Demo: Unreal Engine receives real-time ray tracing support staring March 26

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    BlackZero likes this.
  2. Xtreme1979

Xtreme1979 Guest

The Troll demo is very impressive, even more so when you consider it's running on a single 2080Ti. Cudos to NVIDIA for pushing DXR to the forefront.

Aura89, Aekold and schmidtbag like this.
  3. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I enjoy playing Killing Floor 2 from time to time. Maybe if it gets DXR support, I might consider getting RTX card. Not sure if devs will bother to upgrade from version 3 to 4.

4. Petr V

Petr V Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx over 9000
    So UE support ray tracing hope they do some good games not only demos.

5. Stairmand

Stairmand Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 Aorus Maste
    Terrible FPS, coming to a game engine near you soon.

Tried the Tomb Raider update yesterday, without using DLSS I got pretty much 50% drop in frame rates.

6. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

It's like a fusion of beautiful and mundane.

Ironically, not different from the narrative of the setting.

7. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
  8. Aekold

Aekold Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080
    Great demo! The light reflecting off on the main character is particularly impressive. It shows the potential for some real-world applications of ray tracing.

I hope that's true! That would be awesome. Too lazy to check for myself at the moment. ;)

9. ManuKey

ManuKey Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX 580
    Epic should start think of making a good "not P2W" game, instead of making tech demo's while their cash cow, Fartnite, fills their bank accounts? huhh ?

10. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    And the marketing circus goes on...enticing the unwashed and the unwary...

11. Aekold

Aekold Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080
    I do think implementing real-time ray tracing is a good direction for the industry to be going in, so I don't mind demos that show it's potential. You're right, though, in that it is buggy and takes a huge performance hit for little benefit in its current state.

12. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    I agree but i still hate how a lot of people act like if ray tracing would be new and we should thank anyone for bringing this new tech to us. I'm a middle aged engineer and there was articles about ray tracing in science and gaming magazines back in the days when i was studying (before the internet even was a thing outside of universities). There's nothing new about ray tracing. The main problem always has been real time performance. We are close to a point where performance wont be as much of an issue so it's fine to make updated demos and starting to implement it in engines and apis but we are not there yet. Having to spend a thousand $ to enable RTX to me means it's not ready yet and should still be an afterthought. I hate how lt's used to justify the 100% insane price of the latest GPUs. Specially since for most of them it's not really usable without DLSS and to me DLSS is almost false marketing.

Ray tracing is without any doubt the future. In fact it has been the future since pretty much the 80ies. I was dreaming about it while playing SNES games for god sake. But making it the main marketing selling point of a complete GPUs line is stupid. We are not there yet. We are getting closer but still have some work to do. Both nVidia and AMD should focus on bringing GPUs performance/price in line with CPUs. You can buy a top of the line consumer CPUs (core i7 or ryzen 7) for around 400-500$. A top of the line consumer GPUs now cost over a thousand. This is becoming ridiculous imo. What's the point of ray tracing if you have to spend a thousand to upgrade your GPU? Around 2 years ago you could build a very good complete computer for that price.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    HandR and HonoredShadow like this.
  13. Xtreme1979

Xtreme1979 Guest

14. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Raytracing isn't a new idea but utilizing a denoiser to reduce the required raycount + accelerating the BVH intersect are new ideas and allow it to be somewhat doable in a real time. I agree with the pricing part but I disagree that it's the wrong time for it. The architectural enhancements here are being used in the datacenter + in RT production houses - it just makes sense to pivot it into gaming. Turing itself has a number of other features that have yet to be fully utilized - mesh shaders & variable shading - but either way I think its cool to see the innovation. For years people crying about how there is no innovation going on with GPUs and then Nvidia releases by far the most innovative architecture to date. Again, obviously price is high (so high that after 10 years of buying the latest & greatest I'm skipping this one) but I still appreciate the hardware/tech for what it is.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    SharkyUK and Aura89 like this.
  15. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    The demo looks great.

I am happy to see RT coming to be. It needs time for the hardware and software to utilize it for every day gaming, which will happen.
    The issue is the cost +$1000 for a card that should have better performance in RT. A bit of bad marketing in my opinion.

If the 2080ti was priced at $800, I doubt there would be so much backlash.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    Mesab67 and MonstroMart like this.

16. Dimitrios1983

Dimitrios1983 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580
    I just saw the before and after shots on techspot and no difference and wow horrible fps. I'm happy I didn't jump and buy one of those cards.

17. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    "No difference" lol its comments like these that make me truly believe people either don't have eyes, don't know how to use them or are so stuck behind their own narrative that any difference they do see they will claim till their dying breath they don't see.

SharkyUK likes this.
  18. Atmosphere__

Atmosphere__ Guest

GPU:
    RX480/8G
    @Hilbert Hagedoorn

Lol, my eye just caught a small typo in the title with big implications grin: “Demo: Unreal Engine receives real-time ray tracing support staring March 26

Pretty sure you intended epic is staring DXR support, starting March 26. But its Epic, you never know ;)

19. Dimitrios1983

Dimitrios1983 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580
    IDK look at how mad Nvidia customers are, look at the video's and pics, I'm not the only one man.

Here is another article that proves I'm right.
    https://www.techspot.com/article/1814-sotr-ray-tracing/

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  20. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Did you read it, as that article states ". Depending on the area, the difference is very noticeable"