Intel releases Core i9-9980HK laptop processor with eight cores

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Silva likes this.
  2. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Ah, 5Ghz: your own personal heater!

3. TLD LARS

TLD LARS Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    Could be cool to test this against a Ryzen 2700E 45W, the Ryzen has a 400MHz higher baseclock.

4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I would not worry. It is 45W TDP chip. Ah wait intel's TDP is not actually peak power draw as with AMD.
    I wonder what is power draw with all cores loaded and running on mentioned 4.2GHz Turbo.

It is funny to see 8C/16T next to 4C/8T with same TDP and same All core turbo.

Silva likes this.

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Even the base clocks are all pretty much the same... this is probably the most half-assed attempt at giving TDP estimates that I've ever seen come from Intel. This is probably the same stupid marketing Intel gave to Apple, which has resulted in all the recent Macbook Pros thermal throttling.

6. Petr V

Petr V Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx over 9000
    9980HK - replacement for electric heating

7. I am curious how the newly-launched picasso-core amd ryzen 3000 series stack up against these. The 3750h vs 9980hk sounds like quite a showdown. I feel like amd might actually have the edge in terms of efficiency this time, but that 9980hk is a lot of cpu in a laptop.

8. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Intel keeps bragging on social media about up to 5gh but fail to disclose its 1 core boost. What a bunch assholes.

9. abula

abula Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4090 Strix
    I don't get it, the 8750H throttles on most of the laptops that comes on or cant turbo to what its meant to run, this 8 core will throttle even more, you going to need some serious cooling to be able to keep on full throttle.

10. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Is there any better "laptop" cpu from AMD, or is this the best option i i case of performance?

Intel has some strange TDP and it may be warm, but has AMD any better solution? :)

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Not only cooling, but VRMs and Power Brick.

12. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    I wonder how badly these are going to thermally throttle.... My wife's four core eight thread 7700HQ needed to be dropped .40 VOLTS before throttling itself to unspeakably low clock speeds.

Here's to "hoping" for good things....

13. TLD LARS

TLD LARS Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The biggest difference in performance is the cooling solution in the laptop, not as much AMD vs Intel.
    Asus made a laptop with a 65W TDP cooler and a desktop Ryzen 1700, In multi core benchmark it will smash almost everything else available in a laptop format, if you can live with the noise and power use.
    There is a Ryzen 2700E that is 45W TDP and it could have a 400Mhz higher base clock then the Intel, so the question is what CPU handles the limited cooling the best.

14. As i previously stated, the picasso-core amd ryzen 3000 series laptop apu's have been launched, and i would imagine the ryzen 5 3550h, ryzen 3700u, and ryzen 3750h will be strong competitors. 3700u is 15w tdp, and both the 3550h and 3750h are 35w tdp.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2019
  15. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    It depends on how well the cooling is designed inside of the laptop as well because some manufacturers do a very good job while other do a piss poor job. My MSI gaming Laptop that I have it has the same CPU as your wife laptop a 7700HQ and I don't have any thermal throttling issues. But My laptop has 2 fans one for the GPU and one for the CPU which makes the cooling efficiency alot better because you don't 1 fan trying to do everything. Plus I have a cooling pad underneath it.

Take that new Asus laptop that they introduced at CES where the screen detaches from the keyboard making everything wireless the CPU/GPU and the cooling is all inside the screen where supposedly making for efficient cooling.

Finally if you take poor solution like Apple's MacBook pros with the hex core i9s in them. Those suckers thermal throttled themselves like nobody's business if you put any kind of a heavy load on them. Even though Apple fixed that in software the cooling effectiveness is still terrible and their built in fan curves suck by making the machine wait until it get up like 80C in order for the fans to kick on lucky there is 3rd party software that counteracts this nonsense.

So at the end of the day it is down to how well the manufacturer of the laptop designs the cooling.

16. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Of course. And the voltage is a crucial point also.... Especially when it comes to the consumer doing so in order to alleviate any throttling.