AMD Radeon GPUs tapped for Google Stadia gamestreaming platform

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Embra and HWgeek like this.
  2. HWgeek

HWgeek Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6200 Turbo Fotce @500/600 8x1p
    Does it look like custom monster APU with Radeon VII 56CU for better yields/price with Zen2 CPU + 16GB HBM2?
    Google not giving info on the CPU but list only AMD as a partner- so maybe because it's unannounced zen 2?

rl66 likes this.
  3. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    That's all well and good, but what is Google going to do about people's general Internet access pipes--which of course will always be the bottleneck for Google's game streaming ideas?--yeah, I'd like to see Google stream a 4k (they even said 8k!) game that isn't just ultra-low-res scaled up--besides that, are they going to compress everything at 100k:1...? Google made a point of criticizing people with low Internet download bandwidth who "take a long time" just to download a game--uh, so what is game streaming going to do except to place an exponentially higher burden on those already slow Internet connections? Game streaming--especially high-res game streaming like Google is talking about--is far and away more a bandwidth hog than simply downloading compressed game installation files that will run locally, I should think obvious. What's the catch, 'cause I know there is one?...;)

4. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    People with 500-1000Mb connections, no data cap, 1 ms latency and are near from Google servers (>100 Km) maybe could enjoy this streaming service.

The rest will "enjoy" big lag, 480/720 up scaled to 1080p/4K gaming...and 1 week use per month (at best) before data cap is reached.

5. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    most premium tvs will be able to upscale a 1080p/50Mbit signal properly, i doubt this is to replace local installs for AAA titles, nor do they claim EVERY game out there.
    sony has it on the tvs for years, makes it easy for grandparents to not have to own a ps4, just sony tv and ps4 controller connected to it.

outside the fact that google is one of the few with proper resources and infrastructure to do it..

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    chispy likes this.
  6. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    It's not that bad, my experience with similar product (shadow ghost) when i was in France was in 1080 60fps minimum with only 300mbps dwn / 300mbps up connection on a TV set with any AAA game.

It has already starting replacing local install... the main issue with Google one (exept that it is Google) it is that the price announced is too expensive and there is already some major company that have catched the customer (Sony, Microsoft, NVidia, Shadow...), sadly i think it will finish like Google Music.

fry178 likes this.
  7. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    You don't need APU or CPU for that exercice... Only GPU.

schmidtbag likes this.
  8. HWgeek

HWgeek Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6200 Turbo Fotce @500/600 8x1p
    Today I see that it's not an APU, but the interesting part is the CPU- Is it AMD made or maybe it can be Xeon if Intel will agree to Google's terms on Pricing? Or maybe AMD sold the the design like they did with China with Hygon?

Edit: just saw this GPU mentioned in LTT forums:
    https://www.amd.com/en/products/professional-graphics/radeon-pro-v340

Can this be the current GPU used in Stadia? it looks smart move regarding maximum density+ it has Two Virtualized Encode Engines to compress independent video streams in H.264 or H.265 formats
    https://i.**********/6qKZ3kJk/V340.jpg

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  9. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    This will not walk unless the are coordinated with ISPs/router makers to implement proper QoS.

10. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    yeah, cause google doesnt have anything to do with internet traffic.
    if someone like sony (or others)
    that are way smaller when it comes to isp use etc, i doubt a major player like google will have problems.
    qos is already implemented for almost all games produced (again by smaller companies than google) so why would this be any different?
    e. g. i don't know any other company that is able to lay their own transatlantic (data) cable, outside telekom/phone companies..

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    how long till they find out the deals a dud? pay less for the hardware, more on power bills.

12. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    Might wanna wake up :rolleyes:
    Not everyone on this planet pays the same amount for power, nor is everyone playing 24/7.
    You know how long it takes to spend 3-400 on power (for gaming alone) vs buying a console?
    E.g. I have enough customers that are using the game streaming features, so the grandkids/kids dont have to take the console with them (holidays/vacation) etc...