Shortage Intel Processor on the Rise - Price Hike Expected

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    This is why we need more competition in the CPU and GPU market, it would be great to have 4 or more major players in the market rather than 2.
    I take it VIA will provide any serious competition.

2. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Intel should just ditch 10nm and focus on 7nm UV.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  3. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 12gb
    Bingo , this is exactly the same situation im in too .

4. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    Only regret for buying a 2700x is that the 3000 series are close to release,but i had no choice. But will probably upgrade to one if it's what the rumors say. Would have went for a 9900k instead if it wasn't 200 euros more than a 2700x.

5. reix2x

reix2x Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 4870 1GB
    This is not so easy to understand for some of us, i have had trouble understanding why would anyone wanting anything but a threadripper, that way of thinking was non sence, my workflow is doing architectural communication, and i use CPU ray tracing, so for me TR is the best way to go, but lately i could see that TR is just an stupid buy for most of the people out there who need an amd64 cpu, lately i found myself advicing an I3 8100 for a cheap gaming machine to a friend (he wanted to buy it local and the offer was not that wide), and i feel good about being a little more objective, as an amd fanboy (when you consider buying a radeon vii instead of a 2080, just because Nvidia is evil, you know you are a fanboy) that was unexpected even for me haha

6. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Guest

GPU:
    x
    i3 8100? that's a no buy....
    some games can't run well on quad cores anymore and it's only going to get worse. the 8100 at 120$ makes no sense. you have the 2400G with much better graphics and 8 threads or a 2600 which has better boost and comes with an actual cooler.

7. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    This is good news for Intel. It is also good news for AMD. Really, the only people who lose out are prospective Intel customers, who will now have to pay more for their CPU. Sucks to be them :p

8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Throughout most of Intel's history, they never really had an issue eventually selling out most of their stock. That being said, I'd consider this shortage bad news for them, since people are jumping ship. The last thing Intel needs is more people realizing AMD can provide a perfectly satisfactory experience for a lower price. Most people don't give a crap what the CPU is (most people don't even know what exactly a CPU is) they just want something that works as expected and they don't want to pay any more than necessary. The majority of Intel's models with a shortage and price hike are the ones catering exactly to this market.

carnivore and airbud7 like this.
  9. McFly121

McFly121 Member

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 4gb
    In Croatia AMD have always been better choise and better buy since k6 1998 procesor and foward.Intel +ram is just too expensive for us.Remember the RAMBUS or Triple chanel memory

10. butjer1010

butjer1010 Active Member

GPU:
    RX6900XT Toxic EE
    So You're using Computer only for gaming? Please explain me, in everyday usage, where does intel have better performance per euro than AMD? I'm just curious...... we are talking about performance per euro rating still????

11. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    Name one.

edit: why does AMD now include game mode for threadrippers as an option that disables threads if having more threads/cores is THE way to go?

In gaming. In everyday use other than gaming, FX6xxx is good enough so explain it to me, why do I need Ryzen (or new intel) to do browsing and watching netflix or whatever the hell is "your" definition of "everyday use" ?

12. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I suppose so. The shortage isn't entirely positive since it means they could be selling a lot more if they had the capacity, and giving up market share to AMD will have negative long-term repercussions.

Frankly, I'm a little surprised that they allowed it to get to this level. They seem to have bet their company on 10nm and didn't have much of a fallback plan, and either refused or were unable to adjust in time. In a way, it makes sense - they need 10nm to remain competitive - but they should have at least had some contingency plans in case of delays (of course they're bringing additional capacity online, but it's a bit late).

I'm guessing this is due to hubris. They overestimated their abilities and refused to accept the reality until it was too late. Intel really need to keep their ego in check - overestimating their abilities (and underestimate the competition) might end badly for them.

Isn't FX a power hog? For everyday use, it would be ideal to have a CPU with high efficiency and low TDP - keeps the noise, heat and power costs down.

13. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    If you play Cinebench all day long, Ryzen is the best choice for you :)

butjer1010 and airbud7 like this.
  14. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    and mostly unaviable if you are not in france, germany, NL or UK... you can't imagine how bad AMD is distributed outside those country (near one month to get my Athlon GE for my HTPC).

15. butjer1010

butjer1010 Active Member

GPU:
    RX6900XT Toxic EE
    It's hard to find MBO for FX6xxx with m.2 slot, so You can wipe Your, You know what, with that theory. If you are awake for last couple of years, you are aware that there's m.2 ssds, and your computer works a lot faster? In everyday use i meant everything that adults do with computer, not my 12 year old son who plays fortnite all the time. I work in photoshop, corel, adobe premiere,browse internet, watch movies,....... i don't know if this is power user or someone who do what most of the people do on their computers! So, i need Ryzen or new Intel, it spares my precious time.

16. butjer1010

butjer1010 Active Member

GPU:
    RX6900XT Toxic EE
    :) I just wanted to show performance per euro ratio.....it's same with other multithreaded apps, i just didn't want to put all graphs here, so i put cinebench.

17. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    i agree with you about this point but not on your argumentation, you chose your CPU on what you will to do with it and if the price is good on your own expectation.

Ex: Athlon GE have a tdp of 35w and a nice graphic part, i get it for my HTPC for those 2 reasons, but for working i have a twin Xeon, and i think i will get a more modern one when it will be the time to change, of course it is more expensive than Epyc or TR, but if you have the service from Intel that is missing (a lot) on AMD counterpart.
    For home or gaming you can get Ryzen or Intel... of course AMD fan and Intel fan have all the arguments for their champion... but to have seen both working: it's the same and you won't see much differences.

butjer1010 likes this.
  18. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I actually completely forgot to make that point myself lol.
    lol so, in response to your paragraph beginning with "Frankly", I was going to say "I blame hubris". Then I read your next paragraph.
    It is, but it's not as terrible as people make it out to be for everyday tasks or gaming. Beyond that though, well, I'll just put it this way: I'm using an overclocked 6300 for my BOINC rig to help keep my bedroom warm.

M.2 for stuff like gaming is overrated. But, a lack of M.2 slots doesn't prevent you from using a M.2 drive. There are PCIe to M.2 adapters.
    For what you described, yeah, getting something like a Ryzen or current-gen Intel makes sense. But gx-x was kinda making a point about his own needs.

19. butjer1010

butjer1010 Active Member

GPU:
    RX6900XT Toxic EE
    I think they are gambling, just to raise the price, which they had to lower when Ryzen showed up. They can do that, because they have a lot more cash than AMD, and they don't like prices now. They want more....as always....
    AMD maybe can take 1-2 % of their market, but they will earn more, something like Apple.

20. craycray

craycray Member Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Wait what? Did I miss the part where all of the researches were conducted equally on ARM, AMD and Intel, but Intel was found vulnerable. Do you know how big of a market share ARM has? Who is being naive, I leave that upto you.