Video card sales again dropped compared to last year

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    That there have been some massive changes and shifts in GPU sales should not come as a surprise as the mining segment pretty much collapsed, and newer model graphics cards have become too expensive f...

Video card sales again dropped compared to last year

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Nothing new here. Pick your own reason for it, because there's a couple of them when we look back at 2018.

3. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Around a 5% decline isn't quite as bad as it sounds when you consider the mining situation.

schmidtbag and fantaskarsef like this.
  4. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    The last two paragraphs are repeating boss.

As for the data, it's unsurprising that with the fall of cryptomining, there would be no reason to pay obscene prices for the GPUs, unless you absolutely had to. Let's hope this year it will stabilize a bit, especially with the coming 1100 series from NVIDIA and Navi from AMD.

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Pc gaming is on the rise? Hah.

6. Petr V

Petr V Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx over 9000
    Who will buy overpriced and lousy performance gpu's?
    Make no sense to buy it now.

CK the Greek likes this.
  7. HybOj

HybOj Master Guru

GPU:
    Gygabite RTX3080
    Next year will be better. Its bad situation now, and Im glad my gtx970 OCed is still holding fine...
    And my FX8300 @ 4,1ghz as well... fine wine style.
    8gb ddr3 2133hmz with manually tightened timings
    and Samsung SSD

Still rolling good, waiting for things to normalize (Ryzen 3 and new gfx cards from both vendors, or even from intel if that happens)

Happy camping

8. Reqruiz

Reqruiz Active Member

GPU:
    Vega 56 Pulse
    I bought Radeon RX480 two years ago and there is just no good upgrade for me because I don't want to pay 500$ and more for GPU. I could buy RX590 or new GTX1660 / 2060 but I think it's too small perf increase. RX480 is still beast @ 1080p in games that I usually play so what is the point to buy any new card just little more powerful? I thought there will be something new in two-three years at RX480 price that is much more powerful but there isn't. I'm waiting for Navi and I hope it will be my upgrade that I'm waiting for. I expect GTX1080 perf for 200-300 bucks. We're close to it but not yet there.

And I think there are people with similar problem - they own 1060's/580's and they play at 1080p so right now there is just no need to upgrade. And even if they want to upgrade there is no good option to do it. I mean I know there are great cards with great performance but come on - who wants to pay 700 bucks for GPU... just few people.

9. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Guest

GPU:
    x
    RTX anyone?

10. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    This is no surprise with these current gen turds Nvidia has released the only card worth while for the masses is the 1660 and that's only if you're not already on a 10xx series card already. And I dont even want to comment on AMD's current offerings.

11. Petr V

Petr V Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx over 9000
    Sure no.

12. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    I don't think this is the main reason, for most people APU and IGP are enough for the PC, even for gaming (despite all the add for gaming graphic card) and generation Y is a passive consumer, that generaly doesn't know much about harware and don't care about it.
    Also with the rise of the cost of life even in the 3rd world, the priority for people is food and energy.
    If the world were in the same situation than 4 year ago, price wouln't be a so big problem.

13. mentor07825

mentor07825 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3080
    I'm in the same boat. RX480 8GB card but I'm rocking a 2K 144hz monitor. It'll do the job for now but I'm itching to replace it. Just, as you've pointed out, there's little incentive right now as the current offerings are poor. I'm looking to stick with AMD because of Freesync so I hope Navi provides a healthy range of cards.

14. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    I bought a 1070 over 2 years ago and there's simply been no compelling upgrades. The pricing has gone crazy and the new series aren't even that much better than what I already have.

Pretty easy decision, really. I could see this (me not upgrading) going another 2 years.

15. Petr V

Petr V Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx over 9000
    Water,food and then energy but you got good point in this.
    And it will be problematic with these basic resources.
    Later we probably will need harder hardware then computer parts.
    And about price no one likes pay more for every new gen product they release.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019

16. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
  17. squalles

squalles Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax RTX 4070ti
    sure, high prices fault, videocards with prices so much higher than last series and same improvement percentage like always

18. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I gladly upgrade for half the price.

Petr V, warlord, carnivore and 3 others like this.
  19. ImmortalicBrad

ImmortalicBrad Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Max-Q
    Happy that Nvidia is supporting Freesync now. That's a good thing for everybody :)

I'm still torn between justifying the purchase of a 1080p/1440p card considering how little gaming I do on my PC now compared to console. Let alone deciding on if I want to shell out $50+ on the ASUS STRIX 1660 Ti O6G, a different version of the 1660 or opt for the RTX 2060.

20. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I expected a bigger decline now that mining is over. This is actually impressive to me. When you factor in the inflated numbers of the last year or so.