Reviews: GeForce GTX 1660 Ti testing Galore - MSI, ASUS and Palit

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 22, 2019.

1. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    What a comeback!!! Just wow.

You on the other hand...

• 1. never heard of Palit GameRock cards
    • 2. pricing depends heavily on country/retailer

Yet you talk about them as "probably the cheapest". Stop embarrassing yourself, please.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  2. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Most PNY cards sold here are reference PCB cards with good warranty.

He knows nothing about Nvidia is what it is.

airbud7 and metagamer like this.
  3. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Seems to be the case, head in the sand in this regard. Bit annoying talking about how something he's never heard of is probably the cheapest option. Why do people talk about something they openly admit not knowing about? Doesn't look clever.

4. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Guest

GPU:
    x
    I'm just really sad that AMD announces price drops for a 2016 product instead of competing like they should

5. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    That price drop for 1 card from limited retailers that is out of stock most places.

6. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    To be fair though, why spend time developing a new generation of mid level card that's going to only be a small performance upgrade? The 1660ti is nice and all, but if you already have say a 1070 and the 56 can outpace the 1070 already, what else are you going to develop?

Undying and Embra like this.
  7. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    something around 2070 performance at 1660ti prices .....:D

8. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Guest

GPU:
    x
    huh? Vega is a horrible architecture. using HBM2 is not sustainable and doesn't lead to any profits.
    with the new 7nm process node they can easily release a much better product than Polaris. Navi is a big change for AMD and should be quite different from previous GCNs

RX 580/590 are getting cut, allegedly.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2019
  9. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Aren't they bargain bucket already?

10. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Guest

GPU:
    x
    the RX 590 doesn't look great vs the 1660Ti, in some regions the pricing is basically identical while the 1660Ti is much more efficient and faster.
    for the RX 580, it's definitely a good deal now, but we already know there's GTX 1660 and 1650 which will probably under-cut the RX 580 as well.

11. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Vega did what it needed to do. Compete against the 1070 and 1080. Vega had a horrible launch, and then on top of that mining craze, but that doesn't make it a horrible architecture. Scales quite well from low power mobile devices, to full high power desktop applications. Being used in low power APU, mobile APU, desktop APU, on the same substrate as an Intel CPU, in Mac pro version models(Not the Mac Pro), desktop video cards, and GPU based data accelerators. Not sure how that's horrible.

carnivore likes this.
  12. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    AMD has announced up coming price cuts for both the 580 ($199) and 590 ($229).
    Rumors are the NAVI may be released as soon as July. We will see.

13. hijodeosiris

hijodeosiris Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT
    It´s horrible just as he has stated in pretty muhc every single comment he has written about AMD, just simply because in his mind is not an Nvidia card that consumes less than his direct competition at a lower price.... and has Nvidia slapped on it.

HardwareCaps said:
    I can tell you why I will never get a Vega GPU. 2 things: Noise and heat.
    the Vega cards are well known to be extremely loud and produce quite a lot of heat. not something I would want even if the performance is solid.

EXTREMELY LOUD
    QUITE A LOT OF HEAT

So basically take a fact and supersize it; BOOM!

You have a hardware caps comment; not hard to follow to be honest

14. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Vega 56 performance card at an official $269 on 7nm with lower heat and power consumption would be nice. Would also be nice if it was just shy of vega 64 performance at the same price point or say $299, with again 7nm with lower heat and power consumption then current vega 56.

There is a lot that could be asked for. I don't think anyone would br upset with inbetween vega 56 and 64 performance for around $300 and less heat and power consumption then current AMD offerings.

Not everyone has a 1070 or up performance card, and not everyone is interested in paying 400 and up to get it.

15. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I'm not sure what you're trying to get at exactly, but lets calm down on the pointing fingers posting style here and not try to start any flame wars...
    Vega 64 performance isn't that far off of Radeon VII though, and there isn't a huge performance gap between the Vega 56 and Vega 64, and while I do agree the lower heat and power usage would be nice but that won't happen until AMD get off GCN.

Navi though should help to remedy some issues Vega had hopefully, heat, power, and cost to name a few.

16. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Something that will take same performance spot while being much cheaper to produce.

Here's the funny thing. When people say that AMD makes almost nothing on Radeon 7 due to 16GB of HBM costing around $320. (Which anyone can track down to original source in time of Vega 64 release as "Worst case Scenario Guess" expecting that 2x4GB HBM2 could cost up to $160.)
    But, what would Vega 56/64 manufacturing cost be like, if just 2x4GB HBM2 did cost $160 even today? 2x4GB HBM2 likely costs under $100 now. Otherwise we would not see Vega 56 even at that promotional price.

Navi should take spot of everything in range of Vega 64 and under, just so AMD can keep reasonable profit margins. AMD promised through words of Lisa Su, that we are going to get updates. And that's one person in AMD I trust.

airbud7, HardwareCaps and vbetts like this.
  17. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Guest

GPU:
    x
    using HBM based GPU on any mass market product right now, is basically throwing money away.

I highlighted the key words there. was talking obviously about my personal opinion as I really care about heat output and noise.
    even if we disgard these issues. as I said, HBM2 is not viable for a mass market product. it makes no sense. it is well known that AMD barely makes any money out of Vega. the Crypto Craze actually helped AMD a lot to regain some of the losses from Vega.

also trying to portray me as a Nvidia fanboy makes little sense, just go to any RTX news and see my comments.
    let me tell you something, I was very blunt about what I think about the RTX failure.
    same goes for Intel.

18. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Okay no response for the second situation anymore! Back on topic!

Back on topic for me now!

For Vega they had to use HBM, GDDR5 or GDDR6 would have used too much power and add more heat to the already high heat producing Vega core.

19. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Guest

GPU:
    x
    Well the failure in my eyes is the fact that they got to this situation in the first place. when we are talking about high end parts especially, the memory while consuming decent amount of power doesn't consume as much relative to the core itself. Nvidia can scale very efficiently their CUDA cores with GDDR memory and stay in a reseasonable range of TDP. that's not true for AMD.
    I think Polaris was a great step in the right direction, if you look at what AMD focused it was first and foremost efficiency, which I felt was the right design choice. this is why Polaris looks far more competitive.
    then came Vega which was the opposite, we can't get good efficiencies so let's use super rare and expensive memory that is clearly not ready for mass production for consumer product. that's a poor choice IMO

airbud7 likes this.
  20. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    The big issue is GCN itself is very power hungry, and these cores being based on GCN isn't helping at all. Polaris most likely can't have anymore cores tapped out, so this is most likely why we're stuck with Polaris being mid ranged over high end right now.

airbud7 likes this.