NVIDIA Brings DX-R To Pascal GPUs with new driver

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 11, 2019.

1. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO
    Which leads me to the question how does SLI effect DX-R performance?, from what I understand NVlink has no scaling effect on RTX raytracing performance with the 20 series cards when running in SLI, does DX-R scale when it is run in purely compute mode like on Pascal?

2. uKER

uKER Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    I'll call myself happy if my GTX 1070 runs Quake 2 at all.

3. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    now if we could see AMD cards doing it too, i wonder if they slot in between 16xx and 20xx cards

4. zorandesign

zorandesign Member

GPU:
    MSI NX7600GT
    Anyone thought of the possibility that the benchmarks now are actually working this way:

Geforce RTX utilises DXR + RT Cores ( both methods )
    Geforce GTX utilises DXR, because they are missing the RT Cores.

How about a scenario where the RTX utilises only the RT cores, while the GTX utilises the DXR? I guess the DXR would be possible on the AMD cards as well, so let's see how this all works on Vulkan, a place where AMD can shout to Intel + Microsoft "you have no power here". Ok, joke aside, Vulkan DXR alternative would be great to see, that was my thought.

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Setting aside the fact that value is determined by what the market is willing to pay (and people there are enough buying the RTX series to justify its price point), why does it matter if something is overpriced? Why does it matter if you can't afford a luxury, which DX-R is?

fr33k likes this.
  6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    There is Vulkan support, though I'm not sure if it's available for Windows [yet]:
    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NVIDIA-Pascal-VK_NV_ray_tracing

Since Vulkan is an open-standard, I'm sure it'll be a matter of time until AMD complies with the RT Vulkan extensions.

fantaskarsef and zorandesign like this.
  7. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO
    Well slow adoption rate for one, when a new technology is overpriced it's adoption rate is much lower which in turn stagnates the development cycle, and who says I can't afford these cards, someone been looking at my bank balance? I choose not to upgrade because from the price/performance perspective they are simply not worth the money.

8. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    oh neat now I can choke out my 1070 and use all 8gb of ram too!

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    If you don't think it's worth the money, which is a perfectly fine opinion to have, then don't buy it. Since you aren't buying it, what's the problem on your end? Unless you're a shareholder of Nvidia's, why does it matter if they shoot themselves in the foot with something many deem too expensive?
    I just don't see what the problem is.

10. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO
    No problem on my end, we're all just communicating just voicing our own ideas and opinions, does there need to be a problem? I'm confused :)

Speaking of which has anyone got any numbers for SLI and DX-R? Does it scale?

The Reeferman likes this.

11. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    The stupidest generation of all time, GG nVidia.

12. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    now you got me confused, i read the conversation as there is a problem with luxary items not being affordable. I apologize if my comments were not on topic.

13. ThEcLiT

ThEcLiT Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 460 1gb OC
    Just wait for AMD and new generation Consoles, they will all support RayTracing, and will possibly perform same or better than any Nvidia card.

14. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO
    I mean yeah I'm not happy with Nvidia's current price model like a lot of people but I can't speak for anyone else. I have no issues with what people choose or don't choose to spend their money on, that's their business but personally i'd feel like a mug if I invested in this current gen, but that's just my opinion. Nvidia has zero competition right now so they can charge what they want and I don't blame them for milking it but I do look forward to the days when the prices come back down to earth, hopefully when Intel joins the game, but we will see.

Still enjoying these demo's tho even at the crappy framerates.

15. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    This is easily the worst "value" generation of cards from Nvidia that we've ever seen. To anyone who's been buying them for the past ~decade, that's not even debatable.

Personally, I think selling RTX as a major feature (and naming it RTX) is misleading. It can't be used at any reasonable frame rates (with max settings) with this hardware and it's barely seeing adoption in new games. It may be a great feature in another generation or 2 but it isn't mature. Unless I missed some new breakthrough.

16. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Someone doesn't remember or didn't live through the fx5000 series

So you're faulting it because everything has to start somewhere?

Guess nothing should ever start anywhere and lets just be fine with nothing ever advancing.

And your blanket idea that the rtx series can't perform at respectable fps either shows hoe naive you are, your unwillingness to actually see what it is you're trying to describe or blatant flamebaiting.

Not everything is about your one specific needs and wants, if you don't find 60-90fps playable for you, thats a you problem, sure more is better, but 60-90fps has no definition of unplayable, anywhere. Playable is reasonable.

17. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Yeah, It will be interesting to see what AMD answer is to all this.

18. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    What about indies and studios on tight budgets, some are rich most not.
    Also you ignore the fact that buying hardware in such environment is complicated, they have Hundreds of workstations and they get refreshed X amount of years, ow EVERYONE from bottom to the top can test.

19. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    [​IMG]

DrKeo, nick0323, fantaskarsef and 3 others like this.
  20. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    Is it out already? The Nvidia RTX Quake 2?