Intel Processor Refresh in Spring - 100 MHz bumps

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Just do not have firefox with multiple tabs and some flash/video player running on second screen eating one CPU core off. My problem with i5 was that it 1st became one main task system. Multitasking in gaming became almost impossible in many cases. Then it had performance problems even without anything running in background.
    4C/8T in gaming is now in phase where you really have to be careful about what kind of multitasking you do with your PC.
    (Taking away multitasking from PC is like having gaming console. No sane person can advocate that.)

carnivore likes this.
  2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Intel Board " If we continue, business as usual people will continue to think we #1 with no competition"

And this coming from me who as refused to use anything but Intel for 2 decades, Next Computer if I make one will be AMD Ryzen

unless you running un cap framerates and or 100hz or higher monitors it dont mater and end of day they both are gona push 60fps fine, both have more then enough STP at this point, but now AMD is offer more core for less and have same performance.

what will Intel say when AMD actual has the fund and say beat this for less?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  3. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    100 MHz for only $200 more? ;) Just a guess, I did not read the article.

4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Maybe we can make poll on how many of us did click to see article and how many did read it too.
    (I did click. But my interest ended there. Intel's refreshes are not exciting for quite a few years.)

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I agree with your first point; 4c/8t is becoming the new "minimum requirement" in gaming. However, I'm not sure I entirely agree with your 2nd point. I'm not saying I would advocate for reducing multitasking, but, I don't see a problem with it either. If I'm playing a game, anything else I'm doing that demands more cores is either distracting me or not grabbing enough of my attention to warrant the need for me to do it. When I play games, I hardly run any other background processes on the same PC. However, in the event I do care about multitasking, I have enough other computers on-hand (like a laptop or my server) where I can just use one of those next to my gaming PC. Not only does this allow me to buy cheaper, quieter hardware all-around, it also becomes more convenient since I never need to alt+tab. I also get another display, another set of inputs, and better overall stability.

All that being said, playing stuff like music in the background or running some chat service isn't going to affect your performance at all. If you've got something like a youtube video playing for other background noise, you can always minimize it and switch to a new tab to reduce CPU overhead from rendering the video (or, just stick it in 240p). If you're a streamer, yeah, you're probably going to need better hardware.

Anyway, there are plenty of good reasons to play on PC without taking advantage of multitasking. In fact, for most of PC gaming history, multitasking wasn't really feasible without paying a really high premium on some really fancy hardware, but there was still an appeal to it vs consoles.

6. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    next time read the article and don't guess.

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Understandable. I am simply used to use 2 screens and almost always do more things at once.

8. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I´ve bought a 7600K because the only demanding stuff i do is gaming, like you, and so far i´ve been happy with it. It´s overclocked to 5.0Ghz and it works like a charm with my 1080Ti, both driving my 144Hz screen perfectly. But despite all this my next CPU is probably going to be from AMD because of the "stunt" Intel pulled with the Z170/270/370/470 chipsets, changing the the layout of the pins of the last 2 to prevent users of the first 2 to upgrade to the 8xxx and 9xxx Intel CPUs artificially. This really pissed me of and it´s probably making me change to AMD, at least they know how to treat their customers properly.

9. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Intel have always been like that, new cpu = new motherboard, ever since I remember.

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Do you not remember socket 1, 478, 775, or 1366? Those took forever (relatively speaking) to get obsoleted. Sure, it might not have be as long-lived as AM2 or AM3, but they had pretty good runs.

carnivore and Undying like this.

11. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    I dont think the infinity fabric itself that is the problem, its really the speed, if you look at it , with "3200mhz"(real clock 1600mhz) memory the fabric runs at a mere 1600mhz on zen gen 1, where as intel's uncore runs at like > 3000mhz on a skylake cpu, and can be clocked independently from the memory. I think thats where the big difference in latency comes from,

12. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    As much as I like fast cores and overclocking, we don't need another pointless refresh.

13. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I think you're missing the point, which is that they were completely unnecessary. Intel could have made their CPUs compatible with older boards but decided to force users to update. This is why AMD's support for AM4 is so important - as a first-gen X370 board user, I will be able to use the upcoming Ryzen 3000 series (and possibly 4000) series without sacrificing my perfectly functional board.

14. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    I remember 286 back in the early 90s. I was on about recent Intel trends.

15. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    I'm not missing the point at all. Yes, Intel forces people to upgrade cpu+motherboard with each generation. Are those forced motherboard upgrades necessary? No.

But, Intel had monopoly for so many years, they could do whatever they wanted and they did just that. Doesn't mean I was wrong in saying that Intel has "always" been like that ("recently").

16. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    I remember 286 back in the early 90s. Hell, I remember even back before 286. I remember 5.25 floppy drives and green CGA displays on some 80s IBM computers at college. I was on about recent Intel trends

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  17. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    Nah, Intel is pretty predictable. :D

18. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    If you really think Intel are going to charge close to £700 for a 9900k you should just unsubscribe from this forum. To stop the embarrassment and all.

19. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    And just would they not? They already have a 9900k for over $500, why would they sell a refresh for the same price?

20. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    That makes no sense