New intel microcode update KB4100347 kills Broadwell-E overclock.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by HeavyHemi, Sep 18, 2018.

1. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Ah yes. I can CONFIRM THAT USING THE OLD uCODE WILL BLOW UP YOUR SYSTEM! I had go commando prompt to delete it to get out of the repair loop. Good thing I'm oldish...
    Just DELETE versus replacing the file and you're golden.

2. CyberSparky

CyberSparky Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 XC3
    Ok I'll give that a try. Ty sir!

3. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    If you're still stuck in the repair loop, all you need to do is boot into a command prompt and delete the file. One of those silly reasons I still have a optical drive plugged in. Sometimes it just makes recovery easy.

4. JasonPC

JasonPC Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTS 640MB
    I'm having this issue too with the 1903 update. I reverted back to 1809 for now.

This update installed a new mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll timestamp is 3/18/19. Previous mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll timestamp was 9/15/18.

From the looks of it there is no new microcode update from intel. Is this related to Google retpoline? Is the gain in performance that significant that it should replace the old microcode update?

If I delete mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll, will subsequent updates try to reinstall it?

5. moheban79

moheban79 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6970 - 2GB Trifire
    Hi,

Was wondering if the KB4100347 update is baked into the May 1903 update or not? Was on 1809 and with KB4100347 my OC was coming up at 4.0 ghz instead of 4.2 ghz for my Broadwell-E 6850K cpu and despite several attempts to uninstall KB4100347 it would get reinstalled everytime.

Thanks

6. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

I think yes this update is already part of 1809 which killed my performance on my 5960x, went through the small hell when I updated to 1809

In my case every SW reported 4.7GHz but performance have been close to stock 5960x with turbo, only way how to recover some performance I needed to update BIOS etc and performance is now still not as with 1709

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

7. moheban79

moheban79 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6970 - 2GB Trifire
    Was wondering about 1903?

Thanks

8. CyberSparky

CyberSparky Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 XC3
    Yes, this update is part of 1903 and you cannot remove the update. However you can delete mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll from windows/System32 and your overclock will return to normal. You might need to take ownership to delete. This is the only to fix from my blunders. Do not attempt to replace file with an older version or you too will be the pawn of an endless boot loop, or playing in Command Prompt from Safe Mode. Hope this helps those above.

Also from my understanding we basically need a new Bios for our motherboards to communicate with the new microcode to allow overclocking from bios to work in windows. When this happened with the KB, most motherboard vendors released an bios that worked. Asus in my case a beta bios. But it was rendered useless with the 1903 update.

9. moheban79

moheban79 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6970 - 2GB Trifire
    I read deleting that module is risk that could affect Windows booting up but in anycase since updating to 1903 I haven't notice any down clocking of my overclock. So far so good.

As far as your issue have you tried modding your bios with a microcode update? On my MSI X99A Godlike I'm running the latest microcode Intel has released for my processor. I believe its for 406F1 the microcode is B000036. Not sure about your board though you would have to do a flashback to get it put in your board..

Thanks

10. Lavcat

Lavcat Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7900 XTX
    I am on 1809 and I don't seem to be affected by this patch. How can I be sure? Can I trust the Intel XTU to report actual CPU speed? My 5930 XTU benchmark score is 2003.

11. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Any number of utilities that report CPU clock speed. As far as I am aware, only Broadwell-E on X99 is affected by this. EVGA just released a updated BIOS to the latest micrcode, B000036 for their X99 boards.

12. Lavcat

Lavcat Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7900 XTX
    So not Haswell-E on X99?

Edit: but I thought with the bug reported speeds might not be accurate.

13. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Best way to confirm if you are affected by this patch is Cinebench or any other benchmark

If I would trust speed reported by other SW, hard to say, in my case HWiNFO or SIV64 reported 4.7GHz but performance have been close to stock speeds due this do few benchmarks

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

Lavcat likes this.
  14. JasonPC

JasonPC Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTS 640MB
    Subsequent updates keep replacing that damn mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll and killing my overclock.