AMD drops price on Radeon RX Vega 56 to Battle GeForce GTX 1660 Ti

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Vanilla bud, Vanilla...

2. Andy Watson

Andy Watson Master Guru

GPU:

He didn't have an answer because his own logic was faulty in the first place, so he changed the subject and hoped we would not notice.

FAIL.

Fanboys are so keen on putting down the opposition they often get hoisted by their own petards when trying to argue.

1st law of anyone buying a video card is that it does not matter who makes it, just think about yourself and what you need and can you get that bargain of the decade and will it blow your mind because your 4 year old card is starting to get an asthma attack pushing pixels in latest games... sorta like a bulldog with a chesty cough crossed with a linebacker....

:)

3. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    Nope, not even the reference model is hot and loud. I have a Vega 56 with a flashed bios to Vega 64 and it is neither hot nor loud. Now, I can make the fan run faster by increasing the speed in Wattman and unlocking the power limit to 150% but even then, it is not all that noticeable for what it is.

4. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Guest

GPU:
    x
    seems like it's limited to a few units and in the US it's already sold out(only a few were in stock)......

Xtreme1979 likes this.

5. Andy Watson

Andy Watson Master Guru

GPU:
  6. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Those are the same games I got with my RX-590. Why people might chose a 1660 card for the same price with 25% less vram and no multi-GPU capability beats me. nVidia purposefully hobbled the 1660 just like the 1060. And no, I do not wish I had waited for this for Vega 56...because then I'd have had an RX-480 to dispose of...! Such a pity that reviewers don't do SLI/X-fire/multi-GPU reviews anymore. Difficult to understand, actually, from an enthusiast's gaming site *cough*

7. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Less then 1% people use sli/crossfire. I am one of them, and i totally understand not spending the money and time reviewing them. You can still find people benchmarking individually games with sli/crossfire.

As to your original post, rx 580 has nothing on the 1660 ti, and the lower amount of ram doesn't matter in any scenario (don't say i am wrong unless you got proof to back it up, good luck as i know it doesn't exist) so obviously people who are prepared yo pay for a 1660 ti price point will buy it.

What is with this forum all of the sudden and its "MOAR MEMORY!!!!" Mentality rather then, oh... I don't know...caring about something that actually benefits performance or new visual capabilities?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
    Keitosha, Maddness, alanm and 2 others like this.
  8. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Guest

GPU:
    x
    AMD still says Navi is coming in 2019..... so it will come. the question is when

9. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    [​IMG]

Keitosha likes this.
  10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Arctic Cooling as an HSF for nearly every reference card.... In fact, have an Arctic Cooling Twin Turbo II on my RX470....it was on my HD7950 before hand. Had a GTX660 that had the same cooler on it.

My HD4850 had the single slot reference cooler. Under load, the card would get hot and shutdown.

Doesn't matter for me at this point. My GTX1660Ti will be here by Wednesday... In fact, it's already traveled from Cali to Tn....depending on FedEx, it could show up as early as Monday.

11. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    prices did not go down in the u.s shops?

12. screwtech02

screwtech02 Master Guru

GPU:
    6900 XTU
    ROFL, they all went UP on Newegg..... $400+ for a 56, even more for a 64..

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Aside from the rare sale, they've been $400+....

14. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    this is bull crap
    no price drop its a promotion
    no kissing just amd screwing everyone again....what was I thinking to even think about getting one.
    reminder to self don't buy amd

like what McDonald's did when the lady who burnt her pussy sued them

airbud7 likes this.
  15. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Guest

GPU:
    x
    I really hope not... if that's the case Navi is going to fight against 7nm Nvidia gpus.... and it doesn't end well

16. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Vega56 is the better value if u can find them in the same price, undervolt it and voila, especially if u can find aftermarket cooling.

17. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
  18. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    ok ok maybe I over reacted but still
    2060 is the better card in the real price range(350 -400)

Keitosha likes this.
  19. circeseye

circeseye Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6800xt oc
    this whole cheaper 56's was such a load of crap...it was for ONE blower 56 for a day...thats it...and the price isnt something new at all....the blower 56's have been showing up every now and then for a day or so under 300 for the last couple months on newegg

20. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    What you wrote is true, but it is to be expected. Polaris is around for 2.5 years already. GTX 1660Ti is around 31% more expensive than RX-580. Therefore one can expect adequate performance improvement. Actually it looks like GTX 1660Ti performs closer to 40% faster against reference RX-580. Therefore it would be like 36% against currently available models.
    Which is good. Because usually we get worse performance / $ as price increases. (In this case spending more is worth it.)

Fun fact: GTX 1660Ti has 22.4% larger die area, but only 15.8% more transistors in comparison to RTX-580... while being 12nm (TSMC) and RX-580 14nm (GloFo).