Far Cry 5 Thread:

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by ramthegamer, May 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Also, New Dawn was turned around really quick.
    It's not a full fledged release or sequel, it's a stand alone add on to FC5... similar to the Old Blood is to The New Order.

If people are looking for FC to push visual boundaries, they should look to the next main entry... not the small little side project they did for fun.

2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    The texture pack is pretty good but from Far Cry 4 it looks like AMD mostly focused on the photogrametry tech and certain shaders though more for optimization such as the rapid packed math function and pulling some float16 instead of float32 calculations which from a earlier interview for FC5 I think was mainly for the water and I assume it carried over to New Dawn here.

I do like how the game looks overall though and additions such as HDR probably work really well (Particularly in New Dawn.) though effects for lighting, shadows and such could be better as could animation work though the game pulls some surprises for the main characters and primary story cutscenes. Going away from tessellated volumetric light beams, HBAO+ and PCSS probably also is one reason why it also runs really well for what it does have.

Although Dunia does seem to be the most aged of the engines Ubisoft uses for the majority of their AAA games with Disrupt (Watch_Dogs series.) and then Anvil though it was recently enhanced even further in AC Origins and then Odyssey so I guess it remains to be seen what Ubisoft will do for Disrupt (Watch_Dogs 3) and Dunia (Far Cry 6 eventually?) down the line somewhere in a year or two.

Then again it was forked from Cry-Engine 2 (Crysis 1, Cry-Engine 1 was Far Cry both from Crytek for those wondering.) and some of the bits from Far Cry 2 are still found in there though the engine has changed drastically from FC2 to FC3 and then again to FC4 and from there to FC5 plus the spin-off titles of Blood Dragon, Primal and New Dawn here though as noted above these do often see less work on the tech than the main installments would. :D

For the game? Liked what it was though picked it up via discount and well the bullet sponge boss design was a bit of a negative though thankfully not a frequent occurrence and the game is fairly short too unless you try for unlocking everything.
    AI has similar flaws and faults both friendly and hostile making exploiting them via range or explosive attacks fairly easy but your own buddies are kinda prone to walking around in fire or driving terribly or just doing something stupid and if things to awry they tend to ignore everything for trying to resurrect the player which while nice often means bee-line straight through heavily armed enemies and getting killed.

Since you can only have one buddy instead of Far Cry 5's two via a perk the inter-buddy banter is also gone now, kinda liked that even if it was filler only ha ha.

And the usual with loadouts though I suppose getting creative works but long range, rapid fire and something explosive and that's about set so grenade launcher in the pistol slot, some sniper rifle and if reload speed isn't a issue the MG42 or HMG of some sort and if reloading quicker is useful then any one of the assault rifles.

Flamer is nice but as usual a bit short in range and the fire is going to spread all over, almost like the propagation system is improved/increased since Far Cry 5 again and then well the bow is handy if you can manage to hit something less armored almost ridiculously so for the higher tier variants. Sniper works as always and from a distance can clear most things with ease and then well the MG42 is less recoil crazy again but it's a bit of a toss up between DPS or just the AKA Forty-Something-Seven or the US ACS assault rifle variants really heh.

As a side-note apparently the MG42 works just fine hip-fired and that's no problem at all...hitting stuff reliable however well probably a bit of a bigger issue. :p
    https://external-preview.redd.it/TI...bp&s=2f8e62d559f4784c196ef8cfe0aea8075fca4527

Well just some short observations and commentary more than anything, was a fun 15-some odd hours though 30-ish Euro was better from a price point but it's Far Cry 5 in a slightly newer setting with a few tweaks and changes but much the same still. :)
    Bullet sponge bosses are tedious though, they're not really difficulty they just drag it out while you run in a circle peppering them down occasionally using a medkit if you do get hit badly enough to require it. (And the usual ad because of course bosses have those.)

EDIT: Difficult, egh I keep adding in that Y for some reason hah.

3. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I might be wrong, but I thought Dunia was branched off of CryEngine 1. As FarCry by Crytek is the only title Ubisoft had any claims to, Crysis and any work done with CryEngine 2 on it were EA.
    If I remember, Ubisoft talked up how drastically they modified the original CryEngine for FarCry 2.

JonasBeckman likes this.
  4. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    well if they changed the name of the engine, i think you need to rewrite a specific amount of of the engine code before you can rebrand it your own, think its 80% but not sure.

So yea they probably would talk up how much they modified it so they did not get sued by crytek something they love to do.

5. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    OK, found out why the game looked like crap. I had HDR mode on which was giving it a washed out look. Turned it off and now the game looks stunning! Although I have a HDR capable display, cant use it since its 4k and would lose the 4:4:4 chroma sub-sampling, and that was giving it the washed out look. Not enough bandwidth, only HDMI 2.1 displays handle that. Will have to be a future upgrade. Anyway for now, very happy with the look of the game.

6. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Yes I'm fairly sure too original Dunia (FC 2) was modified from CryEngine (FC). Guess I could Google it but meh...

7. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Ok, so I uninstalled New Dawn last night and it wasn't quite a rage uninstall, it was more of an extremely annoyed uninstall.

The game tries to use The Division shooting/damage mechanics which is so f**king stupid, I can't even begin to understand why they did this (other than to make the game longer) but it was an incredibly bad idea.

I disable an Ethanol truck, kill all the 'purple' mobs (AKA bullet sponges) and then, out of nowhere I am charged by a 'gold' Bison that proceeds to 'one shot' the Ethanol truck, causing it to explode and fly up in the air, it then charges me, takes half my health and runs off, turns around at which point I empty 100 rounds out of a purple M60 into it, this barely gets it to half health, it charges me and kills me.

This is representative of many of the encounters I've had in the game and the it just instantaneously kills the immersion, the story isn't bad, I mean it's about as generic and cliche as can be but it's enjoyable enough, it's just sad that they chose to implement this stupid tier damage system and even sadder that it renders some of the wildlife almost indestructible.

I won't be returning to it but I really hope they don't implement this in any future Far Cry games because I won't purchasing any of them if they do.

8. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    If one goes by Odyssey and New Dawn, this is the new Ubisoft-the-game formula they'll go with. I also found the ads for the helix credits store in the main menu in ACOD to be distasteful, not a big fan of Ubi's current (apparent) direction.

BangTail likes this.
  9. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    @lucidus

Yah, not a fan.

I really liked Odyssey and I will play the hell out of The Division 2 but FC never had those mechanics (at least not that blatantly) and I don't want them in that franchise.

As far as RMT go, don't like them either, but it doesn't look like they are going away and some of the sleazy stuff that Ubi does to try and coerce you into using them leaves a really bad taste in my mouth.

For example, leaving huge gaps in the ability to level up in Odyssey to try and push people to buy XP etc, that's just garbage, we paid for the f*cking game, that's enough.

lucidus likes this.
  10. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    They're cynically adopting ARPG mechanics to get more money out of the player I'd guess. They're not even providing a "service" - it's typing your credit card number in place of a cheat code.

ACOD's materials were also a pita to acquire. Even by end game I didn't have enough to upgrade my ship v/s Black Flag. Upgrading weapons and armor was also so expensive that I never bothered with that function unlike Origins.

BangTail likes this.

11. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    @lucidus

And that is a real shame as it sullies what was otherwise a phenomenally good game.

lucidus likes this.
  12. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Sad to hear that. I only recently started it and just finished a few missions. Retrieving the package from the aircraft carrier was a lot of fun, and was getting more excited for whats to come. I see some similar gameplay elements from AC origins and Metal Gear Solid 5 (capturing outposts with alarms, dog companion that tags enemies, base building, some stealth elements if you are so inclined, etc) and was hoping it could be be a quality game in the same breadth. What I dislike so far are shallow, corny NPCs. Badly fleshed out characters really kill immersion.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    BangTail likes this.
  13. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Retrieving the packages is too gamey.. why would there be a smoke were it is, it would make a lot more sense to have something that beeps a bit higher when you get close to it and truly would have to look for it and the chopper should of course wait at the same safe space it landed on.
    But I liked the designs otherwise on many of the levels, the game tends to look better if it only has to render smaller places, dosn't look too repetitive as the main game.

Otherwise I agree that they have made it more into a grind in order to sell stuff, but for me this is never really a problem as it is a single player game and trainers are available no matter which patch version is installed.
    At this point I also hope that FC6 doesn't sell too well so that Ubi is forced to rethink if they can do something more with this, because let's face it, it is generally just more of the same. The outposts are the best part of the game for so that was somewhat improved, finally more of a decent challenge buy largely a lot of time is still spent on traveling from point A to B without much to do inbetween.

Sometimes the AI is ridiculously poor, like when I command a follower to escape the fires they stand in they just stand there and their death is pretty much certain, had they however followed my orders they would only take some damage and survive the whole thing.
    Demon fish are rubbish too, a few bites and the follower needs to be revived, and often it can take 3-4 times before the AI actually understand that perhaps it should swim to the shore..

(I probably mentioned this already, but I'll do it again, why cannot I choose the music volume level? Heck, this has been a feature since the 90s and how many FC games without it?)

14. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Totally agree, during these cut scenes i use the time to make a brew or pour some vino. Im now on FC5 having gone through FC4, FC Primal, as always the game doesnt explain much at all and most things are left to the player to work out. I must say that at max settings and 4k its a great looking game that plays smoothly. Some nice little touches to the graphics and gameplay but the normal FC issue like odd AI.

15. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Playing on and off last few days and so far like it. Just wish those damn chatty guns for hire STFU. What I like are gameplay elements similar to Metal Gear Solid 5, capturing outposts and getting bonuses when doing so undetected, especially with a stealthy sniper companion. Character design however is one of the most face-palmy I've seen in a while.

Who would you prefer to tag along? :D
    Nana
    [​IMG]

Or Quiet from MGS V
    [​IMG]

Undying likes this.

16. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Like most FPS games i stick with the basic weapons and characters. .50 with a silencer, high capacity pistol and an assualt rifle with multiple fire modes. As in real life its quicker to change weapons than to change mags. Always engage the enemy at the maximum range then close when you need to.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    cerebus23 and airbud7 like this.
  17. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    New Dawn is in Ubisofts Spring Sale and with the extra 20% off you can get with coins it'll be a sweet deal for sure.

18. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Wow FC5 is £50 on STEAM right now, i bought it for £12.99 a month ago.

19. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I meant on Uplay :)

20. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Yeah bud understood, was just looking on Steam.