AMD drops price on Radeon RX Vega 56 to Battle GeForce GTX 1660 Ti

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 22, 2019.

1. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Finally price wars due to heavy competition in the mid range , now it's the time for upgrade , go go go ...

2. ryoohki360

ryoohki360 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte/GTX660TI/2GIG
    It's cool but there's no avail, not in canada. The cheapest available here is 650$CAD while the 1660ti is 350$

3. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
    OnnA likes this.
  4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I almost ordered it.....except I've been burnt on Newegg mail in rebates in the past.....and I simply hate blower style coolers on graphics cards. Not in the least bit regretting my decision though.

chispy likes this.

5. Xtreme1979

Xtreme1979 Guest

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    What exactly does that have to do with your previous statement or my response?

You claim AMD "promised" Navi would launch in H2'19.... Navi is expected to launch around October 2019. October is in H2'19.

If AMD fails to launch Navi this year, they might as well exit the discrete graphics market.

7. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    If Navi was close we would have heard more than "lol maybe something will happen" by now from AMD. Just the rumour that it will match a 2070 killed the hype for me, hopefully that turns out to be false.

8. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    Gotta pay that kanuckistan import tax,

but in all seriousness memory express seems to have a few priced low
    https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX70282

9. dudecat64

dudecat64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock rx 6750xt
    Yeah vega 56 is still way above the gtx 1660ti prices right now on newegg.com. Some gtx 1660ti are 289.99 while vega56 is 399.99.... so yeah looks like demand for vega has driven prices up again.

10. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Great idea from AMD... I just figured that today (as price is updated) Vega 56 and RX 590 have the same price...
    If you like AMD wich one would you chose? lol

11. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    ??? ... the bundle is free here (with or without the game it is the same price)

warlord likes this.
  12. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    That's way offside the current prices of V56 in Sweden as well though, I just checked.

You've been able to get V56 for far cheaper than your listed prices since, at least, before Black Friday last year. I know, since I've been keeping track for my own intended purchase.

Cheapest V56 options are ~450 SEK more expensive than the cheapest 1660 Ti as of today (granted, I wouldn't recommend reference cooler models at any price), though V56 is the faster card and assuming you're interested in at least one of the bundled games I'd argue it's the better deal right now.

That said the 1660 Ti is for sure the most compelling Turing card, even if essentially getting a 1070 $50 cheaper 3 years later isn't a huge step forward in GPU development it's certainly better than what we've gotten before.
    Good call, the AMD reference coolers are atrocious! :p

13. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Well, it is not here free. Because a cheap store providing me a Vega 56 with 330 eur, is not giving me these three games. But another one with 450 eur gives them. So no, it is a fiasco. AMD should not care about partnership. Should care about customer service and satisfaction.

14. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    I'm sorry to say that I'm not interested in any of those 3 games (don't get me started as to why), but it doesn't matter, I wouldn't be happy with either card, hence why my 7nm waiting game continues.

15. GamerNerves

GamerNerves Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Nitro+
    Desperation is strong on the Nvidia side: RTX is a failure, which means popularity damage, profits are low since Turing chips are too large, playing catch up by including hardware scheduler and other low level API stuff only now with Turing, driver suite is still behind AMD, the effects of limited VRAM are about to be revealed, flagship product price is ridiculous which means more popularity damage, GimpWorks still ongoing with Nvidia tampered titles, etc. Now don't get triggered, the former was just exaggeration.

I don't mean one bit that GTX 1660 Ti is a bad product, but it's not a miraculous one. It is just a decent performer with a rather low power consumption. Nonetheless, memory is too low and price should be even tad lower. RX Vega 56 on the other hand can be tweaked and made to be a fine product. This is not a good basis of course in a wide market, but when we are on a forum like this, all credibility goes out of the window if someone comments that "you need to tweak, no good!". It is okay if you admit that you don't want to do it or don't know how, but the fact is that the RX Vega 56 has that 8 Gb memory, all the great GCN features for low level APIs and some very handy performance features like rapid packed math as an example. We see Resident Evil 2 utilizing various Radeon technologies with no performance penalty on GeForce cards and only better performance on Radeon ones.

To add, I really don't mean that Nvidia as a company is desperate, rather the fanboys are like always, but what bothers me is that there seems to be no middle ground when having discussion about the competition. It's either AMD falls or Nvidia is greedy and bad. The truth is there is no real winner here and competition is fairly tight. AMD still offers the best bang for the buck which is a big deal, while Nvidia owns the very high end. The middle range, or I'd say slightly above the middle range, is now a tough call. On the other hand you don't want that 6 Gb memory, but then you get more compact and in any case lower power consumption with the GTX 1660 Ti. I really don't know which I would buy if I was debating that.

Anyways, any shine about these releases fades away when negativity, undeserved praise or false claims gets high. It's the same as "hype" which kills any upcoming video game even before release. It seems people are not going to settle for toned down discussion or more accurately for the middle ground. Things are always either super bad or a miracle is happening. Needless to say, this kind of behavior is retarded, and yes, retarded is just the right word. You come to think this when you see these various hardware reviewers being rather negative. Almost any source tells you that today's GPU market is bad and the offered products are overpriced. This is far from the truth which means a major reality check is needed widely on the whole internet level. Spare your words when we actually get something that is bad or similarly when we get something great.

carnivore likes this.

16. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    That's fair, on both counts.

Just saying that V56 is far closer to 1660Ti prices than your post implied, and have been for quite some time.

Honestly which one I'd recommend for someone looking for a card in that price range would depend on several factors.

If the games matter and/or it's for an enthusiast or someone who enjoys tinkering I'd definitely recommend V56.

If it's for someone looking for a pure plug-n-play solution or who's primarily playing esports-friendly titles it's the 1660Ti all the way.

At least there's more choices now, never a bad thing. :)

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I know. I had an HD4850 and HD7950, both with reference coolers..... Had to replace coolers on both cards to be able to use them.

18. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Can relate. :(

I owned a reference 6950 previously and while I were quite happy with the card overall the cooler was a constant source of annoyance. It wasn't my first AMD card but it was my first reference cooler, after that experience I've insisted on custom coolers for any AMD cards. Back when I started building Wintel PCs, 2004 or so, it was pretty common to be able to get decent third party coolers for reference cards but that market have been dead for a while now. For air cooling I should say, not touching water though that seems to have largely taken over the DIY market today.

19. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Update Your profile ;)
    As for Vega 56 is a nice deal for sure (even without Games)
    Fingers crossed to have Samsung HBM2 -> Then Flash to Vega 64, give some UV and OC for HBM and You've got a nice GPU to play games (@ 1440p).

PS.
    3h of FC5 Yesterday, HWinfo64 shows ~60tW GPU Board average (GPU/HBM2+Board) at ~45deg lol :D
    Also HBCC can give You even 16GB of HBM cache.....This will last for a looong time without bootleneck IMO.

20. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    IMhO Navi will lauch with ZEN2 at 7.7.2019 (Se7eN :D is the magic number this Yas)

Deleted member 213629 likes this.