New Shadow of the Tomb Raider Patch Available: RTX and DLSS Enabled

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    It might not be as simple as traditional upscaling, but that doesn't really matter when the end result is worse than that, both in regards to visuals and performance.

As many as i please.

2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Raytracing in Metro makes difference because they borked standard rendering. And without DX-R game looks much worse than many which cared to implement GI or other lighting method properly. And fun part is that w/o DX-R there are still many of those "raytraced" shadows, they just have wrong intensity.

Then there were those DX-R screenshot Hilbert posted (Metro) and they clearly shown that w/ DX-R geometry has lower quality to prevent player from expectiong light casting through hole in the wall which is present once DX-R is off.

I did advocate DLSS till it proven that it has worse image quality per fps. In other words, once you compare image quality at same frame rate... DLSS is downgrade.

Dragam1337 likes this.
  3. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yeah, I'm glad that instead of discussing the positive/negative effects and performance of RTX/DLSS in this particular title, we're now discussing previous unrelated ones (but not metro apparently because it doesn't fit the narrative) all because you have an agenda.

Like the fact that the reddit thread has more meaningful discussion on the technical implementation of this than Guru3D is sad. Least when @Fox2232 posts he actually contributes meaningful data and/or points. Coming in here and being like "LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO# CLASS ACTION! - TURN IT OFF HALF FPS!!!1!" is just annoying. All it does is serve exactly what it did - derail the thread into flamebaiting nonsense.

fantaskarsef and Xtreme1979 like this.
  4. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Look, you're welcome to post w/e you want to, i'm not stopping you from doing that. I posted my opinion about the tech being implemented into the game - don't like it? Then just ignore it. You aren't forced to neither read nor reply to it.

5. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    DLSS is a new tech that i like in principle, so i'm willing to give it a chance as afaik it is something that can be tweaked by developers, and will no doubt improve over time.

People who buy expensive cards like the RTX range can no doubt look after themselves.

6. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    For the money and performance drop RTX simply isnt worth it.
    I agree with the comments about DLSS as well.
    If the silicon used for both were put to better use we might be loving the 20xx series cards.
    But they are a no buy and no recommend, especially when cards are still failing.

Dragam1337 likes this.
  7. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Cool story bro, nice to have your unneeded useless opinion, you can move along now and never post again

What you care about and don't care about doesn't mean squat to what others care about and don't care about.

Xtreme1979 likes this.
  8. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Right back at you "bro".

9. slimmy427

slimmy427 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA Hybrid 1080ti
    Dear God....Where the hell did all the shadows go LOL? Man that is some shady misdirection.
    DXR gives people their shadows back after shadows are turned off in game...and all for a less than unnecessary performance loss of way to much!

Dragam1337 likes this.
  10. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA

11. robbo247

robbo247 Guest

GPU:
    5700XT Anniversary
    whats going too be the argument next as April drivers are going too include RTX and Dlss too run on 10 series cards...interesting how this ones going too pan out...

jbscotchman likes this.
  12. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    It doesn't look the performance hit is that high in this game, well not in the way i was led to believe that RTX does.

DLSS look pretty much identical as well, possibly a touch better based on the screenshots in the article. Hard to tell as the scene differs slightly though.

13. Krillers

Krillers Guest

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX oc2060
    Huh... Where did my post with the comparison on youtube go?, Did the amin delete my post why?o_O

14. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    You mean apart from around 10x better performance on RTX series of cards? Give me a minute, I'll try to come up with a better argument for RTX because you clearly need one.

15. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    The performance drop is still high when you consider all RTX is used for is shadows.

Dragam1337 likes this.

16. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    MGPU ( "sli dx12") in DX12 with RTX works! my 2x 2080ti is working 99-100% with dxr @ ultra and no DLSS :D

cowie and fantaskarsef like this.
  17. Primey0

Primey0 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 7900 XT
    Cute. Good luck in court vs Nvidia.

18. bjtag

bjtag Member

GPU:
    1080ti to Titan XP
    With RTX off WHY is there no shadows in the middle of the frame with the kids but in the background?

19. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Yeah it's gonna be fun to watch.

robbo247 and fantaskarsef like this.
  20. Andy Watson

Andy Watson Master Guru

GPU:
    For DLSS I don't see much reduction in image quality from the shots Hilbert kindly did. If I was playing the game I doubt I would notice it even less.

It reminds me of the far distant past when people were moaning about AA quality between Ati and nvidia and there was a difference but, for it to be shown, websites were having to do screenshots and zoom in really close for it to be seen - something you would not notice when playing the game. AA was more important then as well due to lower screen resolutions. I am sure some people who voiced opinions on the matter did not actually play games for the games sake, just liked them as examples of the nvidia v Ati war :).

In relation to comments above about DLSS being so bad there should be a class action, how can this be as DLSS is just using hardware that actually is on the card for other reasons as far as I am aware. If it did not work for that other reason then a class action might be in order. But here nvidia is offering something "for free" ie they allow that hardware to give you another option for image quality, you do not have to take it....