[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 RS5 - BUILD 17763.107 - RTM

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Extraordinary, Sep 20, 2018.

1. devastator

devastator Master Guru

GPU:
    rx7900xt sapphire
    ok ty allready try the troubleshoot didnt work will try delete next

2. devastator

devastator Master Guru

GPU:
    rx7900xt sapphire
    none of it worked need insider preview 18351 download cant find a link anywere to install manually

3. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Ok now it shows it for me after I manually added those 2 lines in registry

let me test 3dmark physics test

edit: woot 16K post lol :D

EDIT2: seems ok now, physics score is in line before spectre patch, yaay!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  4. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Did you read down a bit on that page, it says if you want to add SSBD you need to add values in the tow fields.
    https://techcommunity.microsoft.com...riant-2-with-Retpoline-on-Windows/ba-p/295618
    cut/paste
    Note: The above registry configurations are for customers running with default mitigation settings. In particular, for Server SKUs, these settings will enable Spectre variant 2 mitigations (which are enabled by default on Client SKUs). If it's desirable to enable additional security mitigations on top of Retpoline, then the feature settings values for those features need to be bitwise OR'd into FeatureSettingsOverride and FeatureSettingsOverrideMask.

Example: Feature settings values for enabling SSBD (speculative store bypass) system wide:
    FeatureSettingsOverride = 0x8 and FeatureSettingsOverrideMask = 0
    To add Retpoline, feature settings value for Retpoline (0x400) should be bitwise OR'd:
    FeatureSettingsOverride = 0x408 and FeatureSettings OverrideMask = 0x400

5. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Yep and I had applied those entries days before I applied the reptoline entries. After the reptoline registry entries were applied, SSBD system wide was disabled again. I've left it alone now.

6. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Ok, just checking as I glanced over those on the first read, I still have everything disabled with Inspectre so this doesn't help, won't work if disabled.
    I will probably leave it as is till I build a new system.

7. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

8. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
  9. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

No, never really considered it.

Of course, Spectre has had a microcode update.

Still, looking at older CPU scores in the same database, it's about the same now.

10. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    I never tried UserBenchmark but the main thing I noticed was I/O performance hit with Meltdown/Spectre, maybe I will try to reenable and retest.
    I have tried like CB15 and it was too small to tell difference.

Edit: Ok, had some free time, I ran 3 tests, one with Inspectree disabled spectre/meltdown, one with enabled and one with Retpoline enabled (reg Dword 400).
    With Userbenchmark ran each 3 times, the avg was about the same for all tests, would vary 1-2% each run.
    So I run CB20, I got repeatable
    1) Spectre/meltdown disabled 1387
    2) Spectre/meltdown enabled 1390
    3)Retpoline enabled 1393-98
    So I got best with Retpoline enabled.

Edit: Above test are not valid as with each reboot with same setting I got different results after more in depth testing.

Crystaldiskmark still shows less on Q32 ramdomread/write but Q32 is not normal usage for desktop, So I will leave it an see how games run, if no negitive I will leave it on.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    BlackZero likes this.

11. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
  12. Nastya

Nastya Member Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I saw your disabled score was lower than with enabled, that should not be possible at all.
    If you really want to test without Spectre/Meltdown, you will have to test using an older CPU microcode because Windows will still load newer, patched microcode even with Spectre/Meltdown disabled in the registry.
    That way your score should be way above what you were getting with it disabled.

13. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    You are right and I should of updated that post above as I found more info as I reran the tests a second time.
    I thought CB20 was good repeatable test cause each run in a session was the same, or very close.
    I rebooted with each change, waited a min or so for the system to settle down, but then w/o changing anything rebooted reran test and got random results with each reboot/test. So CPU wises it is very hard to test as its pretty small amount.

But on I/O it is about 20% hit in Q32 4k random.

14. KayserKay

KayserKay Member

GPU:
    Palit Super JS GTX 1070
    THE Problem is this: WindowsInternal.ComposableShell.Experiences.TextInput.InputApp

which runs in the background randomly if a game is not running in proper exclusive fullscreen mode
    (some UE4 engine games and Unity games)

This shitty app runs on your GPU and makes it to go full on boost clock. With my 1070 it goes to 2037mhz if it runs in the background causes the GPU to heat up over 60 degrees. If I end the app task clocks will return to normal 1038mhz and temps go back to 50-51 degrees if i play a game (some UE4 and Unity games in 60 fps fullscreen or windowed mode with Vsync).

All background apps are disabled. What the hell triggers this text input app?

15. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4489899

March 12, 2019—KB4489899 (OS Build 17763.379)

mbk1969 and Undying like this.

16. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB

• Addresses an issue that may degrade graphics and mouse performance with desktop gaming when playing certain games, such as Destiny 2, after installing KB4482887.

Time to update.

Strange Times and LocoDiceGR like this.
  17. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    This is important though.

Most everyone would have Audio Device (Realtek, Creative, Asus and many others.) and then GPU Audio Device for example. :)
    (That's NVIDIA and AMD's HDMI audio driver.)

Should be able to just configure them again or switch the preferred audio device or default in these programs but still a important known problem for this though I already installed it. Should be fairly easy to get around if it becomes a problem in some programs. (Unlike overall degraded input and graphical performance.)

18. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Yeah that issue could impact a case like using the non-default audio in something like kodi or a game. I guess it will be fixed in the March 26 optional CU.

Windows stopped forgetting my folder views after I increased the size of the icon cache lol. I hope I didn't jinx it :p

Edit: just a follow up, it did fix it for me. Here's the tweak for anyone who needs it. https://winaero.com/blog/change-icon-cache-size-windows-10/

I set mine to 2048, over the default of 512. Never had to experience this in past, idk if it's a bug or by design but at least it is fixed now.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  19. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    There's a new CU available on release preview, along with a SSU. 17763.402. No release notes as usual for RP. I'd imagine the log is very similar to the optional updates recently released + the sound fix. They haven't fixed explorer forgetting how to count in folder properties if there are more than 100k files (such as c:\windows itself) lol.

http://download.windowsupdate.com/d..._5dde57087f7459eca8dc0dc1c22f325ccd68de98.cab

http://download.windowsupdate.com/d..._991329dc8caa1ea09ae9ddf58d003261bd57a4e8.cab

CMD: DISM.exe /Online /Add-Package /PackagePath: "Pathofthecabfile"

JonasBeckman likes this.
  20. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah I got that yesterday morning I think it was and was like WUT? and then I read up on it being in the preview ring.

New Servicing Stack Update as part of it too so it took a while to do it's thing. Guessing a early contender for April's cumulative update or the late March one if they have a public cumulative next week just as the month ends if it's some important security fix or enhancement, SSU (The servicing stack.) might help with migrating to 1901 builds too ("servicing" the OS and all that.) when that lands in mid April or late April depending on which of the current builds ends up being the RTM one.
    (Guessing there's at least one more coming out maybe first week of April but well we shall see.)

EDIT: There should be a new Spectre mitigating update too for newer CPU's, it'll hit Windows Update when it's valid for your own system which for a still fighting but aged CPU like my own then yeah these are infrequent unless manually installed at which point it's there but it doesn't really do a whole lot other than require a system restart. :p

And for overall maintenance it looks like the VC 2019 runtimes are out too overwriting the 2017 runtimes (Which overwrote the 2015 ones.) shame these can't be all inclusive and just cover 2005 - 2019 but packed installers at least easy maintaining these.

.NET has a preview update out as well but should be finalized for 1901 and included in that and I think that's all. :)

EDIT: As for bugs well OCD and wanting explorer.exe to maintain folder positions not defaulting to some set corner in the monitor area but beyond that Windows 10 is kinda ticking on.
    (It's a bit like a bomb so you never really know what's going to happen. :D Ha ha. )
    (Well truthfully the RS4 and RS5 builds have kinda blown a bit and taken forever to get things fixed and now even more is breaking here with the upcoming build.)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    lucidus likes this.