Video card sales again dropped compared to last year

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 4, 2019.

1. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    so why arent 580s going for 80 bucks then

warlord likes this.
  2. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Don´t tell me people don´t want more expensive cards that are barely faster than current cards... Shocked...:rolleyes:

3. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    The decline is larger than I expected - AMD down by 6.8% and Nvidia down by 7.6% (Intel iGPUs don't really count IMO). These are also quarter-by-quarter numbers, which is well after the mining crash, although part of it is probably due to the hangover (oversupply of mid-range GPUs).

I think these figures reflect the overall situation in the GPU market. There aren't many compelling upgrade options from either company so no reason to upgrade - AMD continues selling Polaris and Vega and Nvidia has yet to release a mainstream Turing GPU. As the report states, this will continue for some time.

warlord, jura11 and fantaskarsef like this.
  4. Moonbogg

Moonbogg Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti@2.1GHz
    I think people are just pissed off they can't get a 1080ti anymore. These new cards all suck, except the 1660ti which is basically borderline OK for a new gen card. It's acceptable. It would have been great at $250, but AMD left the building, so...

5. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Majority of people are playing at 1080p or even 720p resolutions(maybe not 720 so much), with that you really can get away with anything 770 and above on the Nvidia side, or most GCN based cards on the AMD side. On top of that, pricing for hardware now and adaptation of newer standards is really slow. Just about 10 years ago, you could buy an 8800 GT for $250 and play games with that for a good few years, buying a 5 year old card that was $250 now wouldn't get you too far...

fantaskarsef, warlord and airbud7 like this.
  6. Moto_Life

Moto_Life Active Member

GPU:
    Msi 1070 gaming X
    I dont see prices ever returning to normal and even though the 20 series isn't that great or much of an improvement from the last generation people would buy them if the prices weren't so ludicrous. I hope their greed hurts them because they deserve it at this point.

7. Hyderz

Hyderz Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    in the time frame when rtx first launched until now .. there hasnt been much demanding titles that 10 series cards from nvidia or amd rx series that would require an upgrade to a newer gpu.
    Shadow of the tomb raider, battlefield v, metro exodus, FF15 etc... sure they had dlss support and dxr but they are not enough to drive gpu sales..
    The pricing of the rtx cards doesnt help boost the sales either ...

8. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080ti Eagle
    I'm giving Nvidia the benefit of the doubt that introducing new tech is indeed expensive, and RTX is new tech. Still too expensive for me, and my tri 980ti still do fine.

9. kings

kings Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti / RX 580
    If prices were the only problem, AMD would not have gone down 6.8% as it has cheap graphics cards.

At this point the market is stagnant, there is nothing from AMD and Nvidia that is really worth investing compared to the last 2~3 years.

Most are waiting for Nvidia and AMD to make serious progress with 7nm cards.

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    hardly shocking and to battle this they will increase prices I bet. in e 3- 4 years when, IF i make new pc i wonder what prices will be. I already weary prices and if they keep going up I will just stick to consoles

11. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Considering that the gpu sales do not reflect pc gaming market in the least I'd say yeah it is on the rise. Games sold is a better thing to look at.

12. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Agree. We have had GPU stagnation for 3 years, excluding the extremely high priced RTX series, so the GPU sales are less connected to gaming than in years past.

13. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I think if they brought the prices for video cards back down from the moon they might start selling again, with that said I think that retailers don't want to bring them back down because they liked the amount of money they made with the inflated price + selling to miners, now that miners aren't buying bulk anymore only the intended consumer is left and most of them aren't interested in the new inflated price brackets.

14. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    I got a used 1060 off ebay for$110 ....great 1080p card
    can't afford 4k stuff :(

15. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
    That doesn't surprise me. And it has nothing to do with the PC market "dying" as so many people like to say. The problem is with both cpu's and gpu's. 20 years ago you had to upgrade every year or two because things were advancing so rapidly, you had twice the power every year. The last 10 years have been stagnant. My old core 2 duo still does what the majority of people use computers for. My 7-8 year old i7-930 still runs even new games just fine with a 980Ti. There really has been no compelling reason to upgrade except for bragging rights or a few of the programs that use more cores on the cpu side. For the gpu side, it's basically the same. High res like 4k needs something more than a 980Ti, but then again it needs more than even the newest gpus can do, and not everybody is upgrading to 4k monitors yet. And if you are an average gamer that isn't very sensitive to framerates you don't even need anything that powerful. We really need to go back to speed of progress we had in the '90s so that we have to upgrade. :D

16. zig11727

zig11727 Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080 Ti
    Here in the US the RTX 2080 ti was released with a price of $1200 now due to import duties this high price has rose another $100 to $150 also new egg and others have started to charge local sales tax with adds another $115 to $130 depending where you live. I own a RTX 2080 ti and I have to say the card is not worth the price it should retailed for half.

airbud7 and Monchis like this.
  17. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    There are hundreds of thousands of GPUs being sold used that were mining over the last 2+ years. That right there will slow down the purchasing of new retail GPUs siginificantly.

carnivore and airbud7 like this.
  18. Moonbogg

Moonbogg Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti@2.1GHz
    I like what you wrote here. I was getting into PC gaming during those golden years and I feel absurdly privileged to have experienced such an amazing era of technological development, especially something so closely related to personal entertainment like PC gaming hardware. We are among the fortunate few and we may be spoiled by that. Even if hardware advanced today like it used to, it still wouldn't have the noticeable impact on our daily use of the machine like it did back then. Basic use of the PC got faster with each new CPU in addition to games running faster as well. It improved the whole thing.
    My dad got me a CPU upgrade from a 486 66mhz to a 133mhz version. It was the difference between Duke Nukem being a laggy mess VS being smooth and playable. No modern CPU is so slow that any game you play will be a laggy mess. It is always playable. If you have something higher performance such as an overclocked CPU, then forget it. Nothing will actualy lag on that chip for probably another decade. People these days see 60fps and they say, "That CPU sucks because it doesn't get a steady 144+". What the hell is this kind of talk? Voodoo graphics cards used to advertise "3D Gaming at 60 FPS!" right on the side of the box. Now people see 60FPS minimums and think the CPU or GPU sucks. The good old days are gone. For anything similar to the 1990's to happen again, we need a new technological paradigm to emerge from which rapid progress can yet again be anticipated and enjoyed.

airbud7 likes this.
  19. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Indeed. Those days of rapidly advancing graphics and hardware 90s/00s seem like a distant past now. We get incremental increases, but nothing earth shattering now. Since about 2008/2009, we've seen diminishing returns across the board as far as advancements of tech and hardware. That's when the iPhone was getting popular, wasn't it? I'm going to posthumously blame Steve Jobs for this.

airbud7 likes this.
  20. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    The most worrying matter is that technology stopped advancing with large steps in this section. We have little gaps with immeasurable costs. As a result, consumers are paying more for less, year by year.

We need better material from a software prism and more efficient/effective programmers/developers.

PC hardware should be declining with those little improvements. Only nolifers or wealth morons are investing tons of money on a declining market.

Mobile phones are still only keep showing large fluctuations despite their 5 to 10 months life cycle. Technology ought to show evolution or starts dying.