Ryzen Zen 2 Procs Incompatible With some Older 300-Series due to BIOS limitation?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    chispy likes this.
  2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Well, many older boards predating APU releases were not exactly best choices for them due to VRMs not being sufficient for iGPU.
    One should consider it from technological perspective and then assess if it is reasonable or not.

Last thing company wants is to enable upgrade which will prove to cause issues.

Edit: On other hand, MSI lately makes boards which are not up to standard in their price range. And one is more often than not better off buying board from other manufacturer. Therefore there is chance that it may be just some or all MSI's boards.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    DeskStar likes this.
  3. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    Well crap. Not cool. But still better than you know who.

At least AMD supported 1000 and 2000 chips on the 300 series chipset

386SX likes this.
  4. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    If it truly is universal and not only a strong excuse for the mobo makers to boost their sales, I don't see it being hugely different from the scumbag move Intel did with Coffee Lake. In some sense it would be even worse because Intel never promises future compatibility and everybody more or less expects incompatibility from Intel these days. That's so even when Intel is being especially nasty like how they were by releasing the incompatible Coffee Lake so soon after the "we have perfect trust in" Kaby Lake. Intel doesn't even pretend to be customer friendly, but AMD did.

That's why I think it would be interesting if one manufacturer made some of their models compatible, creating a PR headache for the others.

Keitosha and TalentX like this.

5. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    For bios chip are we talking about the chip that contains the UEFI OS layer?
    I believe they can cut on corners and made the code fit? Like a bios for people that wants to install it and will remove some functionality to save space. ( like checking from the internet if a new bios is available or this kind of things )

Keitosha likes this.
  6. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Honestly, even with AMD this had to happen at some point. I did not expect them to support their new releases on older mainboard forever.
    What they should do is to offer a BIOS which you can flash under your own discretion (and under no warranty) that removes Ryzen 1000 compatability in favour of adding Ryzen 3000 BIOS. Would be a simple BIOS flash, if they offered such a version anyway.

7. Deckard

Deckard Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3090ti Gaming X
    The Asus Crosshair VI Hero & Extreme x370 Motherboard have 128 Mb Flash ROM. so as far as I am reading it my x370 CHVIE should be OK

8. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    If this ends up being true for some motherboards, won't some enterprising modders take a whack at it?

9. TalentX

TalentX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX4090 AIO
    Not like you need a +100 bucks mainboard for a gaming-rig anyway...

10. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Guest

GPU:
    x
    AMD lied basically claiming AM4 support up to 2020? That's pretty lame....

gx-x, typhon6657 and dunadan101 like this.

11. Deckard

Deckard Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3090ti Gaming X
    Not sure what you mean, elaborate please on your pearl of wisdom

typhon6657 likes this.
  12. dunadan101

dunadan101 Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    This tbqh... Bought a 1600x with a quite expensive kit of Ryzen compatible 3200Mhz Cl14 FlareX because my already very good DDR4 Corsair 3Ghz ram wouldn't work on the AM4 platform but I thought down the line I'ld save money anyway. Like many people only reason I bought a Ryzen rather than a faster Intel cpu was that I was promised 7nm Ryzen2 compatibility down the line. Looking at the comments people are jumping to make excuses for them already, Oh.. guess it's okay when AMD does it huh? If true, this really sucks. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

gx-x and typhon6657 like this.
  13. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Not everybody has the money, and in theory, this could have been a way for AMD to bind people to their brand / socket for more than two or three years.
    But in general I buy a new MB myself with every iteration of a CPU.

typhon6657 and airbud7 like this.
  14. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    @las
    Always helpful if you have say an old mobo and new CPU and want to make a useable system.

Came across multiple instances where an Ivy bridge chip would not work on a Sandy bridge mobo (socket 1155). Was a major inconvenience.

15. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    @Hilbert Hagedoorn , Asus have already released 2 new Bios updates for the new upcoming cpus for all of their motherboards x370 , B350 , A320 hence i do not think there will be major problems if Asus can deliver new Bios for the old x370s , B350s also including the basic A320 chipset line of motherboards , meaning all Asus motherboards AM4 do support the new upcoming processors. If Asus have already released this Bios updates for all the AM4 motherboards up to and including older x370 , B350 , A320 , x470 ,B450 , i would think every manufacturer will release Bios updates too supporting the new upcoming processors. Let us hope and let's cross our fingers that every manufacturer release new Bios supporting the new upcoming cpus. AMD promise support of AM4 until year 2020 :)

Examples and pictures from Asus website support page ( source ) :

Asus ROG Crossahir 6 Hero " x370 " : https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO/HelpDesk_BIOS/

[​IMG]

Asus Strix B350-F Gaming " B350 " : https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-B350-F-GAMING/HelpDesk_BIOS/

[​IMG]

Asus Prime A320M-A ( the most basic and old motherboard from Asus line up supports the new upcomming cpus :) " A320 " chipset. : https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/PRIME-A320M-A/HelpDesk_BIOS/

[​IMG]

Kool64, typhon6657, Killian38 and 5 others like this.

16. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Sry but no. 128Mb are 128 megabit (lowercase "b"), not megabyte. 8 bit equals 1 byte. So 128 : 8 = 16 (megabyte). 32 megabytes are needed.

Evildead666 likes this.
  17. Aniboom

Aniboom Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 6950 XT
    Fancy thing is that I have a MSI B450M Bazooka V2 and it has a 128Mb Flash too with a 4+2 VRM design but somehow mine supports 3000 series according to these details.

I may be a dreamer but I'll hold on AMD's words for general AM4 support until 2020.

Hope the future won't prove me wrong. :D

Jagman and Evildead666 like this.
  18. Turnet

Turnet Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 8GB
    No, they didn't. Don't blame AMD if it's obviously not true. ASUS already supports 300-series Motherboards with newer BIOS and AGESA which includes support for the upcoming Zen2-CPUs.

So assuming MSI won't support 300-series because of BIOS limitation is just wrong. Zen2-support for the 300-series is possible for ASUS but not for MSI? Come on.

Aura89, Jagman, Keitosha and 2 others like this.
  19. TalentX

TalentX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX4090 AIO
    For the mere purpose of gaming the mainboards you've mentioned are overpriced. Considering the bummer, if upgrade incompatibility remains, it would've hurt less if you have to change a cheaper mainboard instead one that costs twice as much or even more.

20. anders190

anders190 Member

GPU:
    1080Ti Phoenix GS
    My Asus TUF B350M got Zen2 support a few weeks back. Seems more like MSI cheapened out on their motherboards.

This will be interesting to follow though. :)

chispy likes this.