Display Port GOP Updater Guide: Fix blanking screens and improve monitor compatibility

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Exostenza, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    If you run the application on a notebook solution, the application will fail at the end and inform that "This update is not compatible for notebook graphic solutions." or something like that.

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Check who the response was to.

NVtool will not work; the one I am referring to is different GOP update tool.

3. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    I think I might had a similar issue. Although there are so many variables involved (constant frequent Win10, driver, game/mediaplayer updates + my tinkering with all the settings while trying to figure it all out or better yet fix it, I can never be certain).

Even though I didn't use or even planned to use any DisplayPort devices (neither natively, nor through passive/active adapters) when this update utility popped up, I ran it regardless. I figured it can't hurt (since I know how to back up and restore the factory ROM if needed) and judged it to be better to get this done while I am aware of this potential issue than having to rediscover this whole thing in the future when I randomly happen to come across a DisplayPort device, or more probably: when I resell the card to someone who happen to only have a single monitor with DP>1.3, so running this utility will be much harder for that person...

But then I started having some black screen issues and decided to revert this change. I didn't think these were correlated since the affected display is an HDMI 2.0 device (UHD HDR TV) but I had to start somewhere (by reverting all the latest changes I remembered).
    However, this was such a brief occurrence I completely forgot about all this in a few months (until something reminded my lately).

A bit later I discovered that nvflash can also be used to update the GOP region and I can go to a higher version than this official utility offers, so gave it another try since I was curious if this was indeed the culprit (rather than a Windows update, a loose cable I accidentally touched in the meantime, or whatnot...).
    Everything seemed to be in order for a long while (after the nvflash update), so I completely forgot about this VBIOS thing alltogether.

But then I started having black screen issues yet again. Because it always seemed to happen while switching between SDR and HDR (either HDR10 by madVR or even into DV12 by a game which insisted on using DV12 [the early Anthem demo had no config option for this]) I figured it's an OS or driver problem because I had tons of similar issues in the past --- long before this GOP story --- with SDR/HDR switching, especially with Frostbite games (Andromeda back then) trying to switch to DV12 (DV12 caused problems with 95% certainty, HDR10 scored around 50% in early 2017). So I thought this black screen thing just came back from the past thanks to MS and/or nVidia.

I tried to swap HDMI cables (although only between the ones I already had at home for years: all the same expensive silver plated OFC wired, special snake skin oil and fairy dust plated gold connector munbojumbo), reinstall the drivers, run SFV and DISM checks on the OS, etc (all the usual stuff). I even order some crazy expensive 48Gbps rated HDMI cable, just to be sure (because everybody insisted it could be an HDMI cable issue and I leaned to believe since these are all old cables, made in the HDMI 1.3 era and who knows their actual quality behind the marketing and price tag, they never promised them to be forward compatible with unknown future standards...).
    And then it it me! I already had this problem before after running the GOP update utility. I just forgot about it. So, that's when I started searching and found your post.

I headed over to techpowerup and found a very fresh VBIOS for my card (well, not exactly the same SKU but the same PCB with a different cooler) with the GOP already at the same version this official utility offers.
    I flashed that entire ROM to the card (not just the GOP) and even updated the GOP portion to the latest available (which I found on the win-raid forum).

Zero issues since then. No more black screen during SDR/HDR switches or sleep/resume (although I am yet to test DV12 but HDR10 is fine and that's the important one).

I can't be certain but may be the old MSI VBIOS and the new GOP weren't really compatible. Either that, or both the 07 and 0A GOP versions were somehow incompatible with my specific card (the factory GOP was version 05). This 0F version with the fresh VBIOS seems to work propery so far.

Although I am still puzzled how this might affect the HDMI 2.0 port, unless it's actually wired through an integrated active DisplayPort->HDMI convert on the PCB (similarly to how Intel motherboards do it up to CoffeeLake - which are known to have some issues).
    But even then I though the GOP has zero significance once the OS loaded the VGA driver. So, I assumed this update utility is only relevant if you wish to see the motherboard UEFI welcome/Setup screen on a DP>1.2 display (but irrelevant otherwise).

I guess I won't find out unless I downgrade my VBIOS back to the original factory version and start changing the GOP again (test several versions). But I don't really feel like doing it.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    SatsuiNoHado, tiliarou and Exostenza like this.
  4. holystarlight

holystarlight Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090
    I had issues everytime I restarted/turned on my PC my LG 5k monitor wouldn't be detected or show an image on my RTX 2080 TI FE's, and after flashing a new GOP (that's on win raid) onto my cards the issue has now gone.

5. Exostenza

Exostenza Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 GT
    Thanks so much for this post! I grabbed 3000E and flashed it to my bios then bios to card and so far not a single blank! I just pulled off the VBIOS from my GPU that had the updated GOP to 3000A on it with GPU-Z and then used the program provided to update the GOP on that VBIOS file and then flashed it to my card. So far so good! Will report back if there is any blanking.

6. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    not that I use DP but just trying to follow your post, what is 3000E and were on station-driver is latest GOP?
    Also how do you know a bios has been updated, I do see bios version 84.04.84.00.4C, which is newer than ones released.

PS: that is exampleof a MSI 970 4G gaming

7. Ital

Ital Master Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080 AMP
    3000E is the latest GOP version for Pascal cards.

For 2nd gen Maxwell cards, 20011 is the latest GOP version.

Just read the first post of this thread, everything is explained there including how to update the GOP of your VBIOS if needed.

VBIOS version 84.04.84.00.4C is for the MSI GTX 970 Gaming LE (Lite Edition) which is actually clocked slightly lower than the previous revisions.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  8. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Ah, I thought they were using Nvidia updater tool, I see now, been so long since I read the first post :)

9. Exostenza

Exostenza Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 GT
    All of the information you are looking for is on the first post of the link I have to the updater. He explains your options quite well and also that the GOP is not a VBIOS update per-say... it just updates the UEFI portion with the Display Port code IIRC. It is up to you to choose if you want to flash an newer version of the VBIOS to your card or not; just make sure it matches your card exactly. Again, everything you need to know is explained in that first post as I said in the mini guide. I can't tell you if a newer version of your specific VBIOS would be better or worse. Sometimes they are better and sometimes they are worse and sometimes it depends on what kind of user you are so a little research is worth it, but if you don't want to go too deep into it I guess the latest version of anything is potentially the best.

10. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Yeh, no problem here, I understand now. My bios is already moded but there are 2 newer ones, one official from MSI site and one on Techpowerup DB page.
    I would probably use the newer version, update the DP fix then check all ok and then mod that bios and flash it.

11. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    2080ti top of range

12. patteSatan

patteSatan Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 6700xt
    I just checked this topic, and checked "my" GOP, on an R9 390, and it was a big "step" in GOP, but when I used the program, the vbios-file got smaller, I havent dared flashing it....yet....., and, my biggest question is...do I need this? Does it improve anything, and if so, what?
    I have a sapphire r9 390 nitro w. backplate.
    Just curious, as I didnt find any info on what it actually does, except changing something in the uefi of the card?
    I just read up a couple of posts, does this really change anything in regard of actual DP things, or does it just change a number that I have no use for.

13. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    So I ended up doing this along with a BIOS update on my 1080Ti FTW3, flash went fine after I figured out I needed to use nvflash64 whereas the linked guide just uses nvflash. Yeah, I was super tired and shouldn't have been fiddling with flashing, but maybe mention that in the OP for others.

I figured I would update both since I been having blanking and black screens for 3-5 seconds in all kinds of games since driver version 416 and up. It is REALLY annoying when you are in the middle of a corner with 3 other cars in Forza 7 and it blacks out for 3+ seconds! It does not crash, I just have to pause ASAP and cross my fingers. Also happening in Civ VI, Witcher 3, GTAV, Trials Rising and Diablo 3. I'll report back in a while to say whether they are gone or not. FYI I'm staying on the same driver and settings to see if this GOP/BIOS updating fixed stuff or not.

14. moheban79

moheban79 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6970 - 2GB Trifire
    Hi,

I have a couple questions regarding the process of upgrading the GOP to provide displayport support on a Maxwell video card specifically the EVGA 980 Ti KPE. Basically I once used Gop update tool to upgrade the GOP from 2000A to 20011. Can't remember if it was before I carried mods using MBT to alter fan profile or not however the video card works with this rom no problem but I bought a new MSI monitor MPG27CQ and have had nothing but trouble with sync black screen failures at boot and even had one of my videocards die on me. Had SLI and using second card now.

So was wondering do I need to run the nvidia displayport fix update tool on 20011 or is that already baked in?

Since I'm having issues syncing at post or booting up I can assume its either not working or not applied correctly or if at all?

Fwiw using an older displayport Dell monitor works without issues so its obviously an issue with the newer monitor.

Also later I made some mods using MBT changing the boost frequencies but that rom was based on stock firmware based on 2000A. Flashing that onto the card will over write all the gop dp fixes? I would assume thats correct such that I would have to start over and use a patched firmware as a working base copy?

Lastly where does this newer dp fix come from? The newer 20011 GOP or from the nvidia patch tool?

So anyhow I'm back on my original 20011 Gopup'd rom with only fan profiles altered. Now that I think back I think I placed 20011 before those fan mods were put in. Pitty I forgot about it when I modded the boost frequencies though with the MPG27CQ monitor didn't matter much since 20011 has issues as well.

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  15. patteSatan

patteSatan Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 6700xt
    As to what I have been able to find, you "might" have to have a stock rom first, and upgrade GOP, then you can reflash whatever modded bios you use.

16. moheban79

moheban79 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6970 - 2GB Trifire
    Wish Agent-A01 would comment..

Thanks

17. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    According to the information available here, the official tool updates Maxwell to *11 and Pascal to *07, so it's useless (impossible, actually, it will refuse to run) if you have matching or higher version on your card's ROM.

Use the utilities posted earlier in this topic to confirm if it's applied or not. (If the official utility refuses to run or the unofficial one confirms a high enough version number, then it was applied.)
    Although..., a new version might actually produce worse results in some cases. (We do seem to have some indication of that happening for a few people, if you read back in this topic.)

Could be a difference between the DisplayPort versions. But could still be an issue with the monitor itself (or a loos/faulty cable, etc).

What do you expect to happen when you make an image of the whole ROM (as is) into a file and later write that whole image file (either modified or unaltered) back to the ROM (overwriting it as a whole, from bit to bit, first to last)?
    No offense but I think you should be able to work this problem out on your own before even thinking about modding your VBIOS.

However, you can always update the GOP in the ROM if you accidentally downgraded it. Just use one of the available utilities.
    You can even update the GOP in your customized image file with the unofficial utility (so you can work on it further without having to repeat the GOP update over and over after flashing it or restart the customization from a new image file).

They are saved to image files (by people like us, end users) from fresh cards coming out of factory with fresh VBIOS (or sometimes saved from old cards after running some custom update utilities provided by manufacturers which do full or partial updates on the ROM, similar to the nVidia utility but specific to certain cards from certain manufacturers).

Did you ever consider the problems might be caused by the custom mods?
    But my guess is you downgraded your GOP by using an old image file for your customization. Try to update the GOP in your custom image file, flash it again, see what happens...

18. moheban79

moheban79 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6970 - 2GB Trifire
    I think I experienced that once couple years ago. The tool refused to run because I had my roms already updated to 20011.

I'll try that out later but bet it will fail as like I said already updated to 20011 but thats interesting to note it may prove worse. At least I have a multibios 3 way switch on my card so i can test 2000A to 20011 and see the difference.

Well I placed that newer MPG27CQ MSI Monitor onto another machine hosting a bran new MSI 2080 MSI video card and the monitor did not exhibit that behavior. I also had tested another bran new Accell high quality cable prior when the MPG27CQ was hooked up to the 980 Ti and had the same sync issues.

I know that was a stupid question. Obviously 20011 gop update had those 'fixes' in there but considering what I was going through I had to ask. Anyhow your saying that its possible to update the gop in my customized rom mod without having to repeat the process over? I thought you had to do your gop update on a virgin rom and start your mod over?

I considered that my mod might have been the source of the problem but I read a dozen articles and was very careful creating my mod. Not sure why one of the cards went bad on me. Was it because of my firmware mod and perhaps incorrect power field options, was it because once distilled water got all over the card, bad over clock, whose to say...

I think however since I have a second card that I modded and is still working short of it not syncing to the MSI monitor which I recently acquired I think its a gop fault. EVGA is sending me an RMA card in the mail friday and I'm going to put that in another spare machine with the MSI monitor and investigate the cause further. My hunch is that the MSI monitor is so new that the card isn't compatible with it.

For now I'm running a stable copy of one my earlier roms updated to 20011. It never gave me problems before despite the fan profile mods. Going to replace it to stock however keeping my overclock rom on side B of my bios switch so I can go back and forth easy.

Thanks for your input though..

Much appreciate the help and reply.

Thank you

19. Exostenza

Exostenza Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 GT
    This will make your GPU compatible with DP 1.3/1.4 with the most up to date software for your card which ensures optimal operation with any monitor using a DP port. If you are a gamer and have a monitor that does 120hz+ and are using DP you should (In my opinion) have the latest update of the software. For me, I noticed much less blanking and all my games seem more fluid and more responsive (I have a monitor that supports DP 1.4 so it could be improvements with that) with the same frame rate; could be placebo but I definitely notice it.

I did link to the latest version of nvflash so that people would get the 64 bit version. I took your advice and updated the OP to make it explicit so even tired people have a lower likelihood of making mistakes. I am sure someone will be thankful for that in the future. :)

1 No need for the nvidia update tool as this does it and has newer versions of the GOP. 2 Can't answer question as you'll just have to try and see if it helps, sorry. 3 I explicitly said read the first post linked where you download the program and it will answer your questions. You can't use a pre-modded bios for Maxwell so you have to get a fresh VBIOS, update it, then do your mods which is all explained in the post. Please read and follow my instructions before asking next time. 4 I don't know to be honest but I know they are official. You could google it or ask the maintainer on the win raid forum and let us know. ;)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  20. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    @moheban79

You may have already gotten an answer but im my phone and have no time to read through all the responses atm.

GOP is stored in the bios; whenever you flash a different file it will have an older GOP version unless it had already been updated.

I suggest downloading the lastest bios version for your card and manually updating the GOP of the bios file. Flash the bios on the card(s) and make sure it’s running factory clock speeds/voltages and no programs in the background are running.

I highly suggest downloading the gop tool made by a programmer in this thread https://www.win-raid.com/t892f16-AMD-and-Nvidia-GOP-update-No-requests-DIY.html

This tool will have the latest gop updates; nvidia tool does not