Rebirth: Introducing photorealism in UE4

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Check this video out,really, you need to do so. Rebirth is a real-time cinematic harnessing the power of Unreal Engine and real-world scans from the Megascans Icelandic collection. With photorealistic...

Rebirth: Introducing photorealism in UE4

2. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    So what is it exactly? My eyes only see a bunch of layers that adds cinematic experience.

3. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Fantastic and impressive. Love it!

4. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    cmiiw the point is cinematic-quality rendered using UE4 engine right ?
    rather than pre-rendered using renderer (ie. renderman, vray etc.)

but this isnt really new
    starwars rouge-one and finding dory already using UE4 for the movie

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Looks pretty cool. I'd like to know on what hardware that was rendered, in what time...

6. Locoyote

Locoyote Guest

GPU:
    GTX1060 6GB
    That would be good if it was a playable tech demo.

7. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    Not in real-time though.

8. reix2x

reix2x Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 4870 1GB
    This for me is impressive, if this where a movie i would see it. Now i would like to know which hardware they use for the real time render and the production time. it looks gorgeous!

9. warezme

warezme Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 970GTX Classified
    I believe we are within a generation or two of games capable of this in real time. I'm excited and can't wait to actually play a game/simulation with this level of reality but with VR headset. Imagine interacting and building inside a game with this level of reality. awesome.

10. NCC1701D

NCC1701D Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    I've been seeing these awesome tech demos for what seems like forever. I don't expect we'll see graphic fidelity like this show up for at least another decade or more in playable real-time games on the average gaming computer. As we approach the limit of what is possible on silicon, we'll either see a major slowdown in advancement or a massive paradigm shift to a new technology. I expect devs will go extreme multi-core/threaded on the software side for a while to raise the possibility of what's achievable, but that's going to get very expensive at some point to keep advancing on the hardware side. Of course, I'm not an engineer, nor do I work in industry, but I'm curious about what the future will hold. What do the rest of you think is likely to happen to keep moving things forward?

11. Petr V

Petr V Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx over 9000
    UT 2004 remake pls

Undying likes this.
  12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Photorealistic my ass, Closets to Photorealistic to date sure.

We are along ways away from seeing true photo realistic quality in real-time

fantaskarsef likes this.
  13. nice slideshow

Undying likes this.
  14. definfinite

definfinite Member

GPU:
    GG6602G
    As far as I can see nobody said it's realtime lit. A trending feature for game engine marketing is photorealism. Simple as that.
    If we take away computational differences in production offline and production realtime, there's still a big problem and that's data.
    A single offline production scene can weigh at least multiple terabytes of data, dozens or even hundreds of terabytes.
    Just imagine a game with a big playground and that kind of fidelity... could be petabytes easily.
    We live in a marketing mirage anyway.

15. Lilith

Lilith Member Guru

GPU:
    nvidia GTX 1660ti
    RTX on? :D

fantaskarsef likes this.

16. GxCx

GxCx Guest

GPU:
    burned
    I was thinking about new meaning of phrase real time in this content , this time its real )
    anyway Quixel megascans looks impressing.
    petabytes no, Weta was rendering 12Tera a hour in the era of Hobbit, its a lot, but reasonable.
    when they render realtime motion blur on high poly then maybe, the car was so unreadable

17. edd

edd Guest

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080ti 11GB
    It's rendered on 1x 1080ti. You should check out the behind the scenes video it explains a lot more about what they actually achieved.

theoneofgod likes this.
  18. definfinite

definfinite Member

GPU:
    GG6602G
    I admit that it is a nicely presented cinematic experience. Also there's a definite place in the market for such tools.
    But each tool has it's purpose just like you cant create giant tunnels with a single handheld power drill.
    That line in the original video description, 'With photorealistic results rivaling traditional offline renderers, Rebirth represents a new way of crafting computer graphics' is quite an exaggeration.
    Nothing really new, nothing really rivaling anything. One step on a long journey, that's what I think it is.

19. Dimitrios1983

Dimitrios1983 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580
    After your comment the first thing that came to my mind is that yes we will have photo realistic games but we will be back to the 1990's of no real open world since so much man power and computation data needed will restrict/limit developers for a while.

20. definfinite

definfinite Member

GPU:
    GG6602G
    Developers wont give up what has been proven abruptly, instead improve existing tech and/or add new tech just like rtx.
    I do think that with the increasing amount of static and animation data, graphics and physics computation it is going to be an exponential curve, an ever increasing challenge for developers.

What I would like to accent is that there's no such thing as earth shattering breaktrough just like the usual graphics agenda last year or the year before or the year before,
    there are more or less important milestones with amazing efforts, risks, blood, sweat and tears behind the curtains.
    Also, high profile offline graphics too is just smoke and mirrors, everything is just an approximation of reality anyway.

To be fair many actual advanced 3D graphics at it's time, be it realtime or offline, more recent or older, was almost like witchcraft with the amount of complexity going on.