Sony 55" OLED TV ..Mistake?

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by ESlik, Dec 28, 2018.

1. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    I just ordered the OLED TV..,after I ordered, I had some friends tell me I made a huge mistake. None of them own an OLED, but they ALL said the OLED screen is way too dark. I saw a few video reviews but I didn't get anything that deterred me from buying. Are there any members here that own an OLED? Are my friends right about this? I would rather have input from members that are trusted here at Guru. Anyone? Thanks all..

2. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    I own an LG B7 and the image isn't dark at all, some of the really early OLED's weren't the brightest of displays but the tech has come a long way over the years.

I think you'll be happy with it.

MegaFalloutFan likes this.
  3. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    The TV I ordered, is the Sony 55" A8F, and from what I've been reading, the "too dark" issue is specific to Sony OLED screens. LD doesn't seem to have this same issue. I guess I'll have to wait until it gets delivered to find out. Thanks for your response anxious. Any Sony OLED owners here? If so, please let me know if the dark screen is a true issue. Thanks again all...

4. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    LG supply the panel for that model so I honestly wouldn't worry, although it does seem quite expensive compared to LG's models that use the same panel.

5. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    I've always had Sony TV's and really trust their brand. It was a bit more expensive than LG etc,,but it was $800,00 off with free shipping. I"m still worried though anxious,..every video review I've watched lately, the reviewers say the Sony really does have a darker screen image than LG. Oh well, nothing I can do about it until I have it plugged in and see what I see. I'm sure I can RMA it if I'm not satisfied. It will no doubt cost me an arm and a leg to pay re-stocking, and shipping it back. Thanks for your help buddy...I'll let you know what I think, once I get it up and running. Thanks again...

anxious_f0x likes this.
  6. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I consider Sony to be fairly top spot for tech across the board for mass-market delivery and research...however, I would not buy an OLED due to screen-burn/image retention.

So bad is this, that Sony (yes, I just checked their global warranty documentation prior to posting) clearly state that you cannot make a warranty claim against SB/IR. What makes this worse is that the case examples they give include viewing an image that has a different aspect ratio than the OLED teevee. So, if you watch a 4:3/1.3:1 or 21:9/2.3:1 that will give you black borders at the top of the screen or the side, you have to 'stretch' the image, or you will get SB/IR. Not fun to watch a movie at a 'squished' aspect ratio just to protect the teevee. Not fun at all.

LG go one further than Sony, just to compare and contrast. LG state that you must have your contrast @ 50% and not watch anything for longer than 10 minutes, if it has any static images on the screen, like a logo. So watching the news for 30 minutes is out of the question and definitely not watch anything that gives you black borders at the edges.

This, regardless of the obvious awesomeness of OLED, is completely and totally terrible state of affairs.

The answer to your question is simply this: return it immediately and get a QLED from samsung - as SB/IR is non-existent on these televisions (10 year warranty) and have the lowest input lag of all televisions in the 4/8kUHD range right now.

Sorry...and before anyone asks, I own a Panasonic Plasma and have done for nearly 8 years - no image retention whatsoever.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
    Mufflore likes this.
  7. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    Thanks for the info Loobyluggs. What you and some friends said about OLED scared the crap out of me. I was really thinking of cancelling the order. That was until an hour ago. It was delivered today. That said, I checked for unbiased professional and Sony owner reviews that left me more at ease with th9is purchase. My viewing habits are such that I need not worry about burn issues etc. I don't play games on the TV, and I don't leave it on all day etc. I still have small concerns however, but once I set it up and give it a couple days of viewing, I can better make a decision on whether or not I should return it. I really appreciate the input here, but I did feel a lot better after reading what actual Sony OLED owners had to say.

8. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    Having used an LG B7 for a year and a half without problems I’m confident in saying you won’t have issues with image retention unless you stare at the same static image for 5 hours a day.

Enjoy your new TV :)

9. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00173479

https://services.sony.co.uk/support/en/warranty/general

https://www.zdnet.com/article/lg-oled-tv-suffers-burn-in-from-4000-hour-test/

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/real-life-oled-burn-in-test

http://i.rtings.com/images/reviews/tv/lg/real-burn-in/real-burn-in-week-46-tv-3-magenta-large.jpg

¬

Gents, I appreciate the anecdotal comments - but Sony are saying what they are saying for a reason, and LG panels will fail too. In addition to this, Samsung are saying:

So - this is NOT anecdotal, this is a very real problem with OLED. Am I saying OLED is bad picture quality? No, far from it, it is godlike, if you look at the charts for OLED panels (any of them, they are all exceptional) you can see they blow everything else out of the water, but there is a very real cost to this:

You are heavily restricted in what you can use them for, without consequences. I think it's a huge huge problem that this tech has, and no one has a solution, merely workarounds, for which no manufacturer will give you a warranty for.

As stated, you have to use zoom mode for anything that has borders (movies ét all) and cannot watch anything with a logo (like the news).

If you are okay with that - fine, but let me ask you a question: would you buy a 2nd hand OLED that has been used for more than a year?

Get ya money back. Get a "Qled". From what I can see...the price of a 55" OLED will get you a 65" qled and that's if you want Q9...if you get a Q6, you could be staring at a 75"...something to think about.

10. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    Loobylugs,,,, You seem to be convinced that all OLED screens suffer from burn in that results in an almost unwatchable television experience, . If that were truly the case, there would be a FLOOD of returns and refunds etc, from the introduction date of OLED screens, and continuing through to today, That in itself would have stopped further production of OLED screens, Would OLED PC gaming monitors be in the works if it was THAT bad? Sure, there are issues, but it appears to me to be just fine when using the tv primarily for regular tv broadcasts. Gaming on the OLED is clearly more of an issue than anything else, and I don't game on my TV, While I did have some real concerns, I'm not going to push the panic button so quickly. I'm going to enjoy the new Sony, and if it goes for a crap, I'll deal with it at that time. Your input however, is of value. It appears you know what you're talking about, and what you say may help others decide. Just because I don't totally agree with your opinion,doesn't mean that your opinion is not important to other buyers. I appreciate all input from almost all the members here at Guru. Thanks again,,,take care all,,,

MegaFalloutFan and anxious_f0x like this.

11. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Not my opinion, sorry, and I appreciate the comments you made, the first of which is a fair one and the answer is simple: returns and refunds are impossible when it is clearly stated by the manufacturer that screen burn / image retention is an accepted part of the technology.

The manufacturers are the ones making the case! They offer no warranty for the issue for the very reason that it is an issue they cannot resolve, nor want to other than to offer guidelines to reduce the impact as much as possible. The advice they offer is sound and logical, but only goes to highlight the issues.

Image quality is astoundingly high - but the evidence against the tech for retention is not even debatable.

As for me, I'm a movies guy. I love movies. Being forced to watch 2001: A Space Oddessy in squisho-vision instead of what SK filmed it at, using the same dimensions of the Monolith, is not something I wish to do. And, that film is over 2 1/2 hours long. By the time The Dawn of Man opening has ended and we cut to the space station (best match cut in cinema history) I will be thinking to myself "Well, there goes the OLED". I say that because that is what will happen according to Sony, unless I turn on super-wide/zoom.

No thank you.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  12. ST19AG_WGreymon

ST19AG_WGreymon Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2070
    I've owned my LG OLED for over 3 years now. My kid watches a lot of 4:3 material and my wife has left it on channels with static banners/logos for 7+ hours. No burn-in here. Not saying it doesn't happen, I wouldn't leave it on for 12 hours or something. My friend owns the A8F and he loves it, enjoy your TV man. Also take your time to calibrate the screen to make it really shine.

13. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    I have the 65" Sony OLED (XBR65A8F).

Sony really made a comeback where TVs are concerned, you won't be sorry.

I do not use it for PC gaming but I do have my consoles hooked up to it and I have no problems whatsoever, it will (obviously) require calibration depending on the room you are using it in, available light etc.

Burn-in is an issue but it can be avoided if you take the necessary precautions, this is my second OLED and I have yet to see any signs of it on either.

I should also mention that mine is in the basement (which is very dark) and the color and clarity are fine, no issues with the image whatsoever.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  14. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    If they cannot give me a warranty - I don't want to give them my money.

15. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    So don't buy one, problem solved :)

16. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    I would personally avoid OLED at all costs, as burnin WILL happen more or less regardless of how carefull you are... but if you like me leave the news on for hours straight, then you can be certain you will be watching the news for all eternity, regardless of what you might otherwise be trying to watch.

tfam26 likes this.

17. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Yes, they lost out of being able to attract people who don't want to be tricked into buying technology that has an inbuilt flaw to it.

Grats to them. I got the money here in my pocket, ready to give it to them, yet, none of them want to take my money.

Problem solved.

18. Sovsefanden

Sovsefanden Guest

GPU:
    They are clueless. OLED can get very bright these days.

Most LCD's needs to be run at 15-25% brightness, to reduce or remove blacklight bleed etc. OLED can be run at full brightness if you want to, and still look PERFECT. At full brightness, you will be squinting. It's VERY bright. I own C9 65 inch (livingroom) and B9 55 inch (bedroom).

Thousands of hours on both. Zero burn-in.

You pretty much never see burn-in on 2018+ OLEDs. Pixel refresher WORKS.

I have at least 2000 hours on my 65 inch for HDR PS4 Pro gaming, and there's ZERO burn in. This is at full OLED LIGHT (100% brightness).

19. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    OLED struggles with full field brightness and reflectiveness in the daytime in my experience. At night with the lights dim or off it's perfect. Highlights are fine at 600-800 nits.

20. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    OLED is destined to die one day or another. There is a valid reason all OLEDs used for professional gaming and PC usage, are beyond repair.