MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Spotted - Listed with 6GB GDDR5

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    As expected, and it was only a matter of time before some sort of leak would occur on this product series. It's now obvious that the soon to be released GeForce GTX 1660 (read it well, the non-Ti mod...

MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Spotted - Listed with 6GB GDDR5

warlord likes this.
  2. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Guest

GPU:
    x
    If AMD doesn't show anything Navi related in GDC, I might just grab one.....
    sad times.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    warlord likes this.
  3. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    If those specs are accurate, Nvidia will obliterate RX series. AMD is gonna shut down until Navi release. This 1660 will trample RX 590 at a better price and RX 580 will be a huge 8gb joke.

4. FrostNixon

FrostNixon Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    If the 1660 tramples the 590 then it would be at 1660ti levels, which doesn't make much sense. From what I see it's going to perform within margin of error with the 580 and cost a bit more.
    Not really excited to be honest.

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Navi will outperform this cards by a large. 1660 cards is just a way for nvidia to compete at midrange until then.

warlord likes this.
  6. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Guest

GPU:
    x
    Leaks talk about 10% less CUDA cores compared to the TI, the 1660TI is 20% faster on avg than the 590. so it sounds like the 1660 would be very close to a 590 in terms of performance
    I would dare to guess that it's going to be slightly faster for newer games that can utilize the dedicated INT/FP16 instructions.
    while ofc being half the TDP of the 590.

airbud7 and warlord like this.
  7. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    The question is when. AMD sales are declining month by month, day by day.

8. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    It will be faster even by a tiny margin. It will be cheaper and it will consume a third of its electricity plus the half temperature. It will be destroyed.

9. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Guest

GPU:
    x
    Exactly. Navi will most likely be a better value, I'm pretty confident about that.

the issue is timing, I think AMD is going to use all their 7nm supply for Ryzen, Ryzen comes first and it should come first. it will make 5 times the money Navi will.
    if we see Navi by the end of the year for a full launch(not announcement or soft launch) I think it's going to be too close to Nvidia 7nm parts.
    Nvidia is not doing great with Turing(what a surprise) they likely to push 7nm parts quicker than planned.

10. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Guest

GPU:
    x
    Again GDC will tell us the deal, if AMD focuses mostly about Ryzen and Zen 2 like they did in CES(not even mentioning Navi!!!)
    I think Navi is going to get postponed to let AMD focus on Ryzen 3000 completely for the next few weeks/months.

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    June, July idk. We will probably hear more and more rummors as a time goes on. If you dont have any gpu at all then this 1660's are worth considering but for Polaris and Pascal users i would skip this and wait to see what Navi can do.

12. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Guest

GPU:
    x
    Here's the thing, I saw 5 leaks of Zen 2, including details like clocks, core counts and pricing. some retailers even had some parts for limited time listed on their sites.

But I haven't seen a single recent Navi leak....

13. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Here we go again with 1660Ti 3GB GDDR5, 1660Ti 5GB GDDR5, 1660Ti 6GB GDDR5X etc. :p

14. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    So you talk about a 2 year card as a huge joke. :D Which gives 2 games worth of $120 while you get 0, i mean ZERO for the 1660. :D Think it over twice.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    warlord likes this.
  15. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    I am not a peasant regarding gaming. I prefer buying full game versions discounted. Standard normal versions are for the noobs. To my book if a game is not goty, premium, deluxe, gold, platinum, ultimate, etc, is not worth it. So those free games are like horseshit for the poor. Sorry pal. I do not care paying for less. Unless the extras are only for multi-player content. Then I can accept the naked editions.

16. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    Peasant, noobs LOL. So you generalize from your habits, nice try, but a failed one. As you should be aware, most people buy normal editions, not GOTY, Premium and Deluxe ones.

What do you mean by "not care paying for less"?

Plus:

So you say 1660 will be around 37-38 Celsius and consume 70W? You are definitely lying.

That's another massive lie. RX570 is by far the best performer in terms of price/performance ratio. So your supposed obliteration will be a failure.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I don't see a reason to hold out for Navi. We have no solid launch window for it. Hell, we actually have nothing but rumors. We made it through CES without even a whisper about Navi. At this point, I have as much faith in Navi being launched this year, as I have in Intel bringing a competitive consumer graphics card to market. Considering Intel's last attempt at a dedicated graphics card turned into a dedicated co-processor card, I have no faith there..... Navi, at this point, is little more than vaporware...

Problem is, RX570 is old now and most people that were interested in it have already bought one.

airbud7 likes this.
  18. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    while I wholeheartedly agree, if the price drops to $80/$90 bucks for a 570...that's a steal...

got to love competition.

19. butjer1010

butjer1010 Active Member

GPU:
    RX6900XT Toxic EE
    NVIDIA Shares Financial Results for Fourth Quarter - Down 24 percent

20. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    So you what kiddo? Not buying gpus is not the same as your competitor's sales.

Nvidia has larger market share than amd regardless the lesser sales and the gap is bigger now than before. Get your facts right.