Reviews: GeForce GTX 1660 MSI Ventus and Gaming X and Palit Storm X

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    NVIDIA today launches their mainstream GeForce GTX 1660 that sits at roughly 219 USD. Not to confuse with the Ti model, this iteration of the graphics cards has 1408 shader processors and is tied towards 6GB of GDDR5 memory. The GTX series is different from the RTX series in respect that they do not have Tensor or Raytracing cores. make no mistake though, this is Turing architecture based on the 12nm FF TU116 GPU.

The end result is a product that takes on the Radeon RX 580 and 590, and does that quite well. We have prepared three initial reviews for today, two from MSI and one Mini ITX version from Palit.

airbud7, user1, Koniakki and 2 others like this.
  2. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Guest

GPU:
    x
    Thanks! as I suspected. pretty much an RX 590 performance for 220$ at 110W.

not a massive leap but it will sell well because it's facing a 3 years old competition at this point.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    airbud7 likes this.
  3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    590 performance as expected. Not the best but not the worst. Thing is that 580/590 are a two year old hardware.

airbud7 and BReal85 like this.
  4. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Aside from the couple of more Nvidia optimised dx11 titles where it showed remarkable performance against AMD, it's indeed as direct an answer to 590 as one could imagine. Over here in my parts these seem slightly less expensive than 590 (like 20 euros), though, which would naturally attract a whole lot of people.

5. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Hm, not really strong but it is gaming equal or better than furyX/590/980TI.

It loses to 1060 in firestrike. If it doesn't cost less than 220€ then it's a fail.

6. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Guest

GPU:
    x
    FS no longer is a good idication for gaming performance. time spy is a lot more modern and uses modern techniques.

7. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Wrong. It means something bad is hidden.

RTX 2070 and up everything is correct.

RTX 2060 and below results are worse.

Something is way off with h/w and drivers.

8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Nvidia at midrange reminds me of AMD in enthusiast range. The same how Radeon VII is competing with two year old 1080ti this 1660 is competing with two year old 580/590.

As for pricing i wonder if the card will really cost 220$. Im sure it will be atleast 20-30$ on top of it for some decent cooling. Dont forget that 580 cost 180$ with some overclock can be fast as 590 and also having more vram.

9. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Guest

GPU:
    x
    The fact that some look alright doesn't make the test good. look at TS, where the stack is exactly the avg of all gaming tests.

10. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Guest

GPU:
    x
    same for Superposition. the only test that shows inconsistencies is FS

and it makes sense, FS is pretty old at this point(over 6 years old)
    rendering techniques tend to change, just like how now INT operations have become a lot more common in modern games.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019

11. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    In my country cheapest rtx 2060 is 335€ and cheapest gtx 1660ti is 265€. It's 70€ difference. I wish that 1660 non ti would cost 195€, meaning less than 200€, but it ain't gonna happen, eh. :D

fantaskarsef likes this.
  12. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    The 1660ti is targeting the rx590 in sales as it was released at the same MSRP. AMD began to lower the 590s price just before the 1660ti release. The 1660 is targeting the rx580 at similar MSRP price and again AMD reacted by lowering the 580s price. The Nvidia are cards are faster and more efficient than the AMD counterparts they were originally intended to compete with. All this means is that AMD is biting the bullet to stay relevant vs their Nvidia counterparts. For customers this is a win. For AMD, I doubt they are happy having to settle with much reduced margins for their products. Of course, I am sure they are also trying to reduce stocks to make way for Navi (if expected in July?). So the 1660/1660ti's day in the sun may be brief, only a few months before they are eclipsed by Navi. Which then I suspect the same scenario will be reversed price-wise between the Nvidia and Navi products.

airbud7, fantaskarsef and Fox2232 like this.
  13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    It is not bad card if one needs low power consumption for small case with weaker PSU. And targeted screen is 1080p.
    But if heat/space is not and issue (very few people go for small builds), then RX-580 is better choice. On other hand I would not advise anyone to buy RX-580 today as it is close to being replaced. (Unless other option is to have no GPU... which is not an option.)
    Therefore I would not tell anyone to buy GTX 1660 either.

Sad to say: "Wait for Navi." because it has been damn long wait already.

14. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Guest

GPU:
    x
    Sounds about right. by July Nvidia will already sell thousands of GTX turing and can start offering bundles & discounts if Navi shows up to be really competitive. I think 7nm Turing is coming as early as next year since RTX is not taking off.

15. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I think 7nm Turing was always coming as early as next year which is why Nvidia released the Ti model with the rest of the series instead of waiting the typical length of time for Ti.

fantaskarsef and Fox2232 like this.

16. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Guest

GPU:
    x
    Maybe we will never know, but I think the hate that RTX got coupled with the low RTX sales will definitely accelerate the timeline for Nvidia.
    Investors are not remotely pleased about the results lately.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  17. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Issue nVidia has is allocation of 7nm production capacity.

18. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Srly for a second, I was like, "HH did another 3 reviews of 1660 Ti"? The oh, ok. I see it now. :p

Btw Battlefield V really, really, doesn't like the 980Ti... lol

19. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Exactly my thought on this, once AMD releases Navi they might well again have an advantage in the lower price segment, trumping the 1660/TI at it's price, yet performing on par again, using the same power (7nm), and coming with a game bundle. Or a slightly cheaper AMD card, like you said.

airbud7 and alanm like this.
  20. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    And don't forget you get 3 games worth of $180 for the RX590.

alanm, Undying and fantaskarsef like this.