Review: ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Omega (w/ 16-core Core i9 7960X)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Great review Boss. There are some hot cpus on that platform without deliding ( 9960x fixed that problem with solder Tim ) , nevertheless the performance it's great. The mobo fell short on the pci express department in my opinion ( should it have at least 4 pci express @ 8x8x8x8 )

3. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Yeah, I was battling that idea in the review as well. From the mindset of 'hey, I pay for it, so I want as many PCI slots as possible' I agree. However realistically, who still actually uses four PCIe slots with SLI and Crossfire dying a slow death? Wouldn't you rather have extras on the board like an extra M2 (just an example) slot over a 4th PCIe slot?

rl66, chispy and fantaskarsef like this.
  4. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Sure is a conundrum , some people will have the need to run a few cards on those slots , example 2xRTX 2080Ti in sli + 1 Areca Raid controller 1680 + Sound Card , etc ... or for WR benchmarks 4x sli or 4x cfx still a thing ( but we are in a minority , but still relevant today ), same for mining and other stuff that requires as many pci express slot as a mobo can fit :) i can think of a 100 set ups to fill those pci express slot , otherwise people can make choices based on their needs. Overall great mobo , i like it , i like it a lot.

Hilbert Hagedoorn likes this.

5. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Indeed... With the multi GPU death for mainstream consumer, and the Audio equipment that rise in quality on the latest board, there is less need in PCIe slot.
    I still have my twin xeon 2011V2 somewhere in my garage... 10 PCIe slot X16 and the missing lanes were provided by extra chip... It was another era :)

jura11, Hilbert Hagedoorn and chispy like this.
  6. Bhaal

Bhaal Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I can't find an excuse to buy a 2066 setup. Motherboard aside, a 9800X is like 130-150 euro more than the 9900k. I'd like a Rampage VI Extreme Omega for a 9900k and i'm sold.

7. xrodney

xrodney Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 7900 XTX
    Perhaps, but M.2 can be as well used within PCI-e card that can have way better cooling and give another option
    This would not be 1st mobo where primary PCI-e slot or NIC can die, in which case its better to have some spare PCI-e.

HEDT mobo with only 3 full PCI-e slots at almost 700 eur is pretty much unacceptable for me.

8. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi HH

3 PCI_E slots is not enough, personally I would want at least 5-6 PCI_E slots, 7 I think is more than enough for many people

Most of boards with more PCI_E slots are used for GPU rendering than for breaking the records

Due this I stayed away from X299 and X399, because finding board with 6-7 PCI_E slots is just too hard, X299 Sage is only option to get but still expected few other boards

More M2 slots, 2 M2 slots I think is more than enough etc

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

9. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Pff... 10GbE.. Old tech. :p

Thanks for the review boss! That mobo barely break a sweat with a 7960X@4.5GHz which Intel didn't supply because they are cheapstakes.

10. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I wholeheartedly agree. Very few of us enthusiasts have a need for more than two PCIE slots these days and for people who need those this is obviously not the board for them. A lack of high end mATX board for Ryzen still bothers me to no end. I really hope when Zen2 Ryzen lands later this year we get some high end mATX boards.

11. MADEVIL

MADEVIL Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080Ti
    Nice looking board and as was the Rampage Extreme VI that it replaced. Would be interesting to see if the Omega refresh offers much performance over the previous. With the high cost of all these new X299 Intel driven boards and CPU's I'll be milking my X99 R5E10 a bit longer.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    Solfaur likes this.
  12. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Can't help but look at my Rampage V and 5820K, which are hitting the 4 year mark now. On one hand, I'm surprised that I still didn't upgrade and on the other, scared when looking at today's prices. It's not like I payed in 2015 was cheap (on the contrary), but I don't know, I guess I slipped out the high-end market, it just seems too much now (especially if I were to add a 2080Ti to replace my 1080Ti).

Anyway... enough of my rant. Great review and great looking and performing piece of hardware. I still hold to my belief, that when it comes to motherboards, ASUS is #1.

jura11, Koniakki and fantaskarsef like this.
  13. Biffo

Biffo Active Member

GPU:
    ati
    Not enough real world performance diff to win me over from Threadripper plus the extreme costs in doing so.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019