Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Damien_Azreal, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    He isn't in shorts... but Uncharted is pretty much the "male Tomb Raider"...

2. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    That depends on which Tomb Raider we're talking about. The new rebooted one? Sure, albeit it's fair to say that the modern TR is like Uncharted (not the other way around). I kinda miss the Core design template, where it was more about platforming and the exploration that came with it, than about "survival" in an "open world".

3. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I've watched some more stuff and i actually think it look good, was abit too quick to judge it.

As for Tomb Raider, the second game is one of my all time favourites and the first and only game to give me vertigo, but i'm pretty sure there is alot of nostaligia and lower standards in there.

4. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    People are complaining about the writing, but it's obvious a lot of that dialog is out of place. Used to effect in the trailer, and not where it's actually used in the game.
    They've done this with past games.

5. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    super excited for more ***** ass kicking

6. Straykatt

Straykatt Guest

GPU:
    3090 FE
    I can’t seem to get vsync to work in this game, I searched the net and a lot of people say they can’t get it to work. Does anyone have a fix?

7. Straykatt

Straykatt Guest

GPU:
    3090 FE
    Thanks! I’ll give it a try.

8. Straykatt

Straykatt Guest

GPU:
    3090 FE
    Dang, still not working. I’m using the newest drivers, I haven’t seen vsync broken in years.

9. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    I haven t suffered with v sync and stutter in my life like this game, totally unoptimized..

10. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Had no problems with Wolf 2. No stuttering/hitching, even when I was on my old 970.
    But, because of the 970's vram limitations, I kept the settings to where they would work within 3.5 gig of video memory. Because with that card, the minute you go over the 3.5 threshold, you're opening the door for issues.

Would've been a great card, but Nvidia truly screwed it over with that awful video memory setup.

11. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    If you have SLI turned on, might want to try disabling it for this particular game. I'm sure Wolfenstein 2 doesn't support SLI so that might be causing your issues.

12. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    Yeah, I initially played the game with my old GTX 970, and it ran great except in a few locations where you can tell there was level loading stutter in some locations. I got $30 or so back from a lawsuit from that 3.5 GB thing, so...

I forget which specific settings alleviated the 3.5 GB stutter issue for this game... I think a texture setting to the second to lowest. I did some tests and the image quality is the same except it just loads less textures in at once... or something like that.

13. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Yeah, there was a class-action lawsuit against Nvidia for the memory allocation on the 970.
    It was, IIRC, false advertising as nowhere in the description of the product did it state that the 4gigs of memory were actually two different speeds.

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    they weren't 2 different speeds.

all memory could be accessed at the same rate, as long as you weren't addressing both regions of the upper memory at the same time.

15. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    Under DirectX or maybe openGL, it's presented as two different VRAM pools. Most games just ignored (didn't use) the slower .5 GB pool unless it really needed it. In the end it had a minor effect, but very convenient for nVidia, it was revealed a number of months after the launch.

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    It is not presented as 2 different pools,

What happened is Windows managed the upper region for its own compositor and system theme which could get away with being in the slower region.

There was never any driver tweaks that prevented games from making use of it, apart from windows itself preferring not to fully relinquish the region.

17. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    Smoothbore125mm gun
    Just finished this, finally. Of the new Wolfensteins, Old Blood is still my favorite. TNO and TNC are good games technically but they both left me feeling kind of cold. Too much storytelling in a Wolfenstein game for my taste. TOB feels like I'm playing a revamped RTCW.

18. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    That's because it kinda was. TOB is basically a retelling of RtCW's first chapter. TNO was fine in my eyes, as it was a new take on the series. I disliked TNC for similar reasons as you posted. Too much cutscenes, dialogue, and (unlikable) characters. Some of the tweaks to combat made it a chore, rather than fun. The game was also tone-deaf, as it bounced from rather unpleasant edgy violence to raucous comedy at the drop of a hat.

TOB was best suited for someone like me. The plot was easy to follow, no overt edgelordery was present, the stages and encounters were fun, the game had like 5 characters that you encountered (mostly) one by one, and I like the return to linear level progression. The final boss was nothing to write home about, but for (basically) two DLCs sandwiched together, it was OK. I didn't bother with Youngblood, as the trailers turned me off immediately (no fan of the gameplay either).

Redemption80 likes this.
  19. Sandam19

Sandam19 Guest

GPU:
    2060Super
    Guys, tell me how to enable MSAA smoothing in this game via Nvidia Inspector, what settings should I prescribe? In the game itself via the console, the r_antialiasing MSAA command is there, but it does not work. Of all the available smoothing options, I like FXAA(1TX) the most, but there are still ladders

20. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    MSAA is not supported in this game, or any other game that's not using Direct3D 9. It's a modern game, and that means that if it doesn't offer MSAA itself as an option, you can't force it.

In this game, you should probably use the game's TSSAA option to get rid of most jaggies.