Jon Peddie Research Predicts that 20 million PC gamer will move towards console gaming by 2022

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 26, 2019.

1. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    I moved from consoles because I felt closed in, was unable to tweak my settings and always ran into trouble, but hey, who needs 144hz when we can play platformers in 8K with cinematic 24 fps...

Kolt, SHS and TheDeeGee like this.
  2. kevnb

kevnb Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1070
    Streaming isn't happening, forget about it. Nobody is going to be running games server side in a few years when an iPhone can already run fortnite at 60 fps today. A device designed just for gaming will eventually seem very pointless, it will be consoles that go away eventually. Even 8k isn't happening unless they somehow force people into it, people are barely sold on 4k. The success of the switch should be telling people something, but I guess its not.

Serotonin likes this.
  3. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Choice of peripherals is key to many gamers, even those with more entry level PC hardware. It isn't all about the graphics, even if consoles managed to reach visual parity with all but the highest end gaming rigs it wouldn't matter one bit if I couldn't use a keyboard and mouse to play an FPS or RTS etc. Consoles are also fairly limited devices anyway, a PC has added value in what else it can do, a console is limited to gaming and basic media functionality.

4. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    One big reason I think this is pretty accurate is the path consoles are taking, the gap between the difference of a PC and console are closing. Now we're just speaking for general multimedia and gaming, obviously PC can do more than just that, but for people whose main purpose is multimedia and gaming, I mean you can get consoles that support 4k output and keyboard and mouse now. Let alone game subs like Gamepass that give a good number of games and will also have Microsoft made titles available day one.

5. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Why do all these "analysts" have such a hard-on for PC to die? Read it every couple of weeks, for 30 years. PC is stronger now than it was a decade ago. Consoles are limiting. They are not open, you're locked into an ecosystem. PC avoids most of that and will always have that over consoles. I also find it comical that someone predicts other people's choices they haven't even made yet, when the options aren't even available for them to choose..but that's a whole other topic.

PC, the system where backward compatibility is never an issue. Nor do you need to re-purchase all your old purchases. You have multiple stores to give you options (though there's a thread on here complaining about that lol) and you can upgrade the hardware. You can stream a show and read a website, alt tab back into a game and shoot out an email.

Consoles are basic and usually sell to basic users.

Backstabak, Ricardo and airbud7 like this.
  6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Why is it that everyone thinks you have to be exclusive? I know plenty of people who regularly game on multiple competing platforms. I think it's totally reasonable to predict that 20 million PC gamers will get a console, but that doesn't AT ALL imply that they will be ditching their PCs.

Peddie needs to stop skewing the results to favor his agenda.

Serotonin and fredgml7 like this.
  7. Dimitrios1983

Dimitrios1983 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580
    I so agree with the console controllers. Once I went to PC gaming with the mouse and keyboard I couldn't stand using a game controller. It's too slow. Most games keyboard & mouse is the way.

Serotonin, Kolt and Singleton99 like this.
  8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Too slow? If you're using it via Bluetooth then maybe that could be the problem. Wired or RF is the way to go if you care about latency.

9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I think he means its to slow to do a 360 no scope not actual input latency.

I can snap 90 degrees in CS to someones head with an extremely rapid hand movement - on a controller you're waiting like half a second for the screen to turn.

Maddness, Kolt, airbud7 and 1 other person like this.
  10. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Eh, more speed doesn't equal more accuracy though. I would say to each their own on that. Controller in games like GOW4 definitely have an advantage. And personally, I like it controllers in racing games.

Caesar likes this.

11. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Yep!

Zenoth, ShadowDuke, Ricardo and 2 others like this.
  12. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    I must be doing something wrong my PC work perfect on my big screen TV when I am sitting on my couch.
    No need ever for a console.

13. Ricardo

Ricardo Member Guru

GPU:
    1050Ti 4GB
    This is completely wrong. Consoles have been consistently growing in power and always either on par with PC's or behind them, not to mention that mouse and/or keyboard on consoles has always existed in one way or another, but interest in that was never big enough. Not to mention that older consoles had vastly different architectures that specialized on games specific demands, and as such could get away with inferior hardware that could output impressive results, making the eventual gaps much shorter.

Check this article, it shows how consoles power growth has been linear in a number of ways:
    https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013...days-consoles-keep-up-with-historical-trends/

Consoles advantages over PC lies on lower cost per performance and ease of use - that hasn't changed and probably won't any time soon.

Controllers are definitely inferior in FPS's, any edge case exists due to aim-assist on controllers and/or poor implementation of mouse and keyboard. Though other types of games are different, I agree.

Frankly, I though this "research" was so out of touch with the industry that I could safely say that exactly the opposite of what was predicted will happen.

GamerNerves likes this.
  14. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    What, those people you know have time to play consoles while every month or so new game and/or new Windows update and/or new drivers are released and every PC user should start new journey of nightmar... er... of joy to tweak-configure-mod-troubleshoot?

akbaar likes this.
  15. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I don't understand what you're getting at. Yes, some of these people do actually have the time to alternate between platforms. Some might go without turning on a system for weeks at a time, but once an exclusive or a great deal is available on a particular system, they'll fire up that system. Besides, wouldn't updates be all the more reason to play on another platform, so you can still play a game while you wait for the updates to finish?

16. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I was merely hinting a fun surrounding the PC games - configuring, tweaking, modding, troubleshooting, which is absent in consoles.

akbaar and Caesar like this.
  17. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    you misunderstand, he means the hardware is very similar to pc now, infact they are pretty much interchangable, the only thing that separates pc from console now, is a bit of software. microsoft makes the distinction even less clear with their windows store cross platform support.
    gone are the times of weird proprietary architectures

nothing to do with performance, at all.

18. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I don't mean by power in consoles or design, but how they operate and different control options being offered. Take a look at the Xbox versus a PC, not counting Play Anywhere but to play a game on Xbox you need to install it first. Same with PC. Consoles are starting to aim for certain targets that the platform as PC targets such as frame rate, resolution, visual fidelity, different levels of hardware, and even some visual options depending on the game. Considering as a base both Xbox and PS4 now offer support for keyboard and mouse as well out the box, it's just up to the game developer to implement that. Then we have how games are treated on consoles now, as in having massive games with expansions available and a couple games with mod support. Heck, even Halo 5 has an option for dedicated lan server hosting now.

As far as controller vs keyboard and mouse goes, definitely going to be subjective on that one. There is no fact that one is better than the other. One may give different options and settings, but end of the day it's completely user preference. For me I like keyboard and mouse depending on the game, but I can say the same with controller. BO3 for example, I definitely would take controller any day. BO4 though, keyboard and mouse.

What I should also clarify too, I think the article is a little skewed in the fact he thinks PC players will replace their PC completely with a console...I don't think that will happen in any big sort of number or percentage of player. I think with features such as cross platform mp, play anywhere and sub gaming, you might see more people purchase both PC and console or even just play along side their PC or console with the other platform.

19. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    Compatibility gets dicey when you go far enough back, there are almost always workarounds and fixes. You also don't need to purchase new peripherals every time you get new hardware.

Serotonin likes this.
  20. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Don't play shooters on console. I like consoles though for the 3rd person adventure games and console exclusives can push the boundaries due to being locked on hardware. Show me a game that looked as good and played as good as Infamous Second Son on a slow mobile CPU with a 7650 for a graphics card.

airbud7 likes this.