Movies Discussion

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by hallryu, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    Definitely a big disconnect from reality. In the US, Death row inmates are locked up for decades because they pursue all avenues to remain locked up instead of meeting their executioner.

How did this poor movie become #1 at the US box office in 2018? Making $700million which was $21million more than Infinity War. Why did the US turn out in droves to support this movie?

2. GreyDev

GreyDev Guest

GPU:
    GPU
    Spiderman into the Verse 9-9.5/10. In general it's just excellent, it got just about everything right. Story was good, animation was great, soundtrack was great.... Spider-pig felt a bit out of place but just about worked.

3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Marketing and hope that it will be different. I had unbelievably high hopes for Captain Marver. (Last hope for Marvel Cinematic universe.)
    But I do not know if I want to support another movie with Brie by going to see it. There is reason for new meme: "Never go full Brietard."
    And one should definitely not do that just weeks before your Big Budget movie premiere.

You have 2 Movies for comparison:
    - Both have rich pre-existing content
    - Both have Cool Main Female Character
    - Both have interesting Supporting Characters on both Good/Bad sides
    - One Movie's Main Actress pisses all over core audience of that pre-existing content before premiere

Which one is going to be popular?
    Which one is going to face Backlash even before premiere?

Yes, Alita did everything close to perfection. But with Captain Marvel... I do not really care much if movie is any good at this point. Brie can bring home certificate: "Given to: Last Nail in the Coffin."
    I'll rather settle in MCU for Guardians of Galaxy light theme and Thor Ragnarok comedy factor... even while they provide less of a story and more of a 'Cheap' Fun.
    Because those "serious" MCU movies have as small amount of story, but rest is replaced by boring CGI fight instead of funny character interaction.
    = = = =

But that all underscores how good and bad marketing makes huge difference. BP had simply good marketing.

4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz

Guys, I kind of think about this:
    Thanos pwned everyone like they were nothing with infinity gauntlet.
    But then there is Steve and Thanos uses Power Stone at him and he gets up, walks to Thanos and grabs Infinity Gauntlet. And Thanos can't prevent him from doing so. Look at that expression Thanos has. One of like: "Does not compute."
    I think it is not because Steve is strong, he really is not. I think it is because Thanos can't use Gauntlet on him anymore. It still works, but not on Steve.

Maybe it has to do something with being worthy like with original Thor's hammer. In close distance to Steve, those stones consider him to be truly worthy or are resonating with him.

5. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Yeah not buying that theory,

They ALL get up after having had Thanos walk through them using the Gauntlet the only difference being Steve got up a bit quicker which is no doubt why Thanos looked surprised he wasn't expecting this 'human' to be as strong as he was, even then it still took Steve's entire body and both hands on the Gauntlet, two hands on two fingers to stop him from closing his fist and Thanos just decked him with a single punch.

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Look at what his right hand punch does to likes of Iron Man's suit. Or how much damage do does by grabbing suit's head. Even Black Panther been dealt with not by use of Gauntlet, but by being grabbed and smashed to ground... And Black Panther has at that point upgraded shock absorbing suit.
    Secondly, Theory that Thanos has to close fist to use Gauntlet is wrong. (That's if you meant to say that he for some reason wanted to close it.) In this very clip you see clearly that Thanos has open palm and separate fingers at time he uses Gauntlet.

In scene Thanos is pushing his palm towards Steve, not in grab move, not in attempt to make fist. And if palm was to finish movement, it would be covering Steve's upper chest to lower face. (Vertically placed fingers... not attempt to neck/head grab.)
    Through movie, There are few places where Thanos really fights. And because he is physically super strong and resilient, he uses his right arm (w/o Gauntlet) to do damage. And Left arm with Gauntlet to use Gauntlet.

Chance that Thanos wanted to use gauntlet at that moment is overwhelmingly higher than to use arm as physical tool. He does not take unnecessary risks.

For Thanos, Stark did exhibit much higher threat, strength and resiliency. Therefore He should not be surprised by tenacity in human. And way he used Gauntlet in that entire fight, he was not really underusing it.

7. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    This is the movie,the good movie,not today's fakes with CGI everywhere and bad acting:

20th Century Fox is bringing Alien to UHD Blu-ray in April to celebrate the classic film’s 40th anniversary. The disc will include both a theatrical version and director’s cut.
    Ridley Scott’s original Alien was restored in 4K by 20th Century Fox and Company 3 / Deluxe Entertainment last year.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1551263702

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    Noisiv likes this.
  8. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Okay, quite a few mistakes in that theory, firstly he does have to close his fist to use the gauntlet, it's a rather telegraphed plot point of the fight on Titan, it is also literally the thing he does every single time he uses the Gauntlet to the extent that itr is clearly shown in at least 4 or 5 scenes. The exposition pieces of Titan between him and Dr Strange, he does it twice right at the start when he destroys the Asgard ship and then portals off it. The reality shift on No Where, when he uses the time stone right at the end of the movie and portals out after the snap. He can open his hand and still use the activated stone afterwards but he needs to close his fist to activate them. Comically the only time he doesn't have to close his fist is for the actual snap.

Second he does use the Gauntlet in regular fist fights, the very first fight against the Hulk he uses it and again on Titan right at the start of the fight, he even back hands Nebula using the hand with the Gauntlet it looks very much like in that scene with Steve he isn't trying to use The Gauntlet, at least not at first but rather he is trying to grab Steve's head. Steve is at ground level attacking his legs when he reaches for him. Steve grabs his hand, it looks like Steve is just trying to stop himself from being grabbed.

Third he does not take risks, so he must have been trying to use The Gauntlet... well that fight itself actually has him take down at least three of the team without ever using the Gauntlet and the opening actually has a him fight the Hulk hand to hand despite having the power stone and having his second in command step in and hold back his chiefs telling them 'let him have his fun'. He also removes his armour at the end of that scene as well so while he may not go out of his way to take risks he also doesn't do everything possible to prevent the chances of it.

Their is also so many flaws with the very basic theory, the whole concept of Steve Rogers being 'worthy' enough to not have the stones work on him is pathetically twee, it would be such a massive plot point and it is one that was done miles better by the comical scene at the start of Age Of Ultron when he very slightly moved Mjolnir. Their is the flipside of that argument as well, if someone is worthy to be immune then their has to be a measure of someone being worthy to posses and use the stones and let's remember that the power stone was going to be used by Ronan the Accuser to destroy a planet because of revenge... does that seem worthy?

I mean yeah you've got a theory and stick with it, it may turn out to be right but if it does I'll be really dis - appointed because it's kind of weak, and again it does kind of fly in the face of the Thanos wanting to wipe out half of all life using a method that is impartial and utterly random. If someone is deemed worthy of not being affected by the stones then it isn't impartial or random now is it?

9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Lets use logic. Yes, that thing.
    1) Confirming that something has to be done in each and every case in not done by showing few examples. It is done by confirming all samples. It takes just one negative sample to prove that something is not necessity in every case. And that's what you could see in clip. Another example is final use: "Not a fist, but snapping fingers."

2) I did not say he does not use hand with Gauntlet for brute force fight. I said that he prefers other hand to do so. (Hence probability.) Then it is clear that he had nothing to grab in that motion. And no, Steve is not not attacking his legs at time Gauntlet hand motion starts. It is right after Steve hits him to chin (and puts him a bit out of balance). And at time Steve hits his chin, Gauntlet arm is rather idle.
    As of "Steve grabbing Gauntlet", that is Steve's intention and that's not important part here. Important part is intention Thanos had with that motion. And you do not get to grab someone's head by aiming that low.

3) Hulk does not have armor in that fight or any special technology, right? Taking down Helmet after Thor is fully immobilized, Hulk teleported away and Heimdall dead is not exactly risk. Loki is not direct attacker and is nowhere to be seen at given moment. (And Thanos kind of knows him.)

Then I did not write it is necessarily "Worthiness", I used "or" / "like" and did not deny other possibilities. It can be anything as Stones happen to have something like "Will". What I wrote about are examples which react in close proximity. Thor himself could move Mjolnir with his will at distances, but others "moved" it by close physical proximity (touch). Even Hel stops Mjolnir at touch distance.
    Therefore it is question of: "How close one has to be to stone to potentially resonate with or use it."

Yes, I got a funny little theory dancing at the edge of unknown. I do not mind that you disagree. But I mind when you do not do so with truthful statements as that's not helpful. As of what Thanos wants against what stones "Wishes". Hard to say. Gauntlet burned out as result.
    Thanos did not exactly worded mechanism which his snap takes. Maybe reality stone empowered by all others duplicates entire reality and everyone. But each person has 50/50 chance to be wiped from original reality. And if person remains in original reality, then it is removed from new one. That way nobody truly died, but everyone died at same time. (Lovely twist to kill everyone and no one... except those who opposed him sufficiently.)
    Movie does not even say if he "designed" mechanism in way that he could have been affected too. It is important to realize what we do not know.

10. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    1). Look sorry you're just wrong, plain flat out wrong it's a major plot point it is used as a factor in the fight on Titan not just by one character but three of them, Strange, Stark and Spidey all do what they can to prevent him from closing his fist and the only instance in which it is not the case, the finger snap is explained by several characters through out the movie and some other info suggests that once in possession of the mind stone he no longer needs to close his fist, hence why the snap works but even then he closes his fist after the snap, their is no other instance in the movie where he does not close his fist to use the gauntlet including the scene you keep mentioning. Here's a video showing him using The Gauntlet, every time he uses it he closes his fist and the only scene that isn't shown is his use of the time stone and that's because it's been cut in this video

2). You're right, he isn't attacking his legs but Thanos IS reaching in to grab him, not to use the Gauntlet, again every use of the Gauntlet is telegraphed by him lifting his fist and then closing it with the gem he wants to use starting to get brighter as he closes his fist, every instance in the movie has him do this, no telegraphed fist lift, no glowing gem Thanos was clearly just going to grab him and Steve was doing what he could to stop him.

3). You said that Thanos does not take risks, ok which poses the bigger risk, fighting the Hulk with one infinity stone vs removing one 'human' while holding five infinity stones? If he isn't using the power stone during his fight with the Hulk good chance he isn't using it while he takes on what appears to be a plucky human looking for a last chance, he only looks surprised because he wasn't expecting Steve to be able to stop him from grabbing him.

I am not bothered by the theory perse like I said it's a twee and horrible theory that Steve is somehow worthy enough to not be affected by the stones and as I said his 'worthness' was better explained and shown in a events at the start of AOU but if it however turned out to be the case I'll be very dis-appointed. This push that the Gauntlet can be used as Thanos sees fit without closing his fist is annoying especially since their is no scene in the movie that shows this, even the snap scene has his fist closed once he completes the snap. Like I said it is shown in EVERY scene of the movie but outside the movies it is one of the over riding factors when shown in ANY media that has the Gauntlet being used, it is being used as a closed fist

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    @The Laughing Ma : Slow down video I posted, or one you did. Both clearly show that when he used Glove to toss Steve, he did not form fist. He had clearly separate fingers out visible... And his palm is shown in detail as open when he is using time stone at Vision. (6:13 in your video)
    As of why he is using stones through fist mostly? Maybe because he is not using them through knowledge, but through some primal instinct of his. (Like extension of his body through motion.)
    You can even look at 3:04 where he uses Power Stone at building around him (omni-directional use of power) while his hand is open, then he dynamically switches to reality stone by forming a fist.

Simple as that... Statement that: He has to form fist to use Gauntlet is invalidated with single example deviating. That's evil of logic.

12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Doom Patrol is here... NOW!

13. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Wow you really are stuck on this wrong idea about how he uses the Gauntlet? I mean using an example that is a cut too shot showing Thanos in the back ground half way through his attack on Steve and a second instances that actually has the scene of him closing his fist to activate the time stone cut from the video I provided as a counter to everything else that is shown in the movie that says otherwise and sticking SO rigidly when it's really kinda clear that you are wrong. I mean if it helps make your theory work fine stick to it.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  14. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    problem being the Multiple Personality Disorder (MPD) is a Hollywood fad
    a disorder which has been reclassified as Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID), and it's reclassified symptoms are nowhere near as spectacular as MPD

the only thing fascinating about it is that when it's not faked, it's usually induced by a suggestive medical staff

15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Well, it is not any bigger problem than Lord of The Rings having Dwarves, Dragons, ...
    It is used for story telling and character definition. You would otherwise said that it's problem of Hulk long time ago.

16. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super

come now... Hulk and LOTR are fantasies through and through, without pretending to bring even a smidge of reality,
    which is not how Mr. Shyamalan usually operates, and is not how he's using DID in the trilogy

17. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    While those 3 lovely movies are very close to being considered almost from real world. And while one tends to forget that they are still fantasy, Unbreakable man... Super Intelligence... Willpower giving super strength and resilience...
    Way Glass was made and bound them all together, it was made clear that They indeed are Comic Book like Super Heroes in world where there were, are and will be those who can be borderline considered Gods.

For me it is usually simple when I watch movie. It shows certain premise and as long as that premise is not in conflict with something in same movie or set of movies, I take it as alternative universe. That's why I enjoy so many different genres and sub genres of movies.

Btw. In Doom Patrol I linked above, one of protagonists has 64 personalities. (Not necessarily preexisting or self developed. It looks like they may have been "implanted".) For me, it is premise for character as any other.

And there is that operation mode. I kind of love it. In similar way I love "The Others" as "The Sixth Sense". "Signs" were even better than "War of the Worlds" due to really good suspense.
    - - - -

And as for Split personality vs. not feeling yourself and calling it in certain way... It is medical point of view which was different 20 years ago. Even more different 50 years from there. And which may be different in another 5 years.

Same way as that willpower and self suggestion effect is vastly under-explored and not well understood.

18. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Just watched Alita battle angel and it was good even tho initially thought its gonna be crap.

19. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Kinda looks a bit like Ghost In The Shell, is it?

20. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Can't say it does. Thing is that GiTS has very different theme than Ghost in the Shell movie which they translated poorly to big screen.
    On other side Alita holds to OVA very closely. And there where it deviates, it makes things better for 1st time viewer, and interesting for those who followed content over years.

As someone who likes both original contents I can say that: "While I care little for another Ghost in the Shell movie 're-remake', I can't wait to see next Battle Angel."

Anyway, thinking that they look alike... it's like saying that Expanse is similar to Altered Carbon.
    (And yes, you find way more similarities in between Ghost in the Shell and Altered Carbon. Than in between Alita and Ghost in the Shell.)