Ryzen Zen 2 Procs Incompatible With some Older 300-Series due to BIOS limitation?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 16, 2019.

1. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Can you not read the situation here? I'm saying that as a staff member, not as a suggestion.

TalentX, fantaskarsef, DW75 and 3 others like this.
  2. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    Here is MSI's clarification:

"At this point, we are still performing extensive testing on our existing lineup of 300- and 400-series AM4 motherboards to verify potential compatibility for the next-gen AMD Ryzen CPUs. To be clear: Our intention is to offer maximum compatibility for as many MSI products as possible. Towards the launch of the next-gen AMD CPUs, we will release a compatibility list of MSI AM4 motherboards. Below is a full list of upcoming BIOS versions which include compatibility for the next-gen AMD APUs for our 300-Series and 400-Series AM4 motherboards based on the latest AMD Combo PI version 1.0.0.0. These BIOS versions are expected to be released in May this year."

sverek and chispy like this.
  3. Jawnys

Jawnys Master Guru

GPU:
    asus tuf oc 3090
    well if i can swap my ryzen 2700x and keep my b350m mortar i will do it, works perfectly fine, my 2700x boost above 4.4 ghz and my hynix mfr ram rune at 3200 on it, i see no point of changing it to be honest. Just like i kept my z170 with my 7700k and was able to reach 5.05 ghz on it.

chispy likes this.
  4. fredgml7

fredgml7 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 7600
    It's good to have options, competition is the key here.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019

5. GamerNerves

GamerNerves Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Nitro+
    Why post an obvious scam news? Most of the MSI motherboards will get the new BIOS and that's it. Everybody expected this except those who don't understand anything about motherboards, CPUs and BIOS'es. It is not good to hurry with the new code and we have seen in the past that MSI makes careful preparations before releasing BIOS'es.

typhon6657 likes this.
  6. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    It wasn't really a scam. A MSI support personnel provided some misleading information and it made the headlines.

It's not the first time that something like this has happened. During the GPP scandal, MSI customer support in India did something similar - they made some disparaging remarks against AMD GPUs, forcing MSI to apologize and clarify (this seems to be a thing with MSI support :p).

chispy likes this.
  7. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Have a banana and admit you're mistaken

"It doesn't sound like a vendor greed issue and more of a MB limitation.
    it's just like the bullsht intel with the 1151 and 1151v2.......
    AMD said they would support backwards compatibility for AM4 up to 2020, it seems like they won't. that's all."

When you refuse to concede a mistake and start calling names, that is kinda trollish. kthnksbye.

Fox2232, chispy and Aura89 like this.
  8. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    From what I read it's not up to AMD, but motherboards vendors, that designed their motherboards for up to 8 cores Ryzen CPU and used cheap parts to barely maintain the stability.

I wouldn't be surprised if cheap motherboard with cheaper components will struggle to feed Ryzen 9 3800X. (16c / 125W). Yet more expensive motherboards will show stability.

Don't bash AMD yet, I feel there crapstorm coming with motherboards vendors.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  9. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    In a way, if it's due to specifications of motherboards not being able to support 3000 series, then you could say AMD didn't give adequate bare minimum specification requirements to the vendors.

But as well, things happen, something a company thinks will be fine for the next 4 years may not be the case.

10. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    They freaking doubled the cores count from 8 to 16. Tell me the last time it happened in 1 gen.

As I see it, for top-end Matisse R9 3800X, there might be issues with some vendors.
    As far as other 8 - 12 cores (Ryzen 5 3600 - Ryzen 7 3700X ) CPUs are working with average AM4 motherboards, it's fine in my opinion.

11. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    As i said, things happen, something a company thinks will be fine for the next 4 years may not actually be the case. If AMD even gave specifications to have 16MB rom in the first place, who knows. But if they did, they likely expected that would be fine, and that's where it would be AMDs fault, either because they did not give specifications that stated they would need 32MB roms to support future CPUs, or because they thought 16MB would be enough.

But my point on that is, though AMD may be at partial fault, people comparing it to Intel and what they do are just wrong. For all intents and purposes, this seems unintended, if indeed you need 32MB rom.

There's a clear difference from unintended CPU incompatibility and by design CPU incompatibility, this in my opinion is very important.

Fox2232 likes this.
  12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    MSI have responded saying many of their boards are still undergoing part validation and bios updates will be provided where the motherboard can handle Ryzen 3

13. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Where is this posted?

14. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
  15. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    Sorry i must not have made that clear, DDR5 is next Gen after Zen2, that will come with DDR5, so that would be the X670 motherboards assuming they are keeping with the naming scheme.

So if someone wants a quick boost in performance now, but then want to upgrade to Zen 3, they can buy a Zen 2 plop it in a X370 run for about a year then of course next year it will be a New CPU motherboard and memory for the Zen 3.

With regards to MSI compatibility MSI have officially confirmed their B350 and X370 will be compatible, just the BIOSes are not released as they are still under going tests.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/antony...ually-support-3rd-gen-ryzen-zen-2-processors/

16. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    I personally don't need more cores but I want better memory support so I'll be getting the what will be Ryzen 3 series to replace my 1600X. On a side note I'd still have my MSI X370 based board had it not crapped out on me. I subsequently replaced it with a lower tier ASRock B450 board and I'm not really missing anything aside from 2 sata ports. Obviously I've been sitting on the 1600X as the 2k series wasn't enough of a reason to switch. I think(from all the rumors) the 3k series should bring a nice boost in performance over my 1 series.

17. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    16GB RX6800
    @Kool64 Am almost in the same boat really. Kept my 1600X, skipping Zen+ but hoping to keep my motherboard for the 3600X 8 core part then maybe switch to a new board for Zen 3 /4 and DDR5 if necessary.

18. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    why did you downgrade? o_O

19. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    Ten years ago, it was also the case that some AM2 motherboards didn't get BIOS updates for AM2+ and AM3 CPUs. It sucks for people that will be affected by it, and even moreso when you thought you would get BIOS updates by choosing a reputable company like MSI or Asus or anyone else.

But this is also why I'm generally hesitant to recommend a certain platform based on upgradability claims for three years in the future.

20. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    If you wouldnt have used FX chips in 2005, you just scream intel fanboy as AMD had the fastest CPU in that era. But what ever mate. His FX 8120@ 4.2 may be old as hell but he is still able to push 60-75fps on high in BF1 @ 2560x1080 with a RX 570 and still runs rather smooth.

@las Going to a 2600x would not be a waste when I would be selling my 1600 anyways. But I dont use MSI motherboards anymore, and have 0 desire to do so for a long time.
    What you would do with your upgrade path is the not the right way for everyone else. GET THAT THROUGH YOUR HEAD! But you can not even comprehend why I even brought up X58 with the Xeon 6 core upgrade for 2nd get X58 boards. Those users did not need to upgrade to X99 unless they wanted native m.2 Gen3 support. Unless running 1080ti sli, even X 58 2.0 sli is more then enough with a X56XX @ 4.4ghz+ plus with DDR3 1866 to run even high hz monitors. You do not always need a new motherboard to enjoy a good cpu upgrade. Intel forced people to have to upgrade motherboard for BS reason when doing a CPU launch, not refresh.