Review: Metro Exodus: PC graphics performance analysis

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    If you like it, that's all that matters. Personally I think this game rocks, the atmosphere and lighting are simply superb and the whole game world is just stunning.

pharma likes this.
  2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    After seeing following, I prefer RTX OFF visuals, they are objectively more detailed. And due to overblown attempts to make shadows extra pronounced, RTX lighting system is too dark where it should not be because it ignores light scattering and gives even white materials too small ability to reflect light.

If they took ambient light in RTX OFF mode and toned it tiny bit down + took all those "bright" dynamic shadows and made them darker a bit, then it would win everywhere.
    (Lighting system in place is good, it is just improperly tuned to make RTX look better.)

Scene comparison at 8:45 is downright scary, you do not even need fps meter to know.

airbud7 and BetA like this.
  3. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    Maybe, if they are not using money they themselves earned. For normal people, this is a game they wont buy because it's requirements are just ridiculous and the game itself isn't really long enough or good looking enough to warrant a 1000$ GPU upgrade. That's my opinion anyway. We shall see when sales numbers pop up. I remember Cevat Yeril being disappointed with sales of first Crysis game, which had exactly the same "problem" as this Metro does.

4. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    The trick is all in the optimization. There are awesome looking games that are very demanding but can still look good with lowered settings. Game studios that ignore optimizing for the lower HW tiers and solely focus on the high end dont have much respect in my book.

carnivore, RzrTrek and gx-x like this.

5. Bansaku

Bansaku Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64
    So where are the DX11 results?!

6. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Definitely prefer Ray Tracing on. It really adds to the atmosphere of the game. Absolutely loving this so far. Best FPS I have played in many a year.

pharma likes this.
  7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I kinda agree. Gamers needs to adapt to these changes. Raytracing is making some of the scenes much darker. I know, if there is no nonexistent light source area should not be lit but thats not how games worked so far. Yes it looks "realistic" but you miss much of the details we used to see before.

8. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    [4K] Metro Exodus PC/RTX Analysis: The Next Level In Real-Time Visuals

This video shows off just how good Ray Tracing looks in this game. Honestly, if you have time it's well worth watching.

pharma, JonasBeckman and Undying like this.
  9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Makes me wanna get an rtx card ( i never thought i'd say that). I cant really afford more than 2070 but that card does not worth 550euro imo.

airbud7, pharma and Maddness like this.
  10. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    2070 isn't enough for 1080p/60fps. So it would 550€ wasted since you wouldn't get what you wanted out of it. Just wait a year or two, then play the game. those 2080Ti's are gonna be under 600e used.

Undying likes this.

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Or even better Amd will support rt. ;)

Maddness likes this.
  12. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    In 2 years a mid range GPU will perform better than the 2080ti.

airbud7 likes this.
  13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    It does not look "realistic" at all. Just visit some cave once in the life. One weak source of light does miracles. If sunlight which is pretty brutal source of light gets in...
    Our eyes detect light in given wave lengths for reason... because those wave lengths are best (Sun provides) at reflecting from materials.

Turanis likes this.
  14. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  15. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    It runs fine for me on Win 7, 3440x1440, Ultra, Tess. on, Hairworks on, Phys. On, not checked the framerate, but very playable so far, ive only made it as far as metting that Yanek bloke though, as i want to get Resi 7 finished off (as playing that at present), then the Resi Remake done before i tackle it proper.

16. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    Next thing you'll tell us is that you are running it in DX12, on win 7.

edit: Forgot to put :D up there ;)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    Rich_Guy likes this.
  17. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Sitting at around 40 FPS here if I use 3840x2160 (1.5x shading/res scale or just VSR.) so capping at 30 FPS I imagine it could work though with dips in the bigger outdoor areas and I am limited by RAM and CPU so that's another 20 - 30% deficiency or worse since I was quite unaware just how big of a gap high-speed DDR4 made especially in larger open and semi open world games. :)
    (More Gigabytes doesn't hurt either. :p )

Advanced PhysX is no go though, single digit framerate if that's on during the intro segment so it's hitting the CPU too hard. (4930k already has several improvements, 5930k and the newer Lakes and on are even better even if it's still primarily a GPU limit at 2560x1440 and of course 3840x2160)

(Though the random pebbles are nice and all but I want something like in Division and ripping chunks out of the stuff I'm blasting even if it's pointless since in that game it's visual only and still treated as physically there so no fancy drilling through the wall and capping people in the ass and getting creative. https://abload.de/img/div2_044yj0b.jpg )

EDIT: DX12 has too many issues so DX11 (Steam version.) maybe patches will resolve some of it but it might need a new driver and well a clean Win10 install for 19H1 wouldn't hurt either, get that junk out...or reduced a bit. :p

EDIT: Also the game seems quite fine with quad core still but hexa might show some improvement, need to look for tests from the later levels.
    (So it's down to clock speed and efficiency, nothing new there though. :D Hexa's helped and all but it's just too old now.)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  18. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    Biggest disappointment for me is that the game doesn't support DX12 multi GPU

19. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
  20. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    It can barely run it at 1080p/60fps. Original titan would not run exodus, maybe low settings 1080p with and no where near 60fps. Same goes for other flagship cards on that list.