Microsoft Is Planning to run XBox One games on your Windows PC

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 28, 2019.

1. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    I would never be satisfied with medium graphics in 720p with unstable fps. Also the lack of control options, graphics settings and locked FOV would make me flip the hell out.

mbk1969 likes this.
  2. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I want to see how they will deal with ESRAM cache.

3. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I am with you there. Emulation takes alot more hardware to run it correctly. Plus with Windows 10 like you said can all ready Stream Xbox-one games natively. Makes no sense here. Also you have to deal with the game's optimization on top of the emulation layer which will add more usage of the hardware and if the emulation isn't up to par then there will be severe performance issues.

4. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    It makes absolute sense from the point of MS, as they can lock down games (or at least a portion of them) not only on their xbox, but on PC as well. If a dev can release a game to PC with no extra cost, why wouldn't they. They would already have to pay for xbox version, so expanding their market with more customers and for free is great deal. Plus some console exclusives can arrive on PC as well.

On the other hand it has a potential to make it terrible, and knowing MS it's probably what will happen. As controls are made for gamepad and no kb+m, no mods, no tweaks, no options no nothing. Plus it will be probably locked to windows store as the only distribution point, with astronomical prices and zero discounts on anything ever.

So I just hope that regular games would still exist and make economical sense, as otherwise there is probably no reason to own a gaming PC.

5. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    RIP Nvidia, consoles are AMD. :D

airbud7 likes this.
  6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I think what MS should do is ditch Xbox entirely and have "Xbox OS". OEMs who want to pre-install "XOS" need to meet certain hardware specs in order to sell the device on the market, which is to make sure even the worst system can still fluidly play games. The OS would be totally binary-compatible with Windows, so, regular Windows users could install "Xbox" games. The games could then detect which OS is in use, where if it detects Windows, it'll grant players alternative graphics settings so the game can be played on crappier hardware (or, enable bonus features like RTX, FreeSync, graphical mods, etc).
    In doing this, it removes MS from the equation as a hardware company; the only hardware they'd need to produce is the Kinect and gamepads. With a bunch of other OEMs producing "Xbox hardware", people get to choose which style suits them best or what suits their budget. Systems could then be graded based on their resolution and framerate capabilities.

Basically, the idea of this would be for "console enthusiasts". It's for people who want a premium gaming experience but don't want to learn about building their own PC or deal with "plain ol' Windows". That would live Playstation as the "mainstream console", and Nintendo products for casual gamers, parties, and kids. It might help reduce (or eliminate) arbitrary exclusives while giving everyone a good reason to pick one system over another.

Well, I can dream anyway...

Ugh just the though of hearing their shrill screeching makes my ears bleed... But, Xbox already supports KB/M, so their tears at this point have already flowed in a new saltwater river.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  7. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    can we even call this emulation? current gen consoles are basically midrange gaming laptops, the xbox in particular running some form of windows 10 and directx, this segmentation is nonsensical to begin with, so im glad its coming to an end

now whatever games come to consoles first, can be run decently on a pc, while avoiding the myriad stupid launchers(origin, socialclub, uplay) with an xbox id instead, just sign me up already!

8. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Native Xbox games run x86 on the NT kernel already. No emulation would be needed at this point.

I could see this requiring the game pad though, and requiring certain specs to run the game at possibly 3 different levels. Xbox One grade, Xbox One X downscaled grade, Xbox One X 4k grade(low, medium, high).

But this is more proving Microsoft is turning Xbox into a service, and I do welcome this no problem.

XP-200 and schmidtbag like this.
  9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    A lot of that sounds much like a very brief summary of what I wrote haha.

vbetts likes this.
  10. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    But the direction of migration is from consoles to PCs, and PCs are not AMD only.

warlord and fantaskarsef like this.

11. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Great minds think alike! :)

Render path is still DX11 or DX12, which Nvidia cards support.

12. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Somewhat true, but not fully. According to this logic, PC gaming needed to be dead since PS4 / XB1 release, since already then AMD has had consoles in their portfolio.

Solfaur likes this.
  13. Stoly

Stoly Member

BTW this is NOT emulation. I guess this is the same people that call WINE an emulator, but lets not go there. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

The PC will be able to run XboxOne games natively,
    Actually, since xbox games run on a framework, it should be possible to make xbox360 and even xbox games run on the PC with "little effort".

14. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Show some respect to Grandmama Microsoft.

Undying likes this.
  15. MBTP

MBTP Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX590
    I'm a little worried.
    Just remember guys, for any of the consoles right now, to be able to play online you basically need to pay for the service, XBLive, PSN, etc...
    I know that some games like fortnite can be played, at least on Playstation without PSN.
    I believe, first it will be free, then gamepass style, then some strange unexplicable problems will start to show on steam and the other stores, then suddenly options will be denied...
    Will MS at least implement some sort of pre-config options on the Xbox UI style, like low, med, high, ultra settings? I thought it was intented when they started to put o MS games very distinct spec requirements. If i can recall gears 4 was a very detailed spec requirement for each resolution and frame rate.
    I really hope a windows gaming version to be launched in the near future, only the essential gaming features running on the background, plus the Spy, ops... Cortana and all of it's "glory".

16. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Well, I'm mixed about this. While it will be cool to play xbone exclusives, maybe some devs will choose to use this feature for all their multi-platform releases. And besides, the best exclusives seem to be on the PS4 anyway...

17. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
  18. Asgardi

Asgardi Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti OC
    Xbox runs a forked virtualized version of Windows 10 anyway (even the build versions and release schedules match) and Xbox is basically made from pc hardware. There is no emulation needed? Just the Xbox software bits modified for more diverse hardware? So what is the problem? More choise for developers and publishers which should be a good thing. If this ducks and people won't buy the games, then it will be abandoned model quickly anyway. More options and competition is good. Bad ones will die anyway.

19. MorganX

MorganX Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3080 Ti
    The only problem I see is that all of my PC games that are Xbox Ports [Forza 3 & 4, and Gears 4] crash a lot, the Forzas always and almost instantly, with overclocked memory. They need to fix this.

20. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    You mean gamers? :cool: