Metro Exodus

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by scatman839, Jun 11, 2017.

1. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    30-40 fps average on lowest settings 1080p on my gtx960m

I can live with this.

2. Fathom216

Fathom216 Guest

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia 980 GTX 4gb
    DLSS still unusable for me because of the HDR + DLSS gamma bug, have no idea how to fix it or if they plan on fixing it

Can anyone report how updated 4k DLSS compares to shading rate? Is it sharper than 0.7?

3. Shataan

Shataan Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090ti
    Why pray tell is DLSS resolution specific? Anyone?

This sounds promising:

"For Metro Exodus, we’ve got an update coming that improves DLSS sharpness and overall image quality across all resolutions that didn’t make it into day of launch. We’re also training DLSS on a larger cross section of the game, and once these updates are ready you will see another increase in quality. Lastly, we are looking into a few other reported issues, such as with HDR, and will update as soon as we have fixes."

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  4. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    DLSS training and further improvements (HDR). Sounds lovely.

5. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    STUTTERING PROBLEM CAUSE HAS BEEN IDENTIFIED!

After extensive testing, I figured out the culprit for the stuttering issue. It's having hairworks enabled! This explains why I noticed it regardless of whether I was using DX12 or DX11. At first I thought it was DX12, but after an hour of testing, it was clear that it wasn't. Although DX12 makes it worse somehow, which I suspect is because the DX12 render path isn't as efficient with resource management as the DX11 path so the frametime variance is even worse under DX12. Having an entity which has HW effects in your view for the first time causes the game to temporarily stutter. I think this is because the effect has to be loaded or rendered the closer you get to the entity. But once it's been loaded, it stays in memory and does not manifest until the next reload.

This explains why having multiple Watchmen on the scene caused stuttering. Before I came to my conclusion, I tested with HT on and off, threaded optimization on/off/auto, G-sync on/off, different drivers etcetera. Only disabling hairworks made the problem completely go away. And this is unfortunate because HW significantly improves the IQ of mutants, animals and humans. You don't understand how often HW is used, until you turn it off.

The devs need to optimize hairworks further, because these stutters are very jarring to an otherwise smooth game.

6. Party Poison

Party Poison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090

Keep in mind that this issue is for you, Im not getting this at all. Its not a global hairworks thing.

Here's about an hours gameplay, Ultra setting, RTX high and HW. I don't show the HW setting in the menu but its on, Its very noticeable on the watchmen that its on.

Its just a crap stream so I could show the game to my cousin one night, Msi is on for a bit at the start for those interested in fps.

Should also point out that at 1:00:49 im just pissing about with the ansel greenscreen, At the beach and Catzilla etc.

cerebus23 and BangTail like this.
  7. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Exclusives, no user reviews and no account sharing are anti-consumer practices.

Actually, the epic store is worse all around:

[​IMG]

8. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    lol... wish lists? screenshot capture? broadcasting? item trading? forums?? user reviews? Chat?

Seriously, if you need the Steam wish list, I don't even know what to say. Screenshot capture? If you have any savvy, you use MSIA or something similar to capture screenshots. Item trading? lol. Forums? Yeah, pure cancer. User reviews? come on!!! Groups? Ever heard of Discord?

I'll give Steam the mods but there's no mods for Metro anyway so it's a moot point in this case. Guides... who reads guides anymore? Acount sharing is nice, I'll give them that.

EGS is a fairly new platform and some of those features are being worked on. None of them are game breaking. None of them should be stopping a "Metro fan" from boycotting the game. If anything, buying the game on EGS means the devs get more money, so the fans should be happy about buying the game on EGS, rather than Steam.

Shataan likes this.
  9. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Just because those features do not matter to you, does not mean they don't matter.
    If they truly were inconsequential, people would not be making lists of the features Steam offers that Epic doesn't. People wouldn't be using them as points of interest to demonstrate why they feel Steam is better.

If the "forums" are so terrible, why are so many Metro players using Steam's forums for support, questions and discussions? Oh, because Epic doesn't have any of it's own.

Again. Understand, you don't have to agree... but at least understand, that other people may find features that you dislike... necessary.

Kolt, lucidus, AsiJu and 2 others like this.
  10. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Yes. I get an email when a game on my wishlist is on sale. GOG and Steam has it. It's a very useful feature for me. If you "don't even know what to say", then perhaps you should not say anything?

MSIA does not save my screenshots online.

I'm not sure if you're trolling me right now or not :-/ If you are, the joke's on me I guess.

The only place where people should be happy buying games from is GOG.

Also, if the devs make more money on EGS, then why isn't the game cheaper? Less expenses means a cheaper product. Oh yeah, that's right. The devs don't make any more money on EGS. The publisher does.

sapo_joe, lucidus, AsiJu and 3 others like this.

11. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    By all means, carry on enjoying the Steam forums and the amazing screenshot ability.

Oh and the Steam reviews.

Mind boggles lol.

12. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Double post

13. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    The Steam forums are awful, if you're trying to have a civil discussion about a game's quality, it being good or bad.

But, they can be fantastic in trouble shooting and problem solving.
    Let your mind boggle, again... you don't have to agree, just need to understand.

Kolt and cerebus23 like this.
  14. TR2N

TR2N Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD
    About time another player gave it to steams monopoly.

Competition is good.

15. Party Poison

Party Poison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090

Competition would imply its competing.

To compete would be having the games on both platforms and letting people choose, Enticing them with features or discounts.
    Buying it out so your the only place to have it is not competing.

My feelings on teh steam and epic stuff from another site, When someone mentioned he was glad that Epic did not have forums, reviews etc.

Thats good for you. You could just not use it though and let everyone else that does go about their business, Rather than be glad something has gone to a platform without features you yourself do not use.

A lot of people do use those other features, at a glance you can see if a game is broken as crap.
    You can check player numbers before buying into a dead game right there, The forums can have help for technical issues or fixes, Tell you if a games recent patch has broken it.

In home streaming is a huge plus that epic does not have, Same with cloud saves. Epic has shitty customer service and a refund policy handled through manual tickets.

Competition is great.

But If the Epic launcher was even remotely comparable to Steam, then I wouldn't have so much of an issue. Steam launched in 2003. To give the Epic launcher a pass because steam didn't have those features when itself launched 16 years ago is laughable.

Standards have changed.

To be competitive they need to innovate, or be better. Steam doesn't have a monopoly what it has is a user base.

The largest user base for third party games on the pc platform with features that nothing else touches, wether you use them or not. Millions of others do.

EA and Uplay put their games on their launches because then they control it, it's one less hoop to jump through.

They can do it because it's their games, but not always to their benefit. I see loads of people happy to buy uplay games on Steam or origin. Buy AC odyssey on Steam and it still boots up uplay.

Steam is not the only person selling these game, But people still choose to buy it on steam.
    But people want it consolidated as much as possible. They know steam, they've always used steam.

For some people browsing the steam forum for a fix is as far as their knowledge goes.
    You need to look past the fact that just because you don't use it doesn't mean its not important.

It's not what Steam did have, it's what it has now.

AsiJu and cerebus23 like this.

16. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    There's the Humble Store, Green Man Gaming, and many other sites. They all sell the same games. And GOG, which doesn't use Steam of course, but it also sells many of the same games nonetheless.

The epic store is the opposite of what you think it is: it tries to lock you into a single store, preventing competition. The steam store allows competition by design. Developers can sell their games elsewhere, in stores that compete with each other and with the steam store.

In the whole history of steam's existence, there's never been an exclusivity deal. Not once. And it's been around for many years now. But what is the first thing the epic store does as soon as it opens? Bribe publishers to get exclusivity deals, completely inhibiting competition.

You said "competition is good." That means the epic store is bad.

lucidus, AsiJu and cerebus23 like this.
  17. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Curious, but what version of Metro Exodus are you playing, Steam or EGS? And have you done any kind of tweaks for the game? I did a Google search for "hairworks stuttering Metro Exodus" and sure enough, other people are having the same problem as me.

Reddit thread 1
    Reddit thread 2

So it's definitely causing a problem for some people, though not for everyone.

18. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    I’ve had this too, I think it’s the sudden added GPU load from hairworks as the enemy spawns in that causes it. Only a quick single stutter for me though and only in areas where I’m maxed out on GPU load or close to it.

19. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    So did you disable HW or do you still have it on? I'm going to try overclocking my GPU and see if that helps.

20. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    I’ve left it on, it’s not something that happens too often for me playing at 3440x1440, but might be more an issue for people at 4K.