Jon Peddie Research Predicts that 20 million PC gamer will move towards console gaming by 2022

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I'll stick to 4K 60fps+ gaming on a PC, unless it's a novelty Nintendo game. Also don't see consoles doing realtime raytracing anywhere near as well as a dedicated graphics card.
    Consoles will eventually be replaced by a gaming streaming service anyway.

2. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    My research states that given a Jon Peddie worker, he/she's a moron. Proof: he/she works for Jon Peddie Research.

3. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    With Microsoft releasing their exclusive games on PC as well I’m even less likely to go full console. I don’t even have a current gen Xbone as mine is like 5 years old now. I do however have a video card that is as expensive as The whole system and I’ll get another expensive card a few years from now. I’ll probably still have the same Xbox though.

4. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    On every new Nintendo console, the time needed to emulate it halves. We can call it Nintendo's cracking law.

GamerNerves likes this.

5. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    I think rather than "switching" the edges between both PC & Console will blur to the point of this concept to longer existing.

6. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Next-gen consoles will deliver great visuals, but a high-end PC will still be more powerful, brute-forcing their limitations. I'll buy a PS5 just for the exclusives.

7. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    I can see how the development of HW can slow down and that the consoles will be as powerful as PC. I just don't see how this will lead to millions of people now buying consoles because of that. I mean the typical argument against PC is that you "need to upgrade every two years", which will obviously be gone. PC games are also always cheaper, go on sale sooner and I also don't need to pay for multiplayer. Combining both of these makes PC gaming even cheaper than it is now.

I don't see exclusives as an argument at all, because those exist for decades and those exclusives exist between consoles and I don't suppose there are many people who own xbox and PS.

As long as I will be able to do other things on PC, like work or comfortably browse internet I can't see a console ever replacing PC, especially if I am then forced to use controller for everything. I can't imagine playing shooters with controller, as I already get frustrated when someone shows off i.e. console version of upcoming shooter and they all move like retards unable to hit a huge wall....this reminds me

E: Also when I got into PC gaming at around year 2000 I heard this rumor that PC gaming is dying and that soon it will be all on consoles and this "news" have been repeated with every new generation of consoles and every release of new portable device and even the first time streaming came along, but I guess this time it will be different...

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    Maddness and GamerNerves like this.
  8. GamerNerves

GamerNerves Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Nitro+
    I predict the very opposite than this guy and I foresee cross platform gaming between consoles and even PC and consoles to be a thing in next generation. I also foresee less console exclusives and traditionally some PC exclusives due to mouse and keyboard and distribution. I got to say this guy in the article is glueless, exclusives often don't result in devotion to a platform, rather some PC players buying one console to exclusively play the exclusives. I haven't personally done so due to money constraints and principle - I do not enjoy console gaming due to low and varying framerate and no proper way to play FPS games. If I had less money I would still buy used PC rather than a console.

Even the Moore's law reference, which by the way is falsified these days, that there is no reason to buy PC hardware due it being not much ahead of consoles, doesn't affect anything. It never mattered if PC is way ahead or not, it was the tweaking and input method. PC hardware is obviously going to be still far more powerful than future consoles, since there is a market for that and when there is a market, there is going be study and innovation to create powerful components. PC hardware like graphic cards, even the gaming ones, are not even limited to just gaming, so the demand is going to stay and most likely to increase. Especially millenials have grown up with computers, so they most likely will be interested in PCs more than any generation. Of course vast majority will not be coders or anything, you have to think in a larger scale relatively to population.

PC gaming prospers today, though there is a big difference opposed to nineties why this is. For first, PC gaming today is about the controls and distribution channels, not fancy demanding titles like in the past. Secondly games are often cheaper on PC and hardware is much more attainable than in the 90's. Lastly streaming, youtubing and other public gaming related stuff is much more doable on PC. I still hope we will get one or two very demanding titles on PC yet like Crysis was in the first decade or like Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss was in the 90's. Vulkan and DX12 offer all the means for this.

airbud7 likes this.
  9. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    The biggest thing in my opinion that would have a decently large amount of people go from PC to at least "more" console gaming then they previously did was if ALL games on consoles NATIVELY supported keyboard/mouse, until then, PC will always have a large following. Even if that happens though, playing games how you want at settings you want to play it at and having modding, even unsupported by the devs modding, will win out.

airbud7 likes this.
  10. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Every generation "analysts" talk about the imminent doom of gaming on pc actually i will be surprised if not more of those come out as the new console generation getting closer and closer.

11. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    There is probably som truth to his prediction when it comes to casual gamers, it's not a coincidense that quite a few mmo's and other games have been ported to consoles lately, I would take the numbers in the report with a grain of salt, although, 20 mill out of 1.2 bill .....
    Personally I moved from PC to XBox One X, can't be arsed to upgrade GPU etc. for PC gaming anymore, and with the way Microsoft manages it I take the chance on that new consoles from them will be backwards compatible, so upgrades are cheaper in the long run, although, new games tend to be cheaper for PC upon launch though.

Seeing some mentioning it, where does the report state the end of PC gaming?

12. Q6600

Q6600 Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF GTX 3080
    Bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahaha NOPE

13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    It doesn't. There are a few people mentioning 4K 60fps gaming and high end computers in this thread too - when the article clearly states $1000 PC's or less.

14. Killian38

Killian38 Guest

GPU:
    I refused to upgrade last year due to prices and bought a console. I'm very happy. I see myself getting another one when this console dies. Blame AMD for making it so cheap and good.

15. butjer1010

butjer1010 Active Member

GPU:
    RX6900XT Toxic EE
    If PC hardware is expensive in your parts compared to the wages, is a really good, reliable net connection still cheap? Because you'd need a 105% reliable one for game streaming. You'd also need for the provider's server farm to be reasonably close to you, not across the sea. Even if all of those were perfect, the service will still cost you a lot, I reckon far in excess of the likes of Netflix, yet due to technical and business limitations, the selection of games would be restricted. You could eagerly wait for a particular game, only to find out it's not available at all or you'd in fact need to subscribe to another streaming service to do it. In the end the ones running the service can only care about their own profits, and it's all statistics.

I don't believe in the game streaming service at all, and I won't believe in it even after it has seemingly launched. Maybe 10 years of perfect service would change my mind, but I don't expect to see that. I'm not talking about limited stuff, you can already use your browser to play tetris, I'm talking about something that can actually replace local hardware in running stuff from the bottom freeware to the AAA titles. But then again, it's going to be some puritan geezer deciding every title available in the service, so it would be highly limited anyway, technical limitations or not.

Interesting point of view. You're absolutely right about that. I'm from Croatia, where, in smaller cities, monthly wages are not exceeding 500-600$. To buy a good PC, for some 1080 or even 4k PC, we all know, You need at least 1500$ and more. It is really though to make that kind of money, but as You stated, internet connection is awful, and streaming games here is SF. My Download/Upload speed is 15/3 Mbits??? And i pay for that a little less than 30$ monthly. So, regardless to that, i would rather go to PC store and buy PC (of course, on 24 or 36 monthly rates), than waiting for "new generation" console.

16. aless83

aless83 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte r9 280x
    I have to say that, after a long day at work, I get pretty annoyed when a lot of games just don't start up properly... launcher broken (looking at you, EA), the 1000th update (for all of you, steam & co) or when you have to fiddle with everything the first time you set up a game after paying +50€.
    If consoles would integrate keyboard and mouse I think I would have switched sides by now...

17. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    PC gaming in a nutshell. Always has been, though, no surprise here. But I understand such a point of view... yes, probably a console would be better for such a usage scenario.

18. aless83

aless83 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte r9 280x
    Yeah, but I think it's gotten worse lately...

19. mindaz3

mindaz3 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX
    I use both and have been doing that for years, where do I fit in?

fredgml7 likes this.
  20. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    They've been saying PC gaming is dying for decades. This kinda flys in the face of that nonsense.

[​IMG]

They don't "move towards" PC gaming... they "Ascend".

carnivore, bigfutus and cryohellinc like this.