Version 419.17 WHQL - Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by DooGie, Feb 22, 2019.

1. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    I don't know if this has been posted here but there is a security setting in NVCP under desktop>developer tools which by default is off.

To enable the option will allow you to disable GPU performance counters unless admin credentials are provided. I don’t know why it’s set to the insecure variant by default… but the setting can be toggled in the NVIDIA Control Panel. On Windows, it’s Desktop then Enable Developer Settings then Manage GPU Performance Counters under Developer then Restrict access to the GPU counters to admin users only

Robbo9999 likes this.
  2. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Because there are software which is using them.

3. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Do you know of any popular ones?
    I first thought something like monitoring software or MSI AB would be affected but seems fine.

4. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Windows 10? Aren't they using perfcounters for Task Manager GPU info? In any case, the biggest reason why they are set to "insecure" by default is because there are no malware using this hole in the wild I guess.

5. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Task manager works, GPU%

6. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I thought the same for a while, thinking programs like GPUz wouldn't work, but they all work still with that Developer option restricted to "Admin Only".

7. Strange Times

Strange Times Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6600 XT
    r420 in april? :)

8. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    This might sound dumb, but I am Admin, so it wouldn't effect anyway, not a user account.

9. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Yeah, good point, I'm admin too. I'm thinking though the "admin only" restriction might imply that it would need to trip & pass the UAC aspect of Windows (rather than just allowing any old program that doesn't trip UAC to access the timers) - I get UAC prompts still even when I use an admin account. So, I think UAC is the barrier for protection in this instance, but I'm not sure on this.

EDIT: you could test it by creating a standard user account (non admin), and then seeing if you load sensor monitoring programs like GPUz & HWinfo. I do also remember reading the NVidia published detailed info on this security aspect (it's an external link buried somewhere in the driver release notes), and I think they only listed about 3 seperate programs where this was relevant, which were "developer related programs" that queried the timers, so maybe it's only applicable to security issues associated with use of those programs, I'm a bit confused about the exact nature of this security vulnerability so it may not even be related to sensor monitoring that we do of our GPUs using common tools like GPUz & HWInfo & Windows Task Manager.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  10. scaramonga

scaramonga Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 W/C
    Back to r399 hopefully by end of March :), and permanently. No move forward!

11. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    I actually reverted back to defaults. I was just curious if it affected any apps I use.

12. phixionsvk

phixionsvk Guest

GPU:
    GeForce 1060 / 6 GB
    Hi.
    I have a problem with installing these drivers. Installer says there is no compatible hardware. Laptop MSI PS63 with 1050 Max-Q.
    Can anyone help what to do? Do I need to edit some inf files to install these?

Hardware identification:
    PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1C92&SUBSYS_126C1462&REV_A1
    PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1C92&SUBSYS_126C1462
    PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1C92&CC_030200
    PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1C92&CC_0302

Thanks

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I've had gpu's pass all those tests and fail on Elder scrolls. different loads, different failure types.

14. Dj_ALeX

Dj_ALeX Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Gaming X
    Latest info is talking about a newer version 419.35 some time today so keep an eye on that guys! :)

15. peppercute

peppercute Guest

GPU:
    Msi 2080Ti TRIO
    endbase likes this.

16. Dj_ALeX

Dj_ALeX Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Gaming X
  17. peppercute

peppercute Guest

GPU:
    Msi 2080Ti TRIO
    will be later

endbase likes this.
  18. Dj_ALeX

Dj_ALeX Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Gaming X
    It seems they fixed APEX LEGENDS bugs and some other stuff.. will see soon i suppose!