Nvidia promises to improve image quality issues with DLSS

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
  2. ThEcLiT

ThEcLiT Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 460 1gb OC
    And Adaptive Ray Tracing is coming... (can be also used for DLSS?)

https://schedule.gdconf.com/session...aptive-ray-tracing-presented-by-nvidia/865249

" We discuss a pragmatic approach to real-time supersampling that extends common temporal antialiasing techniques with adaptive ray tracing. We have integrated our solution into Unreal Engine 4, and demonstrate how it removes the blurring and ghosting artifacts associated with standard temporal antialiasing, achieves quality approaching 16x supersampling, and operates within a 16ms frame budget. "

" Attendees will learn how to add next generation antialiasing to their game engine by improving TAA with adaptive real-time ray tracing. "

3. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    They actually showed this tech off before at the last GDC but the performance hit was pretty severe and they seemed to be guiding it towards the architectural visualization market. I guess they found a way to increase performance.

https://research.nvidia.com/publication/2018-08_Adaptive-Temporal-Antialiasing

Guess they got it to work within 33ms to 16. Seems cool.

4. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    That's still only a best case of 62 fps though - 16ms frametime equates to that.

5. HWgeek

HWgeek Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6200 Turbo Fotce @500/600 8x1p
    https://www.classlawgroup.com/consumer-protection/false-advertising/laws/
    I feel like RTX owners could unite and sue Nvidiay maybe for false advertising? (I am not a lawyer just posting my thoghts).
    The beautiful demos without the FPS hit with RTX ON on RTX launch , No games to test when reviews went live, the unrealistic DEMO of DLSS with Port Royal, and some articles before launch "Just Buy It".
    I think that if there is AMD lawsuit over false Bulldozer chip marketing, then this is even more possible?.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  6. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I'm not a lawyer, but honestly, if this works and people could sue Nvidia because of all this, one should sue practically every company around for this. False advertisement is the common practice in every field. And as well, one still has to think about what is false in those advertisements... what did they "promise", and what did people get? I wouldn't bet my money on Nvidia having to pay, or AMD for this matter. Most of the time you get a discount on your purchase anyway, or did one ever get the chance to give their card back for a full refund? I doubt it.

7. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    They should promise affordable hardware.

8. HWgeek

HWgeek Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6200 Turbo Fotce @500/600 8x1p
    I think there is enough material on the web that some good lawyers could use :), this is their profession lol.
    They Promised RT and DLSS since the performance per $$ remaind the same like Pascal, so you only paid for those features and we all know how they came to be after many month after launch, moreover the lawyers could claim that there was no info about ~50% performance lost with RT enabled and that the DLSS demo in PortRoyal could even more convinse the customer to buy the card, and only now we saw the first games implementing DLSS and now we have this crazy Vaseline drama and NV apologizes, I think there is good chance they could be sued.

Of course I not a lawyer, but this days everybody can sue for everything lol- who knows?:), just posting my thoughts.
    P.S ; this is why we all have those funny labels :)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    But he looks happy...

10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    If it's really doing the quality equivalent of 16x supersampling I guess I don't mind? Honestly ever since I got g-sync as long as the framerate is consistently 50fps+ I don't even care anymore (for single player titles that is - mplay I'm still looking for 100+).

If AMD didn't get sued for saying 4GB of HBM exceeds the capability of 12GB of GDDR5 then I doubt Nvidia will get sued for this.

Also there are more features of Turing that you're paying for aside from RT/DLSS. That's not to mention that people are upgrading from non-pascal cards - they're paying for additional performance.

Robbo9999 and Xtreme1979 like this.

11. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    NVIDIA released a product no-one was asking for at a time when no-one needed it and with software that clearly wasn't finished for games that weren't ready for it at a price that most people didn't want to pay. Is it any wonder that there's so much negativity surrounding the RTX cards?

I skipped it as I didn't believe the £500 price hike over the GTX 1080 Ti I currently own was worth it for the 2080 Ti. And that proved to be a sensible decision on the scarcity of RTX and DLSS enhanced games in the last six months and the lacklustre reaction to it.

I lost interest in DLSS as soon as I learnt it was just upscaling from a lower resolution. I can already do that with my GTX 1080 Ti and according to Hardware Unboxed you can get cleaner image quality doing this at the same performance cost as using DLSS on the RTX cards so it kinds of negates the entire point of using it in the first place. And if I'd paid £1,200 for a high-end GPU to game at 4K then I certainly wouldn't want to be using 'tricks' like DLSS to run games at a lower resolution just so I have the performance to also use RTX ray-tracing as well.

To be honest, I haven't been that blown away by the ray-tracing features of RTX enabled games so far. Battlefield V is a game that doesn't interest me and while RTX does make Metro Exodus look nicer in terms of lighting when comparing static screenshots (though somewhat dark and hard to make out details in places), having been playing the game on Xbox One X I cannot say that I particularly noticed that the lighting wasn't 100% accurate.

And that's really the point here; if you're the sort of person who likes to scrutinise graphics in your game then RTX is going to really be appealing. However, for most people, myself included, as long as the faked reflections, lighting and shadows look convincing then the fact they aren't accurate means little to nothing. What I want from my high-end GPU is performance to render the graphics at maximum non-RTX settings with the best framerate possible and at a price I can afford.

Fox2232, Robbo9999, carnivore and 2 others like this.
  12. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Yeah, I agree with all that, but I'm just a bit more positive about ray tracing both now & in the future, definitely agree with all your other points.

13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Well the Metro patch came out and people are saying image quality with DLSS is massively improved. Still slightly blurry but no where near what it was.

https://imgur.com/gallery/hjCl7EP

fantaskarsef and Robbo9999 like this.
  14. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Yep, so DLSS, Doesn't Look So S***!.

(At least in Metro Exodus)

:p

HWgeek likes this.
  15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Why all those nVidia's new things turn into memes these days?

16. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    That looks a lot better now than what it was.

17. Xtreme1979

Xtreme1979 Guest

The aliasing in the background is certainly more pronounced without DLSS. Nice improvement with the updated patch.

18. KBDE

KBDE Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI TRIO RTX 4900
    Haha, no that's not an improvement. Open the pics in a new tab and zoom in looking at the structure above the truck. (or any other place for that matter)
    To me it looks like the blurry DLSS image has just been sharpened with a bad sharpening filter destroying whatever image quality that was left to begin with.

To bad, i had high hopes of this tech..

19. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    It Just Works!

20. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Nice improvement. I guess now I could be hitting solid 80fps+ at 1440p Ultra and RT+DLSS. Good times.