Joled starts mass production of monitor OLED panels 10" to 32" next year

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
  3. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Burn-in on PC is gonna be crazy.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  4. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Probably...but I'll wait until the results are out, but if it is organic, then yeah, it will degrade.

In other news, Samsung's new foldable phone was released...quite possibly one of the worst devices ever invented, by someone who does not understand why people have:

1) A mobile telephone
    2) A smartphone
    3) A tablet

Just to unashamedly pontificate, the usage of these 3 devices does not overlap - and only those who have an affinity towards 'trendy new stuff' would purchase it.

Not talking about the early adopters, because that is a massive assumption that 'this' is going to be the new norm. I'm talking about people who just want trendy stuff...

I just cannot believe that people actually sat around a table and thought the foldable phone would be a good idea. Just because people buy tablets, smartphones and mobile phones does not follow that you can combine all three into one device!

Reductive analogy:

People like chocolate.
    People like hangliding.
    People like museums.

Samsung make a product that allows you to hanglide through a museum, whilst being force-fed chocolate!

Pathetic.

5. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    A screensaver of a white bmp file when PC idle for more than 5 min should prevent that. Unless you spend hours without getting off your chair for a 5 min break.

DeskStar likes this.
  6. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Being away from PC is not what i worry about, because i have energy saving set to turn off the monitor after 10 minutes.

It's long gaming sessions with the crosshair and HUD at the same spot.

7. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    I had hopes this year.. or maybe microled instead...geez...

8. HoT

HoT Guest

GPU:
    1070 G1
    But u have a break after a while with the statistic panel etc , dunno how much that help

9. zorandesign

zorandesign Member

GPU:
    MSI NX7600GT
    I don't think this will be an issue. We can have HUD and crosshair that slowly and steadily shifts their color hue. Or it can be implemented on hardware level too. If the monitor recognizes static colored pixels, it will shift their color, reducing one sub-pixel brightness and increasing another one. The color shifting can be defined by user's preference(customizable).

I personally can't wait to switch to OLED. It is the ultimate 2D display technology.

DeskStar likes this.
  10. Richard Nutman

Richard Nutman Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7800XT
    It really isn't.
    Blackcrush, poor brightness levels, burn-in as mentioned, brightness & contrast degradation over time.
    It's great for movies in a dark room. Not so sure it's a great choice for computer monitors.

11. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Yes, my main interest here will be in the factory warranties first, then of course price--they will reveal much, imo...;)

DeskStar likes this.
  12. EJocys

EJocys Guest

GPU:
    nVidia 1070
    Interesting which PC monitor under £1K will hit 100% DCI-P3 (Digital Cinema) colour space first.

Note: 100% DCI-P3 monitors can display 25% more colors when compared to 100% sRGB/BT.709/REC.709 monitors, but it is still just 45.5% of colors human eye can see (CIE 1931 colour space).

13. zorandesign

zorandesign Member

GPU:
    MSI NX7600GT
    Please name another monitor tech that can provide the contrast the OLED can first, then we'll talk about the cons.
    Burn-in is not an issue, it is solvable.
    Blackcrush is a problem only on TVs, not on monitors that will be callibrated.
    Poor brightness is also a TV sized panels, not on lower sizes.
    Brightness and contrast degradation - please provide some relevant long term tests that do not base on subjective opinions.

DeskStar, Aura89 and Maddness like this.
  14. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    You have an OLED and have experienced these issues? An OLED 2017 or newer? This talk of brightness levels is getting a little out of hand. Not sure about you, but there have been many reviews of monitors/TV's of which the "reviewer" refers specifically to lowering the contrast and brightness to "non retina searing levels...."

I have personally never experienced any of the stated issues you have mentioned, but maybe I am lucky, or that I know what I am dealing with and take care of my shtuff…

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    Aura89, zorandesign and Maddness like this.
  15. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Is burn in solvable? Maybe a few generations from now - idk, but by then MicroLED will be out which does completely solve it utilizing a completely different screen technology. Blackcrush is a problem on TVs and Phones that are calibrated - I'm not sure why you think monitors would be different.

I tend to agree about brightness - OLED phones can get very bright -- TV's on the otherhand can use some work (I own a 65" LG C7) as far as brightness/contrast degradation:

http://i.rtings.com/images/reviews/tv/lg/real-burn-in/real-burn-in-hdr-10-large.jpg

Non issue as far as I'm concerned.

16. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    My problem with OLED is the maximum of around 400 nits with great colour volume, this is where they excel. Unfortunately thats the max nits it can do while keeping the quality up and without serious burn in issues.
    Beyond 400 nits they need to use a white OLED that increases brightness, but it only manages 800 nits and reduces colour quality substantially.

HDR movies are mastered commonly in 1000, 2000, ... 10,000nits, OLED cannot do them justice.
    Its nice to have the best blacks but they most certainly do not have the best brights.
    I chose a Samsung 2000nit QLED over OLED for this reason and to avoid worrying about burnin.
    2000 nits is lovely and very handy for even SDR material due to the HDR+ conversion the TV can do with SDR material.
    I use HDR+ with all SDR video, it is super.
    Its great pushing the TV to its max quality without any worry and its a seriously good display to do it with!

17. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    As long as it is 480Hz and reasonable price, I am all in.

18. Tripkebab

Tripkebab Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3080
    Ah but think how amazing that would be in games like Titanfall 2 where some guns have no Crosshair! lol

19. howiec

howiec Member

GPU:
    GTX 970 HOF
    Yes, freakin finally!

Also, Japanese products are typically well-designed and of very high production quality, so this is exciting.

The only problem is... now I have to buy both a 0.5ms 240Hz 1440p TN monitor when it's released AND a JOLED display soon after.

Crap, where's all my $ gone?

zorandesign likes this.
  20. zorandesign

zorandesign Member

GPU:
    MSI NX7600GT
    Burn-in is avoidable, and like any challenge it is solvable and it will be either solved within the same technology, or more probably - revised in a shape of similar in nature technology that do not suffer from the same issue.