Anyone is saving money for a Matisse build??

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by anticupidon, Mar 16, 2019.

1. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Sounds a bit fanatically silly at this point, without any real benchmarks and real metrics, but I am saving for a new computer for late September.
    I hope that by that time frame we will have Mattise already on shelves and maybe, just maybe Navi.
    Anyway, until then I can buy peripherals agnostic to the main build and computer case and PSU also.
    Just want to upgrade from 4C/4T and this thread came to my mind, for sure I am not the only one.

Have you got your piggy bank ready and with some cash already saved in??

Caesar and Keitosha like this.
  2. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

If you feel 4C/4T is holding you back in the things you do, the new AMD chips appear to be good choices for an upgrade.

Personally, until there's an actual reason to upgrade, like games no longer playing well on 4C/8T, I'll save my cash for the things that are actually important to me.

3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    For gaming only, for the time being I can play along with 4C/4T.
    But I want to go more in the enterprise side, virtualization and such things.
    Proxmox loves more cores and I want to run more VM and also learning a bit in the video edition and content creation.

4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Even in gaming 4c4t cpus are a bottleneck. Most games will pend 100% usage and result in stuttering and framerate drops.

Sound silly but 6c12t is where you should be at.

5. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    4/8 is still great. 7700k still performing better in games than any AMD.

That being said, I'm looking at what comes next. 9900k is tempting but I'll wait for Zen 3700x reviews. I'm pretty sure that the 9900k will be better in games but it might trigger Intel to counter the 3700x which would be interesting.

Geryboy likes this.

6. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Do you get a prize? :rolleyes:

Undying likes this.
  7. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Unless my 2500k is gonna die, I don't see a reason for an upgrade. Maybe if I get 1440p@144hz panel and new GPU, yeah.

8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    How do you save the money?

9. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    You can marinate them, they will last longer.

10. GlennB

GlennB Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 EK
    i guess it's really depending what you seek performance wise. If you want just high framerates a 4C CPU will still do fine, if you want better minimum FPS and a bit more headroom a 6C/12T is the way to go. Thing is what CPU do you have now? I was in the same boat with a 2600K @ 4.5 and it was in need of getting something better for the sake of crappy FPS dips.

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I had a 2500k at 4.8ghz and i cant imagine going back to it from 3930k, difference is night and day. Chip wont die so dont let that be your upgrade point.

You need to have more headroom to breathe in your games and not having a maxed out cpu all the time, it runs and overall experience is much better.

Geryboy likes this.

12. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    [​IMG]

Funny how in Russian 'the bank' ('банк') sounds like [bʌŋk] and 'the can' ('банка') sounds like [bʌŋkʌ], and there is a pun about saving money in banks.

And I can`t imagine going back from 4930k to 3930k.

13. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    4930k and 3930k?

What are you talking about? Its performance is the almost the same. Your ivyE only have slighlty faster ipc same 6c12t and 12mb l3.

14. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    I've too if I want to keep playing my favorite racing-sim, because my current i5-7600K is below the requirements. However I don't need anything exotic and will settle for a 3600X (8c/16t), just to give my system some headroom.

Also if the rumors are true https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/o...ors-spotted-online.425723/page-3#post-5649643 then it's going to be a killer CPU either way you look at it; while also being much more affordable than Intel's i9-9900K.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  15. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    And slightly faster memory frequencies, and slightly better PCIe controller (or at list without bugs - remember the story of x79 PCIe v3 ready and NV cards switching to PCIe v2), and slightly colder. IIRC, I bought 4930k half the price, so it was worthy upgrade.

386SX likes this.
  16. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I have old grudge with AMD chipsets - they work slower and give more troubles with the same hardware (storage and RAM mostly). Tested it for all my years of a programmer working in office (I mean not at home) - so many HW changes went wrong with upgrade to AMD rigs.

17. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    @mbk1969 to some extent, this was true. But lower-end chipsets were a bit dull, and had some quirks. High end chipsets were ok mostly.
    But nowadays AMD have their things in order, and their homework done.

18. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Good. But it is only natural for me to extrapolate my experience: middle tier Intel chipsets are somewhat better the middle tier AMD chipsets (which I witnessed too), top Intel chipsets are somewhat better than top AMD chipsets.

19. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Probably because you were running crappy 1600 MHz or less memory.

A highly overclocked 2600K isn't going to be slower than any later 4C/8T when they are using the same instruction sets for all games, and it certainly isn't going to be the case with AMD processes and their much lower IPC having only just matched Sandy Bridge.

[​IMG]

Also, why exactly would you spend £500-600 just for the sake of having some unneeded head room? Going by that logic, you would would end up upgrading twice as often with little to show for it.

You know what they say about fools and their money.

20. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Not my fault some people can't count.

Prove me wrong then or STFU.

And don't come back with a 7700K clocked at 6 GHZ, because you don't need it in most games unless you're running 2080 TI SLI.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2019
  21. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Gentlemen, this thread is about future upgrades, not bitter arguments about previous platforms and personal views about those.
    C'mon, let's be excellent to each other, this forum is what we make of it.

Keitosha likes this.