Windows 10 [19H1] Build 18362

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Extraordinary, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Strange Times

Strange Times Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6600 XT
    and guys i cant turn off windows defender in 19h1 builds. wtf M$?
    upd: in group policy i disabled real time protection and cloud+tamper in defender settings
    now 0% cpu usage

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  2. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Even via Registry?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREPoliciesMicrosoftWindows Defender

At that location set key "DisableAntiSpyware" to 1

If it does not exist, create new Dword (32-bit) named "DisableAntiSpyware", and set to 1, then restart so the registry value works.

Or does this registry location not exist anymore in new builds? I've not tried the newest build before.

3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    It does still run a background scan and update if you disable it through Group Policy now so I assume the same goes for registry edits, disabling just the scan in addition to Defender via gpedit seems to disable the scheduled scanning but not the updating of definition files so I guess a combination of settings is needed for users who want it fully disabled now, likely a change on Microsofts end due to the increase in malware though I prefer a weekly manual scan and maybe a scan of the download folder though it's not guaranteed to detect the newest ([bleep]-ing tons of money in this business now unfortunately and so many new variants and exploits both software and hardware bios and HDD and what else, firmware? routers? All kinds of things.) but it's something at least, even more secure sites can get compromised after all or have security exploits.

Some of the scans and code stuff can tank performance a bit but the system tries to only run it during downtime or idle periods at least though part of the background mitigation can have a slight effect depending on software and how it's compiled.
    (Think a few games are affected by a compiler flag and some code isolation or security feature in place since a earlier version of Windows 10 for one example. Need to do a lot more reading to get a proper understanding of exactly how this all works though.)

Strange Times likes this.
  4. EDK-Rise

EDK-Rise Active Member

GPU:
    AsusStrixTop 6900XT
    I made my windows too much little! just 28 process @ startup. BFV runs great
    [​IMG]

5. Strange Times

Strange Times Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6600 XT
    in 1903 not working

KissSh0t likes this.
  6. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    26 immediately at start here though then scheduled tasks and maintenance usually sees it hit 34 within a day of uptime and then another 4 during update checks (Installer and it's helper and some USO thing now too and it's helper.) though these eventually terminate. Other than Firefox RAM and processor usage is at least maintained well though the decoupling of svchost.exe into separate processors back with a earlier OS build for Win10 did look a bit funny even if it's not too bad overall.

AMD has a few services as well and I guess the same goes for NVIDIA, Steam and other stuff and yeah 35-ish or so regular usage. (34 now, roughly 12 hour uptime since the last reboot after the 18362.30 update.)

EDIT: Actually that would be background tasks re-checking the image, Windows is way higher. (90 some.) Neat!

EDIT: CPU usage here is around 1% mainly due to Defender idling if not disabled as mentioned above, RAM sits at around 22% of 16 GB which is primarily cached for Firefox but freed if required though 32 GB is sounding like a good buffer or possibly higher for the next system depending on pricing.
    (Games and software are going to start using more too even if most have a fairly low requirement nowadays, doesn't hurt to have more though assuming pricing isn't shot entirely, again.)

EDIT: Efficiency is a thing too, this CPU as a earlier hexa core has the core count but doesn't hold up against even the 4000 series from Intel bringing some refinement let along later models plus motherboard advantages and other tweaks like for memory. :D

All in all it's about time for an upgrade though it is nice to see Windows 10 can be trimmed down and still keep functionality ha ha. :)
    (Oh yeah this system is on overtime definitively but at least it's somehow holding up and the upgrade should be a nice noticeable one for whenever it actually does happen but it's pushed about as far as it can go now so it's about time.)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  7. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    You must disable a lot of services and tasks, I have like 125 processes on avg day, that is with LGS, AB, Origin and firefox running.
    I leave defender with just realtime setting on but my avg CPU% as listed is low ,like 1-4% and mostly 1-2%.
    This is still 1809 though, if that matters.

8. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    It's stock as such directly from a ISO from the MS servers almost (Updated via MS Update however.) though apps are then mostly uninstalled for those I don't need or use and they also don't idle in the background so that cuts down on a few running things though apps are "sleeping" and don't really consume resources in this mode either just to mention that.
    For Steam it had four web helper services for Chromium but I disabled it's Chromium components via "-no-browser" since I use the actual browser for anything Steam since that's where the Steam DB extension comes in effect.
    (I was hoping it would reduce the start up time but that only really sees a impact from the amount of games installed and hello backlog!)

I am curious to compare against a fully clean install however when it's time for that which is another pressing matter with how often I've just upgraded from one build to the next now but with the age of the system and even partial HDD sector corruption now (All important stuff is backed up to secondary drives and storage media already and it's still only 2 of several thousand though it will fail sooner rather than later when it's setting in.) so it's something I've put off until I can put together a new computer and then that's just taken way too long. :)

Firefox usually starts as a singular process and then splits into six or seven processes though even if you close down all the other tabs these remain, hardware acceleration is also adding a few processes but due to recurring driver bugs and browser bugs or both this is disabled for well probably forever at this rate.

Been meaning to do a more thorough and comprehensive editing using the former Black Viper list (No longer updated.) and this https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...ating-system-components-to-microsoft-services but that's endless so it's just the basics whenever a new build comes out and a few settings reset.

As a computer built up for Windows 8 originally and then upgraded continually it's pretty screwed up but somehow ticking and working, was hoping to see the new AMD CPU's and ideally also the new AMD and NVIDIA GPU's but four to six years instead of eight would probably have been far better ha ha, surprised how robust it is and how well it keeps up but it's hitting it's limits and the system is anything but clean so it kinda just breaks enough to still keep working I suppose.

Still keeping up in benchmark comparisons though (EDIT: Well within reason but not as bad as I was expecting.) far as gaming is concerned, CPU and RAM can bottleneck things a fair bit however for when these count so 15 to 25% of a deficit here (Watch_Dogs 2 is a strong contended for RAM loving game next to Fallout 4) probably more RAM than processor but the CPU is starting to matter too especially as hexa core is coming into effect in newer titles and of course apps in general outside of gaming.
    (Gaming wise well it might not seem like it but open world games even if lightweight otherwisde can still see a surprising uplift of overall performance from DDR4 and of course improvements from the processor and the memory channels.)

Ah and the touch input service or tablet service is disabled (Re-enables after each upgrade.) for one tweak directly affecting services, some app from RS5 in regards to touch input is also popping up a bit after boot which I then terminate manually because this isn't a touch system. :p
    (It's a bit like that with Windows and having some fit-all configuration though the app is harmless as such, input tablet service can impact a few titles if they're well probably a generalization but coded poorly for how to handle this.)

And the lockscreen app which does something, I terminate that one too after it pops up since it appeared in RS4 I think?

I have more to learn about the OS too, been using and re-learning it for years but there's always more. Plus my little minor inconveniences such as not having the DirectX or VC++ runtimes part of the system by default despite their importance and the DX runtime hasn't seen a update since June 2010 by now but it's so minor it's not really worth mentioning.

EDIT: Of course just waiting on newer and better all the time isn't going to work either, primarily it was the DDR4 and switch to SSD's and being hopeful that the prices would normalize quicker and that SSD's would be faster to overtake HDD's entirely that caused a bit of a extra delay, AMD now going more competitive and Intel getting more into this is also nice to see and that made another delay seeing how this worked but 2019 or 2020 is probably where this is going to end and it's just going to need to assemble whatever is available within a budget and maybe slap a newer GPU in a year down the line if nothing's too interesting is available and keeping the current one for a little while longer.

Meanwhile on the OS side of things this is almost reverse now, waiting on a stable version of Windows 10 for whatever it takes LTSB all in if that's what is going to be needed and avoiding getting updated to the latest and greatest although it does seem Redstone 5 is now pretty thoroughly debugged and fixed up following a problematic launch and first few months.

Or so it seems, Microsoft probably has some strategy and what would I know but we'll see where it goes I guess. 19H1 isn't terrible but there's probably work to be done and this BattleEye issue might take some more time to be resolved for the remainder of the listed known issues.

EDIT: Egh too much babble on the old system heh.

Well bring on 19H1 I suppose, so far 18362.1 now 18362.30 with this newest cumulative hasn't been too problematic but we'll see when it hits release preview and then the general release channel after that.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    Jackalito likes this.