UWD driver performance

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by kurtextrem, Mar 23, 2019.

1. kurtextrem

kurtextrem Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
    Is there any improvement in performance using the UWD driver? Or why should anyone switch to it? Does anyone have any data or has benchmarked it already?

Thank you in advance.

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    There is no improvements. UWD is just another way of creating and deploying the bundles with drivers.

3. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    What's UWD?

4. kurtextrem

kurtextrem Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

5. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    UWD is not a term anyone else seems to use. Officially those drivers are called DCH.

6. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Microsoft calls these new types of drivers bundles UWD. NVIDIA calls them DCH. Realtek calls them UAD.

MoKiChU likes this.
  7. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
  8. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    DCH(U) is actually present as an abbreviation in that linked MSDN article. Intel also uses DCH. Never seen UWD used as an abbreviation anywhere in a Microsoft document. They like to spell out "Unviersal Windows Drivers", and use "DCH(U)" to refer to the design behind it, but not spotted the acronym in an official document.

I guess I'll stick to DCH.

MoKiChU and mbk1969 like this.
  9. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Then we will be the ones who nailed UWD abbreviation and will get royalties.
    But seriously, main this is to understand the meaning behind the words.

Microsoft likes that combination - Universal Windows: Universal Windows Platform, Universal Windows Driver.

PS A sudden thought. I know an example when completely different types of application are called with one name - XAML. Both UWP apps and WPF apps use kinda the same design - XAML-files - for UI representation. But beside that both types of apps are based on absolutely different platforms - WinRT for UWP and .Net Framework for WPF. And when people write "I hate XAML apps in Windows 10" they mean "I hate UWP apps in Windows 10". For me as developer it is sad a bit because XAML itself is fantastic feature which has nothing to do with the bad behaviour of UWP apps.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    oanh and MoKiChU like this.
  10. Dagda

Dagda Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    i tested personally on both cards, there is no difference on performance or stability, i don't have any videos because i don't have the time to edit like the kind of benchmark videos people like, you have to take my word or test them yourself too. if you opt for the last option i can guarantee you is a waste of time.

kurtextrem likes this.

11. dexterav

dexterav Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 4090 OC
    files is same in all version just setup make different installation type for DCH and for standart

12. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    I'm pretty sure the only difference is the nvidia control panel. If nvcp was more responsive or loaded faster, I could see a reason for using them but that doesn't seem to be the case.

13. klepp0906

klepp0906 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 2080TI
    i literally use them due to all my other drivers that require an "app" use them. So all my driver apps are in the same place.

ocd-much.

realtek - intel - nvidia.

of course theres also the futureproof thing. in the end theyre all gonna end up there anyways so says poppa M$

14. oanh

oanh Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radon 530 4 gb
    Microsoft likes anything, as long as it contains the word "Windows"

Actually, I just read that the UCH version of Intel graphics drivers will not be available for download after Oct 11, 2019-- head over to download it before its gone!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019