really much of a drop if any even with PCIE 3.0 currently if using multiple cards.
    (And even then I think newer motherboards and processors can still do 16x and 16x for dual GPU configurations and then it splits to 8x and 4x though it likely depends on hardware used.)

Though I am quite behind on the subject of these newer fancier devices and standards for now so yeah, lots of reading ahead I suspect for when the next time to upgrade is actually going to be a thing. :p

chispy likes this.

11. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Not saying i disagree, i'm just pointing out that part of what is wrong with the article, or what is wrong with what you are saying, is this part:

"These boards would allow for eight USB 3.1 gen2 ports (10 Gbps), in addition to four USB 2.0 connections (but not USB 3.2 Gen2 )"

So, either USB 3.1 Gen 2 and USB 3.2 Gen 2 are different, or the article is not exactly...formatted correctly, or... has a mistake.

According to the information i have been able to figure out

• USB 3, 3.1 Gen 1 and USB 3.2 Gen 1×1 are all the same

• USB 3.2 Gen 1×2 is new to USB 3.2

• USB 3.1 Gen 2 and USB 3.2 Gen 2×1 are the same

• USB 3.2 Gen 2×2 in new to USB 3.2
    So USB 3.2 Gen 2, isn't necessarily the same thing as 3.1 Gen 2, if by USB 3.2 Gen 2 you mean Gen 2×2

This chipset APPEARS to not have USB 3.2 Gen 1×2 or USB 3.2 Gen 2×2, so effectively, no USB 3.2

12. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    More pci express lanes with 4.0 sounds good to me :) , a lot can be configure on the new x570 mobos. At least we can see a leep forward on AMD hardware , good vibes all around , good times coming !

13. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    There is no such thing as "1x2". There is only 3 types of USB 3 ports: Gen 1 (ie. original USB 3, 5Gbps), Gen 2 (previously USB 3.1, 10Gbps), and Gen 2x2 (double bandwidth from Gen2.. which is x2 I guess? - 20Gbps anyway)

Gen 2x2 is very new, so I wouldnt really expect it on chipsets yet.

The version number in front gets updated when they add new crap, so when they added the "2x2" mode, it got changed to 3.2 to confuse everyone (although I don't even think its that confusing if you just look at the "Gen" value)

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  14. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    USB 2.0 Data Rate

USB 2.0 High Speed 480 Mbps
    USB 2.0 Full Speed 12 Mbps
    USB 2.0 Slow Speed 1.5 Mbps

USB 3.2 Data Rate Lanes

SuperSpeed
    USB 3.2 Gen 1x1 5 Gbps 1
    (a.k.a. USB 3.0)
    (a.k.a. USB 3.1 Gen 1)

SuperSpeed+
    USB 3.2 Gen 2x1 10 Gbps 1
    (a.k.a. USB 3.1)
    (a.k.a. USB 3.1 Gen 2)
    USB 3.2 Gen 1x2** 10 Gbps 2
    USB 3.2 Gen 2x2** 20 Gbps 2
    ** Dual-lane mode requires USB-C cables

Not my info posted above, copy and paste. It is posted in multiple websites about the specifications of usb 3.2

So either all the specification websites are wrong...or....

15. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GPUs do not need more bandwidth, they need a lot less latency on upload and - especially - on read-back operations.

16. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Jesus the usb naming getting out of hand FAST !

17. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Fixed.

Yeah it already got out of had a while ago. :p

chispy and Venix like this.
  18. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Someone has to start. Apparently platform is 1st to go...

There would be no reason to make PCIe 4.0 M.2 drive that could run twice as fast as PCIe 3.0 if paired with compatible MB when there would be no MB in sight for next year. Technology investment would make such product too expensive and it would fail.

While having MB compatibility 1st does not drastically increase cost and those who buy it may reap benefits later. Then this is AMD. They make GPUs, right? As they can make PCIe 4.0 capable CPU, chipset, there is no reason to believe that they can't make PCIe 4.0 capable graphics.

fantaskarsef and Venix like this.
  19. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    @Koniakki hehe agreed ! 3 gen 58 supreme speedy gen 8! Really they should have gone with 4 when they doubled the speed of usb 3.0 and just use 3.1 3.2 for middle steps etc etc up to usb 3 things where nice and simple.

Koniakki likes this.
  20. mat9v9tam

mat9v9tam Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX970M @C1330/M2705
    I think this 40 PCIEx lines should be counted as follows:
    From CPU - we get 24 lines, 16 for GPU, 4 lines for NVMe and 4 for chipset downlink - 24 together
    From chipset as on the ss in the article 8 + 4 + 4 - 16 together and 4+4 can be used for additional SATA connections
    Together CPU and chipset offers 24+16 lines.
    For me nothing in the ss suggests 40 lines form the chipset alone.