Cinebench R20 download taken offline after legal threat from Maxon

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 7, 2019.

1. CoMmAnDrX2

CoMmAnDrX2 Guest

GPU:
    MSIGTX680 Lightning
    Someone say Cinnabon?

2. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
  3. Entranc3d

Entranc3d New Member

GPU:
    AMD R9 280X 3GB
    What is stupid is that they have this on their page:

Supported Systems:

PC
    Windows 7 SP1 64-bit or higher

How will I test it on my Windows 7? Just more company BS....

Koniakki likes this.
  4. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X

5. Nono06

Nono06 Guest

GPU:
    4080 RTX
    I don't understand why people are not considering Luxmark as a better alternative. It is based on open source tools, is multi-platform, can render in openCL or C++ modes and is more demanding than Cinebench R15 in the complex scene "Hotel Lobby":
    http://wiki.luxcorerender.org/LuxMark

6. Vugtz0r

Vugtz0r Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX970 3.5GB
    I've once used the Windows store once to download a windows store only game and that was such a feces fest that I've decided to never ever use the windows store again. Guess I will not be using R20....

7. Kaerar

Kaerar Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    Yeah bad move by Maxon. I think Luxmark is the way to go. Maxon in time honoured internet tradition. Get ****** mate.

8. SHS

SHS Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    It for Mac not Windows

Oh let see Luxmark is for modern GPU processor that support OpenGL where Cinebench is for multiple cores CPU processor there a big diff.
    Lets ban them this stupid on there part when they are claiming that is Supported Systems: PC Windows 7 SP1 64-bit or higher and just how in the **** are we supposed to download it.

9. Brit90

Brit90 Member Guru

GPU:
    R390X 8GB
    Before everyone keeps jumping down Maxon's throat.

I would ask Hilbert to show us the Email/Letter they sent you, so we can judge how harsh they were or how threatening they were in the letter to you.

You make it sound like they were pulling no punches and going hard at you, this may be the case, but we should all see this and then judge them on what they said, not what we are told they said.

10. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    It's amusing watching the reactions of some of the people here. A developer has every right to their software, including which store they sell or make available from. Believe it or not, we enthusiasts are not entitled to it.

The only thing off about this is the legal threat. Couldn't they have just asked nicely?

Caesar and HWgeek like this.

11. HWgeek

HWgeek Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6200 Turbo Fotce @500/600 8x1p
    +1, legal threat was unnecessary since they know Guru3d from R15 downloads for many years.

user1 likes this.
  12. Nono06

Nono06 Guest

GPU:
    4080 RTX
    Luxmark can run both on CPU or GPU. As written in the description, there is a mode using standard C++ and not OpenCL.
    Whatever powerful your CPU is, the test will run for 2 minutes and try to render as many vectors as possible.
    All my 8C/16T are fully loaded during the test and cores are warmer than during Cinebench R15 test

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  13. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    Maybe just hypothetically, Microsoft is trying to make Windows 10 work more securely by tightening down how apps can be downloaded.

With the move to DCH drivers, they are starting to force all major hardware manufacturers and program developers to write UWP apps for their products.
    In a year, they don't support anything other than the Windows 10 OS.

This way they have control over what apps can be deemed malicious and what apps are safe. Some may not like the word "control" and "microsoft" in the same sentence, but it's likely for the average user's safety and not the power users that mainly roam Guru3D.

This is what happens on Android or MacOS/iOS. There's ways to download applications from a web browser and inject them into the system by APK or dmg through unconventional methods (which is what Win32 API is becoming), but they have their own app stores to filter out the malicious apps from the legitimate ones.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  14. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I'm pretty sure even saying it in a nice tone does not change the fact they wanted it taken down. Legal action doesn't automatically equal harsh tone in communication.

15. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    user1 and sverek like this.

16. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    I did try to use the Windows Store a few times, but it's very bad.
    So bad that I got to use Windows LTSC, and it's much cleaner, uses less ram, and it's faster.

fantaskarsef and BetA like this.
  17. msotirov

msotirov Guest

GPU:
    rx 480
    Typical moronic behavior of closed source software developers. These guys are like the dinosaurs – they're already dead and don't know it yet (applies to both the Cinebench creator and Windows itself).

BetA likes this.
  18. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I think most already downloaded it the normal way, so no worries xD

Well I did :D

19. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

I beg to differ "RESTRICTIONS OF USE
    The copyright in all material provided on this Site is held by Maxon Computer or by the original creator of the material. Except as stated herein, none of the material may be copied, reproduced, printed, distributed, republished, downloaded, displayed, posted or transmitted in any form or by any means, including, but not limited to, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise, without the prior written permission of Maxon Computer or the copyright owner. Permission is granted to display, copy, distribute and download the materials on this Site for personal, non-commercial use only, provided you do not modify the materials and that you retain all copyright and other proprietary notices contained in the materials. This permission terminates automatically if you breach any of these terms or conditions. Upon termination you are obliged to immediately destroy any downloaded and/or printed materials. You also may not, without Maxon Computer's permission, "mirror" any material contained on this Site on any other server. Any unauthorized use of any material contained on this Site may violate copyright laws, trademark laws, the laws of privacy and publicity, and communications regulations and statutes.

20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    and I will never download anything threw the UWP store so i guess they will never have download from me again

TheDeeGee likes this.