Battlefield V (2018)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by ShadowDuke, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    I've played just about every single BF game except for the very first and Vietnam pretty religiously.. this is the first one that I'm feeling burned out already with this soon. I think it's the lack of gadgets and maps, along with the fact that the current maps don't feel as sand-boxy for some reason. The ToW assignments tend to make me feel forced to play with certain styles, weapons, and modes that also sometimes give me negative gameplay, but I feel compelled to do them for the rewards and unlocks. Ultimately I think the live service model is a failure.. at least with BF5. They really need to pull a Ubisoft and bring this game back to life like Siege with development focus, but I don't think EA gives a crap about their IPs like Ubisoft does. It's going to have to cost EA some of their money to bring this game to the level it should be, and I just don't see them doing that.

The current news about the upcoming content is that Greece is only bringing ONE new map. To top it off, each update seems to keep breaking stuff. The patch that dropped today seems to have broken server queuing with a friend.. It's pretty damn obvious that BF5 is being ran by the smaller skeleton crew..

https://www.reddit.com/r/BattlefieldV/comments/axje8n/latest_patch_breaks_server_queuing/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Battlefiel...the_new_patch_introduced_a_new_bug_where_you/

Is Dice for real here? I'm having a hard time understanding what their goals are here. They could have scrapped the terrible training map and "CoOp" and put out a few decent maps that would have done way more for the community than what they've been doing..

I really don't want BF to die.. I don't know what else to play anymore, because frankly these "hero shooters"/"modern games" are just not my style..

Dragam1337 likes this.
  2. Seaclean

Seaclean Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB Gaming
    Any patch that doesn't improve DLSS or ray-tracing is a disappointment to me. That's really what I'm interested in when it comes to BFV.

3. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Hopefully they ignore you then, cause that is REALLY not what they need to focus on, if this game is to succeed.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  4. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    I agree with you.

I don't think bf5 failing means the end of Battlefield, i think they will give the battlefield franchise a 2nd shot, due to the overall great success of the franchise... but if the next bf fails aswell, then it could mean end of Battlefield.

5. Seaclean

Seaclean Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB Gaming
    What makes you think it has any chance of critical or commercial success? It's been hammered since before release and is arguably the weakest in the BF series save for Hardline.

6. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    @Seaclean

No, as multiplayer goes, I actually think Hardline was better (I prefer modern weapons and I do not like seeing reflex sights in WW2, just stupid), the SP in Hardline was weak as hell but BFV is easily the worst BF overall imho, I liked it at first but I quickly soured.

Like Battlefront II, great looking and great sounding, but with very little under the hood and there is only so long that aesthetics will hold my attention.

I vote for BF6: Kosovo or Vietnam/Korea, enough WW2 mambajahamba, it really has been done to death and back again.

A Flashpoint type scenario (like if Russia and the USA had fought in the 80s) would also be cool, think Red Storm Rising.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    Dragam1337 likes this.
  7. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    It was a huge mistake for them to do ww2 right after ww1... way too similar in many ways, and people were screaming for a return to modern day battlefield, as the last true modern battlefield game was bf4 in 2013. (and no i don't count hardline as a battlefield game - they just used the battlefield name to try and generate more sales for their cops and robbers game...)

Word is that they will be doing bad company 3 next, meaning back to modern day. Honestly it was probably what they should have done instead of ww2, and left ww2 for 20 year battlefield anniversary.

BangTail likes this.
  8. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    @Dragam1337

Yah, I can agree that Hardline is not really a BF game but I still preferred the MP in Hardline :p

And yah, BC3 would have been a much better choice, BC2 was awesome and had an excellent Nam add on.

Fingers crossed.

9. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O

Well, the feeling you got isn't exclusive. I've been playing BF games since their release (yes, 1942 as well), and you are right with the perception that the game does not pull you in as much as before, same I said.
    With BF4 just grinding down the same map over and over was a thing, here there is literally no map or game mode you want to play more than once a day. Everything else is pushed onto people by assignments, daily assignments, and needing to have about 1 million XP (or maybe even two) to get a skin unlock...

But what you've forgot is, that this game is not a game as a service. You buy it, and not subscribe to it... if you meant that they tested if they could keep people in the game with those stupid assignments, than EA has not found out, that even if people want to subscribe, they wouldn't be happy with on top of being charged, they have nothing to do besides assignments that requires them to play something they don't like... assignments are flawed as they are, and that is a big part of breaking the game.
    And yes, you are right, DICE probably already is pushed to work on something else, tech guys are more or less tweaking Frostbyte anyway (RTX, DLSS, adapting it for other games than FPS), what's left won't keep the game working. But to be fair, in every BF game of the recent past, it took about 6 months to have a properly playable game, as they always made sure to mess up a few things from the start.

That bug in particular... means I won't play. It's sad, but honestly, I don't want to play without my buddies. The games 10 time smore cancerous if you are playing alone with random bots... uhm players in your team.

Honestly... if BF has to die, I'd rather have it die now than 20 more zombie versions of BF2, which was the best game of the series. Better have horrible end than horror without and end...

Solfaur, BangTail and Kolt like this.
  10. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Well in good news they hotfixed the server queue bug (must have been backend) so that's fixed at least... :p

fantaskarsef likes this.

11. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
  12. darrensimmons

darrensimmons Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX4090AMPEXT
    Just wondering, how many people play this game with ray tracing enabled?

13. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    144op RTX Ultra enabled and loving the graphics

14. Seaclean

Seaclean Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB Gaming
    I'm playing @1440p ultrawide with RTX medium enabled. If they can actually fix DLSS for ultrawide I may play at ultra settings.

The reflections lend a lot of atmosphere to the setting. It's hard to go back even if Frostbite handles SSR well.

15. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    Firestorm tutorial leaked.

Also EA Publisher sale is up for 4 days and BFV is only 30 €. :rolleyes:
    BF1: 10 € (DLC also 10 €)
    BF4: 5 €
    BFH: 5 € (Premium 20 €)
    BF3: 15 € (Premium 5 €)
    SWBF2: 6 €
    lol..

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    fantaskarsef and Kolt like this.

16. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    I was never a fan of battle royale games, but the more i see of firestorm, the less i think battle royale a good combo with battlefield...

Solfaur and BangTail like this.
  17. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    @Dragam1337

Let's face it, it was bolted on as an afterthought to try and cash in.

A mistake on many levels imho, not the least of which was taking the devs away from dealing with the core gameplay issues to work on some frivolous attempt to capitalize on BR.

Unfortunately, that market is already saturated and now with Apex, I really don't see this doing anything at all beyond further hurting this already badly crippled game.

Solfaur and Dragam1337 like this.
  18. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Agree.

I love cd project reds approach in regards to game releases "coming : when it's ready" - it's honestly the only proper approach to game development. Cd project red ofc have the huge advantage of being an independent studio, who publish their own games, where as EA is holding the whip over Dice... but had Dice been able to take the same approach, i am willing to bet that they would have both made a significantly better game, and made more money long term aswell, even if they had to spend another full year making the game (18 months which is what they spend making bf5 is a ridiculous short amount of time given to make an AAA game).

0blivious and BangTail like this.
  19. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    @Dragam1337

Yah, no doubt about it and CDPR are an excellent example of what happens when you take greedy sh!tbags like Wilson and Kotick out of the equation.

We need more companies like CDPR and more publishers who are at least as interested in great games as they are in their pursuit of revenue.

Obviously, they have to be profitable, but not at the expense of everything (and everyone) else.

20. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    I absolutely agree.

Honestly, i think that if you release a really good game, then you are going to make alot of money, no matter nearly everything. Look at witcher 3, they took a long time to make it, they didn't include any anti tampering software, so anyone who wanted to pirate it could, they didn't charge for all the dlc's with extra items and quests - only for the 2 expansions (which were more or less as big as the main game in alot of other games), they didn't have microtransactions and other crap.... and they made a HUGE amount of money on the game, simply because it was good.

That really has to be like the biggest wakeup call to all game developers always pulling to pc piracy card as an excuse for their bad sales on pc... witcher 3 didn't prevent anyone from pirating it at all, but it sold extremely well on pc regardless. Just goes to show that the "sales are crap on pc due to piracy" argument is flawed as fack. I know alot of people who pirate games as to demo it before buying it, and if it sux... well guess what, then they uninstall it and don't buy it, and if it's awesome, then they buy it. Ofc there are also the people who pirate games, love the game, but still don't buy it, but i reckon they are in the minority in the western world, which again witcher 3 is a great example of :)

BangTail likes this.