Shortage Intel Processor on the Rise - Price Hike Expected

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    This, and you don't even need 100FPS. The difference between 60 and ~80 is the biggest, imo. And for the eventuality that in some game scenes it dips under 60, you'll have g-sync/freesync to step in. I remember my constant battle trying to maintain a minimum of 60 FPS all the time with v-sync on my 60Hz monitors, and I don't miss it.

Aura89 and fantaskarsef like this.
  2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    qft.

Aura89 and airbud7 like this.
  3. craycray

craycray Member Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Wild speculations everywhere.Every single report I have seen says this is vulnerability on Intel but not on ARM or AMD. How do you prove your point that they are not targeting ARM or AMD?

Your biggest assumption here is that they are targeting Intel, and you are tunnel visioned in it, without any proof.

4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    By executing the same code on an ARM or AMD CPU.... it's not rocket science.
    Actually, to my understanding, he (the one you quoted) was arguing Intel isn't being specifically targeted.

Aura89 likes this.

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Security through obscurity, is a tried and true way to go.

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    mm, people keep claiming ipc this, ipc that, but the only place intel comes out in ipc tests clock for clock is when the application uses AVX, benchmarks limited to SSE2-4 or raw ipc with no optimisations show intel have no actual ipc gain over Ryzen until you actually are multithreading (this is because of ryzens front end not servicing packages efficiently.)

carnivore, Embra and Aura89 like this.
  7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    im not gona invest in 120hz or new monitor in general till this one dies I seen then and used and to "me" the price diffrence isnt worth it to me, I wont deny 75hz is better then 60hz and 120hz is better 75hz, it the price premium which isnt worth it to me.

If i actual broke down and bought such monitor, I would never want to go back 60 hz and i know this, but 60hz as it stand isnt issue to me, just like vsync always on and the "supposed" latency it adds isnt an issue to me cause i use to and adjusted my play style.

That and the fact the majoirty of gaming I do on my PC is done on 55" 4k tv at this point my moniter at this point used mostly for web browsing and other day to day use that dont involved gaming. so getting one them would waste of money cause i dont use my monitor to game on anymore.

If some one want to gift me one those monitor I wont turn it down though:rolleyes:

8. Killian38

Killian38 Guest

GPU:
    Newegg just emailed me and asked if I wanted to sell my 9900k....

airbud7, Undying, Embra and 1 other person like this.
  9. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    :D

I'd laugh so hard... sell it for twice it's launch price.

airbud7 and Embra like this.
  10. liesenberg

liesenberg Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1060 6GB
    Hi guys, I wanna add my view on that brief discussion by saying that refresh rate is indeed really important but the main focus should be smothness and quality gameplay comes with that, atleast for me.

I mainly play on a 1080p 75hz monitor with some games capped at 60 just for the sake of smooth gameplay. I dare to say that a game running on my screen with locked 60 is far better than it using variable frames ranging 60 - 80 especially games that are not fast paced... for fast paced games I always try to use Nvidia Fast-Sync since I cant stand delays nor tearing.

I sure as hell wanna upgrade my old i7 875k since I dont know if I will be able to mantain its 4.0 clock for much longer. But here in Brazil ugrade to current gen its a very expensive endeavor and many people buy second hand parts.

My point is if you have an older hardware but its able to mantain a good framerate with smooth gameplay you are golden.

I have a friends with current gens CPU's Intel and AMD (Ryzen) and man the Ryzen are damn fine smooth, the only caveat is that with Ryzen you need to be aware of the speed and compatibility of RAM, once that is sorted out it its in my view a damn fine processor.

On the topic of security its sad for Intel users that they have so much flaws, i really hope that their next arch can be both fast and secure and my disire is the same for AMD.

Neck to neck competition is we all need to wish for since everyone wins.

Best Regards,
    Will

airbud7 and fantaskarsef like this.

11. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I just want to add, I too do think that the minimum percentile is just as important as the average when looking at benchmarks. Yet, 60 fixed and 60-80 variable, it's a question of your monitor... I do have to admit, a Gsync display (or these days, Freesync for everybody just as much) helps you game with a lot less hassle and still enjoy 63-75 fps. And it does look a lot better if you have an issue and it drops to 58fps at one point. It's an investment to take as well, since even a Freesync display costs a bit more than the same monitor / panel without Freesync.

airbud7 and liesenberg like this.
  12. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Before passing to Athlon on the family HTPC, i have played on windows with my Pentium G3258 (2C/2T) to latest hit without much issue even on game that have minimum spec of 4C...
    There is also financial reason for those company, specialy when you have the Ryzen logo at game start, to put minimum spec at 4C: re-new the Pentium and old I3 park with Ryzen wich have 4c min, despite being a good choise for the consumer, is also a good feedback for this add.

13. liesenberg

liesenberg Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1060 6GB
    I agree it is indeed an investiment that I really want to do since now Nvidia did support Freesync I can consider to get a new painel. My Samsung BX2250 are going strong for almost 10 years now but it is showing its age. (I am running it at 75hz on a 1060 6G).

To bad here in Brazil quality Freesync monitors still very expensive, but it is an investiment that it is in my plans for next year.

Best Regards,
    Will

fantaskarsef likes this.