RTSS blocked after latest Win 10 update 7/3/19

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by lowdog, Mar 7, 2019.

1. lowdog

lowdog Guest

GPU:
    2 x 6990 quad cfx
    [​IMG] RTSS is being blocked by UAC after yesterdays Win 10 update.

How the hell do you post images in this forum???

[​IMG]

2. Tenerezza

Tenerezza Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    As i posted in another thread the root certificate that was used to sign the setup/program was revoked.

[​IMG]

Installing a older version like 7.2.0 or older will solve it for now until a new build is released.

3. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

There won't be new build, I have no other certificate and this one still works and valid.

4. lowdog

lowdog Guest

GPU:
    2 x 6990 quad cfx
    Can confirm RTSS v 7.20 works where as 7.21 is blocked by UAC after latest Win 10 update.

5. chinobino

chinobino Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3060Ti Gaming X
    Can someone post the Windows update related KB? I'd like to block it or remove it.

[Edit] Is it KB4492978? It just installed.

6. pzjack1130

pzjack1130 New Member

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    I have the same issue. Where can I find the v7.2.0 download?

7. Unwinder

Enough of that. Next RTSS won’t be digitally signed at all. So those who seem to be mad and stupid just like me and see the signature working on our systems will lose it too. No more BatleEye and EAC support for anyone. Thanks to vocal minority.

8. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    KB4492978 should be the insider update for 17763.349 with the next monthly cumulative update for Windows 10 coming out next week, guess it matters little with this new version of MSI Afterburner and Rivatuner Statistics Server having just been released and it'll probably be a while before a new version but until this can be tested and confirmed on the newest non-insider update it seems a bit early to worry for whatever Microsoft is doing.
    (Second Tuesday every month and all that for OS updates.)

EDIT: In effect in five days this should all be clear.
    But the 19H1 and 20H1 also on insider builds seem to have the same issue I wonder if Microsoft isn't revoking these certificates a bit early.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  9. Unwinder

10. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    AB RTSS OSD toggle hotkey doesn't work with AB 4.60 / RTSS 7.2.1 release - but does work with ^^^ this version of RTSS. I don't get any UAC prompts though, only the hotkey doesn't work. 17763.348 non-insider release channel here.

11. Unwinder

That's exactly the same binary, it cannot function differently.

12. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Yeah, I figured out the reason, has nothing to do with this thread. For some reason AB/RTSS hotkeys stop working if you later CPU affinity via Task Manager for the currently running game.

BkBlindside likes this.
  13. Unwinder

Hotkeys are polled in separate DirectInput thread, probably doing so you leave it no time for idle processing.

14. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I think it's somehow related to invoking Task Manager through Ctrl-Alt-Del as both games I'm seeing this in (Far Cry Primal Uplay version and NFS Hot Pursuit 2010 Origin version) don't allow you to Alt-Tab or Win-D. The hotkeys stop working after you restore the game while the OSD still works fine - and it looks like hotkeys are beginning to work again after some timeout? Anyway, not a big issue and isn't related to the thread, sorry for OT.

BkBlindside likes this.
  15. lowdog

lowdog Guest

GPU:
    2 x 6990 quad cfx
    @Unwinder

RTSS version 7.2.1 you linked works fine now, no error on my system. Thank you Sir. All systems are different I suppose. I know you work extremely hard on Afterburner and RTSS :) and I know soooooo many people are extremely appreciative of you ongoing efforts in this field (I am one of them and it's the best software around for what it does)……………….I sympathise with the headaches you must go through from time to time with people such as myself being frustrated when we have issues with things not working...….but more often than not it's just that we are simple human beings and get despondent when one of our favourite pieces of software has a glitch, any comments of "there is a problem" are not directed at you personally but more a response of our concern that we can't use the program as it's meant to be used.

Thanks again for all your ongoing efforts to make Afterburner and RTSS what they are today....GREAT!

Without your efforts NONE of this would be here and that says A LOT!

Cheers.

Andy_K likes this.

16. Unwinder

We decided to rename it to 7.2.2 to make it visible to update servers.

17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
  18. Unwinder

StarCom stopped issuing new certificates since 1st Jan 2018, so their last issued certificate had to stop working two years later, in 2020. Mine had to be alive till September 2019.
    Instead of that, root StarCom CA certificates are getting randomly revoked right now on some selected systems, almost one year before it was actually supposed to reach EOL. No ideas what is going on and why.

BkBlindside likes this.
  19. Unwinder

Pricing is important but not the primary annoyance. I’ve already paid for new 1-year Comodo certificate for RTSS, but the process of issuing it is not fast and will take a few days (probably weeks). The main problem is that due to restricted safety requirements from Microsoft side many major certificate authorities (e.g.GlobalSign) simply stopped issuing new certificates to individuals now. So you either need to register yourself as an organization or choose just one of remaining CAs still issuing it to individuals. So your CA choice is really limited, and the process of validating you as individual takes enough of paper work and time. For StarCom it took me just 24 hours in the past.

20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    It's even worse if you want an EV cert, some vendors want you to use a usb token provided by them, so even once they've confirmed your ID, you have to wait for that to arrive in the post: I've only publicly heard of DigiCert doing this, but I'm sure there are others that do it too.

The actions of Symantec's CA and a few Cert+Sharks have as usual, ruined it for everyone.