Samsung Smart TVs and Smartphones get McAfee security software

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    And that's a reason not to buy a Samsung device anymore.

Order_66, Neo Cyrus and GSDragoon like this.
  3. FM57

FM57 Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 2070
    - Samsung is not very confident about its technology if it needs added security on top of their own layers. I get it when it is about Windows, but Tizen ???
    - Is it the same MCAfee who sees the Bitcoin at US$ 1M in a few years ? hmmm...

4. dopus

dopus Member

GPU:
    asus gtx1070
    I thought those tv apps was approved, and checked by Samsung before we are able to download those on samsung tvs.
    Probably no way to uninstall that crappy mcafee software.
    Sounds like bloatware to me.

5. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    How to debloat a TV ? :D

Embra and fantaskarsef like this.
  6. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I'd love them to offer the same TVs they got without the "smart TV" function... just basic settings and choosing which input port to show... I'd need them to run as presentation displays mainly, all of that "smart" TV stuff is bloatware already :D

GSDragoon and WhiteLightning like this.
  7. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    The only one i like it Netflix , the rest is garbage lol

fantaskarsef likes this.
  8. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    Good thing I buy LG

9. Stairmand

Stairmand Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 Aorus Maste
    I think thats a little unfair. On mine, the BBC, ITV players are all pretty decent. Plex works perfectly albeit a little slow with large libraries. Amazon is OK.

They do seem to contain a lot of eastern european and Russian apps though. It would be nice to add some localisation in the store.

10. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    He hasn't had anything to do with the company for years.

11. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    An anti-virus for a TV, really??? What´s next? Mcafee software for the fridge and toaster?... This is getting so silly...

12. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Sadly, it's not. IoT brings a lot of zombies for botnets to be easily exploited. I'm surprised we didn't see crypto mining malware on TVs, since that silly "smart TV" stuff is pratically unprotected against somebody knowing their way around the software.

e.g. https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...t-botnet-capable-of-surviving-device-reboots/

13. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Honestly though a company like Samsung that built the OS and the entire ecosystem that runs on there TV's should not need a third party. This frankly is a weird direction versus actually hardening the OS.

14. FookDat

FookDat Guest

GPU:
    6950XT RD 2889/2498
    Symantec, Norton and McAfee do not even run that software on their computers! It slows your PC down to a crawl. Virus software does not work.
    A new virus comes out every 3 seconds or less. They must detect it, viruses are not just detected!!!!! A virus definition file must be created after researching the virus, no guarantee the virus definition is even built correctly in the first place. Then it must be approved, uploaded to the server, then your pc must download it and install it.... all in 3 seconds.

IF you want to be safe from viruses. Install two accounts, 1 is an admin user and the other is a basic user. Basic user does not have rights to install, in turn, viruses dont have rights to install because they use the active person on the PCs credentials. No rights, no install. If you want to install hold shift and right click file, run as administrator.

Used to work for all 3 companies and this is how the cookie crumbles. No viruses or spyware in over 15 years including over 25,000 PCs.

0blivious and Noisiv like this.
  15. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    in most countries... anything branded SAMSUNG, (lol).... they would go for it.... including underwear (no trailer yet).........

........and most importantly if these are "corning gorilla glass 6" ;)

--------------------------------------
    Most smartphones fans do not understand about hardware specs (Processor, RAM, ROM, firmware version,...etc)....
    --------------------------------------

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019

16. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    I mean let's not hail Sony as the crowning pinnacle of an excellent TV OS, though they do sound better than this nonsense. While they do use basic android they do (until version 7.0, still waiting on the delayed roll-out of 8.0) serve ads directly to your home screen (which you can disable the service for) and include a multitude of bundled sony apps that you cannot remove.

Noisiv likes this.
  17. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    i guess 50-60-80-90" monitors will be a thing soon soon

18. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    McAfee is nowadays owned by some private "investment" company with suspiciously high assets. It's could be connected to USA government.

19. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    As if McAfee would catch a malware or virus these days...Only thing it catches are Indian scammers that use it to extort money.

20. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    The IoT craze will put high-risk security holes/vectors into anyone's network. As the article says, cross-device protection is offered, and people are made aware of this.
    Thus, in a way, they open a new market where to preinstall, and later on sell more antivirus licenses.
    Future may seem bright to some, but to a minority, future is bleak as night's fog.
    "Hey, let's watch a movie and order pizza!
    Can't, my smarTV+smartphone want to renew the antivirus licence, and won't work without them !"