Scanline sync X*2 problem

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by frimincoffee, Mar 8, 2019.

1. frimincoffee

frimincoffee Guest

GPU:
    GTX1060 6GB
    Hey all.
    When I'm using 'default' Scanline sync everything was fine and smooth.
    But when I switched to x*2, scanline came nowhere and my monitor became tearing hell.
    It usually appeared middle or 1/3rd of my screen.
    In that moment my gpu usage was 30%~70% and had 0.2ms frametime difference.
    What should I have to do in this case? I have 1440p 60hz monitor, tested game is Overwatch, and the value is 1410.
    Thank you.

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

You're absolutely _supposed_ to see tearline if you sync framerate twice per refresh.

3. frimincoffee

frimincoffee Guest

GPU:
    GTX1060 6GB
    Then there's no need to use that if I want to remove tearing, right?

4. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    It might be useful with fast sync (nvidia) or enhanced sync (amd). Haven't tried it, but it might reduce stutter due to the more accurate frame capping.

Or it might not.

Anyway, when using scanline sync on it's own, then you can't use x*2 if your goal is to eliminate tearing. Normally, when you cap your FPS to double the refresh rate, you get two tearlines that will jump around on the screen at some point. Scanline sync's x*2 mode is there to either reduce that to one fixed position tearline, or still have two tearlines but at a fixed position. But you cannot have no tearlines (unless you run a game that can output like 1000FPS or more, where you'd put both tearlines near each other and at the bottom of the screen, but I assume that's not the case here.)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019