Valve To Overhaul for Steam GUI

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    TBF, it really needs it. It manages to be ugly and slow at the same time.

Big Picture is a bit better, but that is still slow and buggy, so only a 33% win.

It's the same scenario with NVCP, it's old, slow and ugly to look at, but alot of people are abit rain man and can't handle change so push back against improvement.

2. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    I only use Small Mode anyway so it’s just a small list in the corner of my desktop and have my friends list next to it. I have almost 500 games so I just have it filtered to Installed so it’s perfect.

Cave Waverider likes this.
  3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    They can nope right off.

4. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Keep the GUI the same then boys! we are good, nah i joke. still needs some work. but will have to have a go at the feature, and see what i can do... i dont wanna block say "anime" cause i;m sure i might play something like dragon ball z fighter, which would come under it.

Do you know if you block out content if you manual try to find it would you see it?

5. Thunk_It

Thunk_It Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080ti Turbo
    Thanks Hilbert for posting this article. I have to say, I really do like Steam. Gaming is in there, benchmarking software is in there, videos are in there, and of course the virtually unfettered reviews and forums are in there. When I login to Steam, it's like a trip to Walmart; I can purchase weed killer on one side of the store, and purchase groceries on the other side - all under one climate controlled roof.

So my view of this planned GUI update is that it will be a very welcomed change (will everyone like it - no of course not). At the end of the day, Steam has to be competitive. If other online gaming stores are cutting into their market share, they certainly need to embrace innovative change. Personally, I want Steam to continue too be successful.

6. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    In my experience no, you won't.

For example, I have "FPS" as a blocked category and if I search for something borderline like Fallout 4 it won't show up in a quick search.

That said, once you're in the search results page you will be informed that your search gave a number of excluded results and give you the option to show them.

Ricepudding likes this.
  7. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    They didn't (go with the origin look) it's nothing like Origin. Origin doesn't have a small mode, or an easy to navigate interface. It's still simple if you want it to be, just don't use the new options, simple.

INSTG8R likes this.
  8. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    VALVE IS THE DEVIL!

:D

9. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Have they got a defrag feature? Steam fragments sooooo easily, like the software is 16-bit and I'm using a floppy disk.

So, you think it's better to have nvidia geforce experience capturing all of your data, do you?

You think Epic is bad; geforce experience does things that Epic have wet dreams about.

10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Ah, heres the "Update it for the sake of updating it" guy that we can blame Windows 8 and 10 make everything square ui's for.

11. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I couldn't care less, but who mentioned GFE, it's a separate thing from NVCP, not a replacement.

The point was like Steam, it also has a dated GUI that is very slow.

12. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    If all you want is a simple list just go to the View tab and select small mode, personally im fine with steam as it is...... 0.6% cpu usage when its open, i get automatic updates, easily find workshop items for my games like Ets2 and Ats.

INSTG8R likes this.
  13. SSJBillClinton

SSJBillClinton Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 MSI GX Trio
    A revamp is sorely needed. I have about 4300~ games on Steam, and navigating the library turns Steam into an unresponsive "has stopped responding" for x amount of time mess until it catches up with itself. Moving the window between monitors makes it lock up for a good 5 seconds too.

I don't care if it's ugly as long as I can launch my games without getting mad at the launcher.

Redemption80 and Netherwind like this.
  14. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    No sorry it really isn't you see Walmart would have at least a basic level of QC on the products it sells to people. It wouldn't let some random guy turn up stick a pile of dog turds on the shelf covered in baby vomit and then let them sell it for whatever they wanted as long as they gave Walmart a cut of the profits and IF by chance they did let something like that slip through and got customer feedback about it they would no doubt remove the product from sale and not feed some BS about censorship and community regulation of their products.

So yes while the GUI of Steam is slow, ugly and prone to any number of bugs it is way way the least of Valve's issues with the platform.

15. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    GeForce Exp doesn't capture any of my data. I mean if you're a bit of a noob user, sure....but not if you're smart
    Sounds like an issue with your PC/OS. I have never ever seen Steam not responding, ever. Nor have I ever seen it even get slow in any way AT ALL.
    Mind you, I don't have a stupid 4300 games (which honestly, is ridiculous. Not even close to 10% of those would be decent games).
    Regardless, the issue lies on your end. I've been using it for over 13yrs, own hundreds of games, know many friends who have hundreds more than me, and not one person has ever complained about Steam being slow. No issue moving it between monitors either. It's snappy. The fact you talk about it slowing down at all, surprises me. I've literally never had Steam lock up, slow down, become sluggish or anything remotely similar. It simply doesn't happen. Therefore I assume, since no one else complains of this issue, this is your problem, not steams.

Upgrade your PC, reinstall your os or I dunno.....figure it out. Maybe you're not using it correctly also. I mean if you're browsing your games using big picture or something...most of us just use small mode, ya know?

Ummm, do you have 4300 games too? :p Sorry but I don't know why you guys are having issues with it being slow....it's simply not behaviour I've ever seen. It's always instant and snappy for me, no matter what. Very strange.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019

16. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I have 1600 games on steam and i can't even remotely agree with his statement. I get that 1600 is not 4300, but i can scroll through the entire list, in list view, detail view or grid view everything is absolutely responsive, no lag even a tiny little bit.

Now, i will say that grid view, the pictures of the games do not show up instantly, but the games themselves do. So, sure, that could be better.

Personally i only ever use list view as that's the only important view for me, nothing else is useful, everything else is pointless. This is my opinion, though.

So could that be different at 4300? Sure, maybe, but i'd be willing to bet it isn't.

17. red909

red909 Member

GPU:
    Galaxy GTX 970 4 gb
    does the adblock comes with it as well then? :D

18. SSJBillClinton

SSJBillClinton Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 MSI GX Trio
    Well it's been the same across 3 different computers from W7 to W10. I guess it really must be user error since I can game share to my girlfriend's pc to make Steam replicate the exact same behavior.

Dunno why you felt the need to go off on a rant though when your setup doesn't match mine.